Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:07 PM

19 posts, read 32,030 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this site. My husband recently received an offer from a job in Glendale. We live in MS right now and have always lived in the South so obviously LA is going to be a huge change for us. I have tried to research what the "good" areas of LA are and I am having trouble finding much. We have 3 small children so we are looking for a safe, family friendly area, close to Glendale. Hoping to rent a house around $2500/mo, and around 1600sf, 3br. We really like the look of Santa Clarita, but it would be a 45 min commute, not sure if we want that. We are homeschooling so schools arent super important, but we know the better the schools, the better the area (usually).

Can anyone tell me about Granada Hills? North Hollywood? Sylmar? Or anything around there? I like the look of Burbank but it seems it might be out of our price range. Maybe tell me what to stay away from?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by hilaree320; 01-30-2013 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,508 times
Glendale has some lovely areas. There are also some nice areas to the east in the San Gabriel Valley. Santa Clarita gets very hot in the summer - it's in the Antelope Valley and very near the Mojave Desert. Very dry heat - no humidity like in MS (I'm from TN so I know humidity). There has been wildfire activity in that area pretty regularly the past few years though the build up areas are generally safe (houses outside town are more vulnerable). I have a friend who grew up in Granada Hills and her parents still live out there - good area Are you going to be able to visit before you move? I'm sure you realize it is very different from what you're used to.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Burbank has a good school system. Keep looking there first.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Glendale has some lovely areas. There are also some nice areas to the east in the San Gabriel Valley. Santa Clarita gets very hot in the summer - it's in the Antelope Valley and very near the Mojave Desert. Very dry heat - no humidity like in MS (I'm from TN so I know humidity). There has been wildfire activity in that area pretty regularly the past few years though the build up areas are generally safe (houses outside town are more vulnerable). I have a friend who grew up in Granada Hills and her parents still live out there - good area Are you going to be able to visit before you move? I'm sure you realize it is very different from what you're used to.
Technically, Santa Clarita is its own valley, the Santa Clarita Valley and it is separated from the Antelope Valley by the Sierra Pelona mountains...but you are correct that it shares a similar climate to the Antelope Valley although Santa Clarita is more chaparral and gets more marine influence from Ventura and Fillmore. The Antelope Valley is, in fact, part of the Mojave Desert and has a similar climate to Las Vegas, NV. You can grow Birds of Paradise flowers in Santa Clarita but they will not grow outside in the Antelope Valley.

Granada Hills is OK, but honestly, you might as well drive north another 10 minutes on I-5 and be in Santa Clarita since that's where you're drawn to. I agree with you about Santa Clarita being a nice community. It is! It's very suburban, bucolic and lots of families, nice wide streets and well-planned communities such as Valencia and Stevenson Ranch.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 PM

Yes, we are hoping to visit the area within the next couple weeks, but it will only be a few days, not long enough Im sure.... My husband was there last week and really liked it but it is all so very overwhelming. We dont know anyone there so I have to rely on CL and google maps street view, haha. I guess Im drawn to SCV because that's what we're used to.... new, suburban communities here in the South. But it would be nice for hubby to close to work.

And yes the MS humidity. is. awful. Will be glad to get away from it.

What areas east of San Gabriel valley should I search for? Im mostly looking online at communities and houses. Ive heard if you go too far east, you get ghetto and crime.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
I assume you won't miss clouds of mosquitoes in the Summer?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 PM

Lol, nope, wont miss them at all!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,319 times
It sounds to me that you really should consider Glendale itself to live, at least at first because the drive won't be an issue and you can get your bearings. There are some nice areas in Glendale. Burbank is adjacent to Glendale so the drive should be easy, even by streets avoiding the freeways. Since you are truly new to the area don't know anyone, make it easy on yourself and don't go beyond the Glendale/Burbank area. One needs to EASE into the work commute traffic around here. After living in Glendale/Burbank for a while, your husband will have a much better idea of what kind of drive he can endure if you all want to move, that is. Hey, at least Glendale has the Americana at Brand for killing boredom. Your hubby doesn't need to be a 45 minute drive from work at first getting here.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
^^^ excellent advice.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
From one fellow Southerner (I'm from Kentucky) to another:

Granada Hills, I know little about.

North Hollywood, fine, but will be quite a commute to Glendale.

Sylmar? Nah, I'll pass, yo.

Have you considered Pasadena, South Pasadena and Burbank? Nice cities, easily commutable to Glendale. Were it me, I'd live in Pasadena over any of the communities listed. Old Town is awesome and accessible directly to Metro if you want to go to Downtown L.A. and I personally liked the "feel" of Pasadena the best. Definitely visit the area first, though.

I live in the SF Bay Area now and am satisfied enough with it, but looking to move to Southern California later this year. So, I've paid a couple of visits and done some research. I'm no expert, but I'm learning, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles