Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 02:39 PM

9 posts, read 16,685 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
Going to give you a brief synopsis of where I'm at right now and would appreciate any feedback about making a move out to LA (welcome negative AND positive).

I'm a 24 yr old single male and a 2010 graduate from a State University in New York (SUNY) with a degree in business marketing. After taking a job and working in my hometown Syracuse for a year, I quit last summer to move to Boston to be closer to friends and pursue new opportunities. I know in this economy that the sound of quitting a decent job without anything lined up sounds like suicide but I had truly outgrown Syracuse and needed to make a drastic change.

About a month ago I visited CA for the 1st time and couldn't find too many things I didn't like about it. Loved the beaches, the people, and I'm a huge skier so I think it's awesome how close the 2 are. I think the only thing that would get to me is the traffic but I realized the other day - I'll take personal space sitting in my car as opposed to getting packed like a sardine into the T. So now I'm heavily considering a move to LA as my brother just moved there and have 2 other friends that I could live with, so housing would not be an issue. I have no interest in becoming famous or living the high life as I just want to get a good solid job in the realm of marketing, sports, software, or sales and enjoy some of the best scenery in the nation. I know it's expensive out there, but let's be honest, Boston is no bargain city itself.

Few questions...
1. Does the massive income disparity effect you guys at all?
2. I'd like to hear from people actually working/looking for work - how is the job market out there?
3. And lastly, I know this has been beaten to death, but how can I really avoid my resume from getting tossed in the garbage with a NE address on it?

Thanks for the invaluable insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 03:03 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidfrankie View Post
Hey everyone,
Going to give you a brief synopsis of where I'm at right now and would appreciate any feedback about making a move out to LA (welcome negative AND positive).

I'm a 24 yr old single male and a 2010 graduate from a State University in New York (SUNY) with a degree in business marketing. After taking a job and working in my hometown Syracuse for a year, I quit last summer to move to Boston to be closer to friends and pursue new opportunities. I know in this economy that the sound of quitting a decent job without anything lined up sounds like suicide but I had truly outgrown Syracuse and needed to make a drastic change.

About a month ago I visited CA for the 1st time and couldn't find too many things I didn't like about it. Loved the beaches, the people, and I'm a huge skier so I think it's awesome how close the 2 are. I think the only thing that would get to me is the traffic but I realized the other day - I'll take personal space sitting in my car as opposed to getting packed like a sardine into the T. So now I'm heavily considering a move to LA as my brother just moved there and have 2 other friends that I could live with, so housing would not be an issue. I have no interest in becoming famous or living the high life as I just want to get a good solid job in the realm of marketing, sports, software, or sales and enjoy some of the best scenery in the nation. I know it's expensive out there, but let's be honest, Boston is no bargain city itself.

Few questions...
2. I'd like to hear from people actually working/looking for work - how is the job market out there?
3. And lastly, I know this has been beaten to death, but how can I really avoid my resume from getting tossed in the garbage with a NE address on it?

RE: #3 - Use your brother's address.

I lived in Boston for a while and it is probably more expensive than Los Angeles. You certainly get more for your money here.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:08 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,585 times
I'm originally from Boston, moved to TX and am now in LA. I gotta say LA is way cheaper than Boston, especially if you move in the outskirts like Burbank, NoHo, Valley Village, Valley Glenn and Sherman Oaks.

I lived in Harvard Square and paid 950 for a room in a four bedroom two story town home. Everything was literally out of my price range.

You can make LA fit your budget and become one of the many many many Angelinos that make it look like they have more than they do. Shop at H&M, go to the East Hollywood bars, see great live music in Los Feliz, meet some aspiring comic friends, etc. You can make it an exciting life as you work your way toward the West Side.

LA is proly the most dynamic city in the US.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
You are in a perfect position to move to LA. You can always change your mind and move away but I can't see any reason not to try it.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:45 AM

29 posts, read 134,841 times
I think I can give you some valuable insight. I just turned 28 and I moved to LA almost three months ago after spending several years in Boston. Like you, I came here without a job and eager to find work. So far it's been a good and bad experience. But the important thing is, I don't regret it one bit. No matter what happens, it's better then spending a lifetime wondering what it would have been like. Sometimes you have to see what's out there despite what everyone says.

OVERALL

LA is amazing. I am a person that tends to hype things and inflate expectations to the point where they can't be met, often resulting in disappointment. But LA lived up to everything.

There is so much substance, so much diversity, so much texture in this city — it blows my mind. I felt like Boston’s primary demographics are college students, “bros” (recent grads still living the college lifestyle) and yuppies. Sure you have your free-spirited areas like Davis Square in Somerville, but overall, Boston feels like a very homogeneous city.

Out here, the people, the food, the geography, the neighborhoods, the things to do — it’s ridiculous how diverse and exciting they all are. I really can’t imagine living anywhere else. This is truly a city I can spend the rest of my life loving and singing about. If you’re into trying new things, meeting new people, constantly being amazed and excited, exploring new areas and enjoying a more exciting lifestyle, then this is it — you’ll find no place comparable. If you want to get in line and march toward mediocrity with the rest of the world, hiding in your cubicle and watching TV at home, then LA isn’t for you. And it’s those type of people that tend to complain the most about things like traffic, etc. Most everyone else just lives life and enjoys the **** out of this place. There is something electric in the air here and I don’t think it’s the smog (which is another overblown stereotype).

With great weather, record-low crime, amazing diversity, super-high tolerance and neighborhoods like Downtown making comebacks, it’s a great time to move to LA.

The economy is the only real bummer.

JOBS

It is brutal here. ****ing brutal. And in my estimation, worsening each day.

I've been out here for three months working hard and applying for jobs every day. I have a BA from a great East Coast school, I have a great (though scattershot) work history and I have excelled in every job I've had. I’m intelligent, creative, sociable and my aptitude is through-the-roof. Yet I am totally despondent at this point. Just hopeless. As my savings dwindle, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I moved out here with like $11K savings. I've probably got another two to three months before it's all gone. I’ve had I think three interviews that went well, but didn’t lead to anything. It’s really tough, as I imagine it is elsewhere. Despite what you hear in the news and what President Obama says, the economy isn’t recovering worth ****.

These days you need two things to get a job:

1) A work history and skills that match the position you are applying for almost exactly.
2) Networking/connections.

What about the days when companies hired bright, capable people with unlimited potential and trained them? Even though that's the better approach in the long run (for the company), businesses today want to hire people that have already done the job they’re trying to fill. They don't care that that's all those people will do for the rest of their lives. They just want to plug robots into cubicles.

So hopefully there are some jobs out here you have worked before. You might also have some connections. Otherwise it's going to be tough. I feel like every job I apply for, there are probably a hundred or more people who have more applicable experience than I do applying for the same position. And I guarantee that even though I went to a good school, out here it means ****. All the USCs, UCLAs, etc (which are great schools too) are going to get stacked above a small, liberal arts college in Maine nobody out here as probably even heard of. And these days a college degree is more a requirement to check off the list than something that actually gets you a job, save networking through your alumni association.

Also, having food-service experience could be a big help. Those jobs are tough too, without experience you won’t even be considered as a bartender, barback, waiter, host, etc. So you’re getting squeezed out on both ends. But if you have experience in that area, it could help to tide you over during tougher times.

COST

I don't keep track of groceries and all that stuff, but I think it's more expensive to rent in LA than in Boston. Sure, BarcelonaFan paid $950 to rent a room in Harvard Square, but along with Beacon Hill, the North End and a couple other hoods, Harvard Square is one of the most desirable places to live in the Boston area. Even so, I knew many people who lived in that area for much less than $950. I never paid more than $650/month when I lived in Boston (I always had roommates). On the other hand, I have a friend who has a nice single on Beacon Hill and he pays $1250 — which he considers a steal.

The important thing to understand is that you can live in the nicer parts of Boston for much cheaper than you can live in the nicer parts of LA. Sure, there is cheaper rent in places like Burbank and Sherman Oaks. But you're 24. You're not moving across the country to live in Sherman Oaks. You can find tons of places to live for $500/month in Quincy, Lynn, Revere, (anywhere on the north shore for that matter), but it's not worth the extra $2 K/year you save on rent versus living in Boston.

And out here, where you live is a much bigger deal because everything is so spread out. You can't hop on a train in Sherman Oaks and be in Santa Monica or Long Beach in 30 minutes. If you are going to go through the hassle of moving out here, you should live in one of the more enjoyable areas. And that costs. I'm kicking around from place to place and paying upwards of $1K/month. But that's for furnished, short-term rentals. You can probably do better with a more traditional lease.

And of course another huge factor is if you're willing to live with roommates. The prices of singles and studios in LA/Boston are probably not too far apart, though I think there are fewer economical options out here. You can always find a cheaper place in Boston that isn’t quite so nice, but not dumpy or in a bad area. Here there seems to be a greater extreme. Places tend to be nice and expensive or cheap and complete ****. But my experience with renting here is really limited.

It’s important to understand just how massive LA is. Drive from North Station in Boston to the Brookline/Newton border. The same distance in LA won’t even get you a third of the way across the basin — nevermind the Valley or down toward Orange County. Boston is such a dense, little city with decent public transportation. LA is a bunch of smaller cities and centralized neighborhoods sprawled over a wide area with public transportation that is getting better, but lacking. In my mind, it’s important to live somewhere safe, fun and with a centralized district nearby, and also a place that is convenient to the rest of LA.

Since you'll be living with your buddies, you'll have plenty of time to figure all that out.

TRAFFIC

Honestly, all the negative things you hear about traffic in LA make me shake my head. I think they're coming from people that tend to be settled down and in unfavorable situations. For example, if you have a house and family in El Segundo, and your kids are in good schools there, taking a better job in Hollywood and suffering the commute is going to suck. But if you're 24 and single? ****, you just move to Hollywood or WeHo and live close to work. And since you have a temp housing situation set up, you can settle down within LA after you find permanent work.

Boston traffic is much worse than LA traffic. Since Boston lacks a real grid system, and since many of the streets are one-way, getting around is a nightmare. There's also a shortage of highways in Boston. Traffic during rush hour is just as bad on the Mass Pike and I-93 as it is on the 10 and the 405. But in LA, things seem to keep moving. It may take you way longer to get where you're going, but things keep moving. I can't tell you how many times in Boston traffic just stopped and you had to sit still forever or get off the highway and find another route. And in the city, you go down the wrong one-way street and you're toast.

PEOPLE

I find Boston people to have that traditional, New England iciness that everyone talks about. They’re just harder to converse with, especially the younger crowd. People don’t seem to want to interact with anyone they don’t know and anyone who isn’t like them. Like I said, a real homogeneous place.

People out here are much warmer and friendlier. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve asked somebody for directions or a question about parking or some other bull**** and it’s turned into a conversation. And between the free spirits living by the beach and the aspiring whatevers living in Hollywood, there is such a range of people. It’s wonderful.

But most importantly, there is a very tolerant vibe in LA. People tend to think everybody here is pretentious. I have run into those types, especially around Hollywood. But guess what? They’re so into themselves that they don’t have enough energy to worry about what clothes you’re wearing or what car you drive. This is a very accepting place. Other transplants I’ve talked to here have felt the same way.

And don’t get me started about the girls. I believe the stretch of Comm. Ave. that runs by Boston University was voted by playboy as the best place in the U.S. to gaze upon beautiful women. But it has nothing on LA. The girls here are less snooty, warmer and are very put together, with a real sense of style. There is also every race/combination of races you could hope for. Lots of gorgeous, exotic looking women.

YOUR RESUME CONUNDRUM

Use your brother's address. You have no shot applying with a non-LA address.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidfrankie View Post
Hey everyone,

Few questions...

We no longer live in Ca but have family still there and we still own property in No Ca.

At your age, why not give it a shot? You are single, seem like the type that likes adventure and you are living in Boston so you know about higher cost of living. Now, the downside, of course it is hard to get employment, but jobs do exist. It is the competition that is a mind bogglere.

Yes, the cost of living is out of sight, living with your brother would save you a lot, but how long can you stay with him? Has he had trouble finding a job?

The resume question can not be answered. The best you can do is give your brothers address.

The best advise I can give you (and this is coming from a little old lady) the grass is always greener on the other side. Yes, Ca is beautiful, but I have visited a lot of places throughout the country and they too, are beautiful. You are right about friendly, though I do not think people in So Ca are exceptionally friendly compared to many places in the country, they are friendlier than in the No East.

Nita

Old 07-01-2012, 12:12 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,585 times
Brian K pretty much hit it on the nail. LA is probably the best abd most dynamic major city in the US. I love Boston but it was an icy, super traditional, yuppified town. If you are not rocking a pair of Sperry Topsiders with an Oxford long sleeve shirt, you aren't going to be taken seriously. Which is ironic because here in LA you probably won't be taken too seriously if you're not sporting a couple of sleeve tattoos, a white or black V-neck from H&M, a pair of skinny jeans, aviators, Vans or Chucks, and a spiky haircut.

In Boston the guys gress like old men, in LA the men dress like teenagers. I kid you not. But that's what makes LA so great is that the traditional stick up your bum WASPy social order is almost non existent!

Imagine my shock and excitement (coming from Boston and Texas) that WASPs and Good Ol' Boys do not run the city. Diversity, tolerance and a fierce anti racist attitude is dominant here and I love that.

And my god are the people friendly here! Genuinely friendly. The whole southern hospitality thing is a myth. I didn't even this level if friendliness existed among strangers. People actually apologize to you when they're blocking your right of way. LOL! In Houston, you, the pedestian apologizes for blocking a car from moving forward, even if you have the right to wall through. I can't tell you how many times I thought I was going to get cussed at for being in someones way and instead I get apologies as though they broke the law or something.

Yes, the job situation is tough but there are an abundance of menial office jobs and retail work for 10-15 bucks an hour if that helps you out at all. With a college degree from a good school and proficient knowledge with MS Excel, Word, Powepoint, etc., you will be put on top of the list. My first week here My fiance applied for ten jobs and got call backs from six. She interviewed for four and three had the best offers. She was working her second week at a call center making quick money until she heard back from the office positions.

So if you're willing to downgrade and work menial jobs in your area close to work, there are plenty. But you're also proly going to have room with someone.

Women wise, I'm from Texas which in my opinion has the most beautiful girls in the country (the world maybe), so I wasn't going to be impressed with Cali girls but I was. The girls here are gorgeous and seem more approachable. In Texas the hottest girls are looking for the best looking good ol boy types to take them into suburban territory. If you don't look like a country singer, a cammo hat wearing kicker, or a southern preppy douche, you're not going near the belles in Texas.

But here it seems like the girls look at your personality, what talents you have, if you can make it in the industry. The good ol' boy will not land a chick here. You gotta be crazy eclectic in your style to attract people. But it seems like a West LA girl would be far harder to attract than a down to earth LA hipster on the other side?

Trust me when I say LA is another world. It's not like the rest of the country at all.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:34 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,231,569 times
As someone who grew up in Boston and now lives in LA, I have to say brian_k totally hit the nail on the head. Dead-on post.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:41 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Brian K pretty much hit it on the nail. LA is probably the best abd most dynamic major city in the US. I love Boston but it was an icy, super traditional, yuppified town. If you are not rocking a pair of Sperry Topsiders with an Oxford long sleeve shirt, you aren't going to be taken seriously. Which is ironic because here in LA you probably won't be taken too seriously if you're not sporting a couple of sleeve tattoos, a white or black V-neck from H&M, a pair of skinny jeans, aviators, Vans or Chucks, and a spiky haircut.

In Boston the guys gress like old men, in LA the men dress like teenagers. I kid you not. But that's what makes LA so great is that the traditional stick up your bum WASPy social order is almost non existent!

Imagine my shock and excitement (coming from Boston and Texas) that WASPs and Good Ol' Boys do not run the city. Diversity, tolerance and a fierce anti racist attitude is dominant here and I love that.

And my god are the people friendly here! Genuinely friendly. The whole southern hospitality thing is a myth. I didn't even this level if friendliness existed among strangers. People actually apologize to you when they're blocking your right of way. LOL! In Houston, you, the pedestian apologizes for blocking a car from moving forward, even if you have the right to wall through. I can't tell you how many times I thought I was going to get cussed at for being in someones way and instead I get apologies as though they broke the law or something.

Yes, the job situation is tough but there are an abundance of menial office jobs and retail work for 10-15 bucks an hour if that helps you out at all. With a college degree from a good school and proficient knowledge with MS Excel, Word, Powepoint, etc., you will be put on top of the list. My first week here My fiance applied for ten jobs and got call backs from six. She interviewed for four and three had the best offers. She was working her second week at a call center making quick money until she heard back from the office positions.

So if you're willing to downgrade and work menial jobs in your area close to work, there are plenty. But you're also proly going to have room with someone.

Women wise, I'm from Texas which in my opinion has the most beautiful girls in the country (the world maybe), so I wasn't going to be impressed with Cali girls but I was. The girls here are gorgeous and seem more approachable. In Texas the hottest girls are looking for the best looking good ol boy types to take them into suburban territory. If you don't look like a country singer, a cammo hat wearing kicker, or a southern preppy douche, you're not going near the belles in Texas.

But here it seems like the girls look at your personality, what talents you have, if you can make it in the industry. The good ol' boy will not land a chick here. You gotta be crazy eclectic in your style to attract people. But it seems like a West LA girl would be far harder to attract than a down to earth LA hipster on the other side?

Trust me when I say LA is another world. It's not like the rest of the country at all.
Very interesting post. I am also a transplant to LA from the Chicago suburbs. Chicago is a world class city in many ways, and an amazing city to visit, with a skyline and downtown to blow anyone away, but it too has more in common with Boston and Houston in terms of the cosmopolitan mindset. Meaning it is globally important, attracts people from all over the world to its opportunities, etc. but still has a certain limited mindset amongst enough of its native to make one feel that there has to be more than this.

If Houston is still run by good ole' boys, and Boston is still run by WASPS, then Chicago is run by "Reagan Democrats." Which is exactly what the Daleys and his ilk are/were. Essentially 3rd generation white Catholic working class grandchildren of factory workers. Being of working class roots, still identify Democrats as looking out for them, yet torn because they are somewhat socially conservative, feel deep down a little contemptuous at minorities receiving too many handouts (usually blown out of proportion), etc. Essentially while Chicago stands out in the industrial midwest as being world class in terms of urban living, cultural amenities, transit, the city is run by the same cultural fabric of the people that fled the inner cities of Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh and moved to respective suburbs.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:49 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_k View Post
I think I can give you some valuable insight. I just turned 28 and I moved to LA almost three months ago after spending several years in Boston. Like you, I came here without a job and eager to find work. So far it's been a good and bad experience. But the important thing is, I don't regret it one bit. No matter what happens, it's better then spending a lifetime wondering what it would have been like. Sometimes you have to see what's out there despite what everyone says.

OVERALL

LA is amazing. I am a person that tends to hype things and inflate expectations to the point where they can't be met, often resulting in disappointment. But LA lived up to everything.

There is so much substance, so much diversity, so much texture in this city — it blows my mind. I felt like Boston’s primary demographics are college students, “bros” (recent grads still living the college lifestyle) and yuppies. Sure you have your free-spirited areas like Davis Square in Somerville, but overall, Boston feels like a very homogeneous city.

Out here, the people, the food, the geography, the neighborhoods, the things to do — it’s ridiculous how diverse and exciting they all are. I really can’t imagine living anywhere else. This is truly a city I can spend the rest of my life loving and singing about. If you’re into trying new things, meeting new people, constantly being amazed and excited, exploring new areas and enjoying a more exciting lifestyle, then this is it — you’ll find no place comparable. If you want to get in line and march toward mediocrity with the rest of the world, hiding in your cubicle and watching TV at home, then LA isn’t for you. And it’s those type of people that tend to complain the most about things like traffic, etc. Most everyone else just lives life and enjoys the **** out of this place. There is something electric in the air here and I don’t think it’s the smog (which is another overblown stereotype).

With great weather, record-low crime, amazing diversity, super-high tolerance and neighborhoods like Downtown making comebacks, it’s a great time to move to LA.

The economy is the only real bummer.

JOBS

It is brutal here. ****ing brutal. And in my estimation, worsening each day.

I've been out here for three months working hard and applying for jobs every day. I have a BA from a great East Coast school, I have a great (though scattershot) work history and I have excelled in every job I've had. I’m intelligent, creative, sociable and my aptitude is through-the-roof. Yet I am totally despondent at this point. Just hopeless. As my savings dwindle, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I moved out here with like $11K savings. I've probably got another two to three months before it's all gone. I’ve had I think three interviews that went well, but didn’t lead to anything. It’s really tough, as I imagine it is elsewhere. Despite what you hear in the news and what President Obama says, the economy isn’t recovering worth ****.

These days you need two things to get a job:

1) A work history and skills that match the position you are applying for almost exactly.
2) Networking/connections.

What about the days when companies hired bright, capable people with unlimited potential and trained them? Even though that's the better approach in the long run (for the company), businesses today want to hire people that have already done the job they’re trying to fill. They don't care that that's all those people will do for the rest of their lives. They just want to plug robots into cubicles.

So hopefully there are some jobs out here you have worked before. You might also have some connections. Otherwise it's going to be tough. I feel like every job I apply for, there are probably a hundred or more people who have more applicable experience than I do applying for the same position. And I guarantee that even though I went to a good school, out here it means ****. All the USCs, UCLAs, etc (which are great schools too) are going to get stacked above a small, liberal arts college in Maine nobody out here as probably even heard of. And these days a college degree is more a requirement to check off the list than something that actually gets you a job, save networking through your alumni association.

Also, having food-service experience could be a big help. Those jobs are tough too, without experience you won’t even be considered as a bartender, barback, waiter, host, etc. So you’re getting squeezed out on both ends. But if you have experience in that area, it could help to tide you over during tougher times.

COST

I don't keep track of groceries and all that stuff, but I think it's more expensive to rent in LA than in Boston. Sure, BarcelonaFan paid $950 to rent a room in Harvard Square, but along with Beacon Hill, the North End and a couple other hoods, Harvard Square is one of the most desirable places to live in the Boston area. Even so, I knew many people who lived in that area for much less than $950. I never paid more than $650/month when I lived in Boston (I always had roommates). On the other hand, I have a friend who has a nice single on Beacon Hill and he pays $1250 — which he considers a steal.

The important thing to understand is that you can live in the nicer parts of Boston for much cheaper than you can live in the nicer parts of LA. Sure, there is cheaper rent in places like Burbank and Sherman Oaks. But you're 24. You're not moving across the country to live in Sherman Oaks. You can find tons of places to live for $500/month in Quincy, Lynn, Revere, (anywhere on the north shore for that matter), but it's not worth the extra $2 K/year you save on rent versus living in Boston.

And out here, where you live is a much bigger deal because everything is so spread out. You can't hop on a train in Sherman Oaks and be in Santa Monica or Long Beach in 30 minutes. If you are going to go through the hassle of moving out here, you should live in one of the more enjoyable areas. And that costs. I'm kicking around from place to place and paying upwards of $1K/month. But that's for furnished, short-term rentals. You can probably do better with a more traditional lease.

And of course another huge factor is if you're willing to live with roommates. The prices of singles and studios in LA/Boston are probably not too far apart, though I think there are fewer economical options out here. You can always find a cheaper place in Boston that isn’t quite so nice, but not dumpy or in a bad area. Here there seems to be a greater extreme. Places tend to be nice and expensive or cheap and complete ****. But my experience with renting here is really limited.

It’s important to understand just how massive LA is. Drive from North Station in Boston to the Brookline/Newton border. The same distance in LA won’t even get you a third of the way across the basin — nevermind the Valley or down toward Orange County. Boston is such a dense, little city with decent public transportation. LA is a bunch of smaller cities and centralized neighborhoods sprawled over a wide area with public transportation that is getting better, but lacking. In my mind, it’s important to live somewhere safe, fun and with a centralized district nearby, and also a place that is convenient to the rest of LA.

Since you'll be living with your buddies, you'll have plenty of time to figure all that out.

TRAFFIC

Honestly, all the negative things you hear about traffic in LA make me shake my head. I think they're coming from people that tend to be settled down and in unfavorable situations. For example, if you have a house and family in El Segundo, and your kids are in good schools there, taking a better job in Hollywood and suffering the commute is going to suck. But if you're 24 and single? ****, you just move to Hollywood or WeHo and live close to work. And since you have a temp housing situation set up, you can settle down within LA after you find permanent work.

Boston traffic is much worse than LA traffic. Since Boston lacks a real grid system, and since many of the streets are one-way, getting around is a nightmare. There's also a shortage of highways in Boston. Traffic during rush hour is just as bad on the Mass Pike and I-93 as it is on the 10 and the 405. But in LA, things seem to keep moving. It may take you way longer to get where you're going, but things keep moving. I can't tell you how many times in Boston traffic just stopped and you had to sit still forever or get off the highway and find another route. And in the city, you go down the wrong one-way street and you're toast.

PEOPLE

I find Boston people to have that traditional, New England iciness that everyone talks about. They’re just harder to converse with, especially the younger crowd. People don’t seem to want to interact with anyone they don’t know and anyone who isn’t like them. Like I said, a real homogeneous place.

People out here are much warmer and friendlier. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve asked somebody for directions or a question about parking or some other bull**** and it’s turned into a conversation. And between the free spirits living by the beach and the aspiring whatevers living in Hollywood, there is such a range of people. It’s wonderful.

But most importantly, there is a very tolerant vibe in LA. People tend to think everybody here is pretentious. I have run into those types, especially around Hollywood. But guess what? They’re so into themselves that they don’t have enough energy to worry about what clothes you’re wearing or what car you drive. This is a very accepting place. Other transplants I’ve talked to here have felt the same way.

And don’t get me started about the girls. I believe the stretch of Comm. Ave. that runs by Boston University was voted by playboy as the best place in the U.S. to gaze upon beautiful women. But it has nothing on LA. The girls here are less snooty, warmer and are very put together, with a real sense of style. There is also every race/combination of races you could hope for. Lots of gorgeous, exotic looking women.

YOUR RESUME CONUNDRUM

Use your brother's address. You have no shot applying with a non-LA address.
Brian,

I truly wish you the best! Don't give up and stay focused, network/talk to people. You WILL find something! I agree that LA is pretty awesome.

I struggled a bit too. Actually I DID have a job lined up when I moved out here. But it was an awful, awful sales job (shady), and after a month I couldn't take it anymore, I looked at my investments savings, etc. and realized, I'll just quit, and look for something else.

I originally wanted to teach here (community college) but the state (where funding comes from is broke, and slashing budgets to the bone) so I knew I couldn't count on that.

Two months after I quit that awful sales job, I got a part time job working as a field technician collecting data on traffic patterns (which is actually somewhat related to what I went to school for), but at fist I barely got any hours. However my hours have slowly been increasing as I have proven myself dependable Guys that have been there for over a year doing what I do, actually complain more about being overworked, and wonder if it is worth the money. I guess I have that to look forward to. In my down time, I am working on a small online business selling some original teaching material I am creating. Its pretty new for me. But people do make some decent money doing that too. I'm not really making a lot right now, but I know between the two, things are definitely progressing in the right direction for me.

Anyways thought I would share my story. I know you'll make it. Be optimistic but realistic. Its tough out there. Just have a strategy and you'll do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles