U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Glendale vs South Pasadena vs Alhambra
Glendale 10 47.62%
South Pasadena 7 33.33%
Alhambra 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:32 PM

15,996 posts, read 37,281,987 times

Advertisements

Looking for a mix of factors.

Basically the two main criteria would be 'affordable' and 'density'...without compromising safety. I'm sure all three are certainly safe enough for my criteria, but just in case someone mentions other areas to look at that might meet affordable and density that compromise safety.

So that being said, which is better, Glendale or South Pasadena or Alhambra? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 09:42 AM

7,773 posts, read 3,772,337 times
Glendale is decent. Pasadena is really nice. Alhambra.. IDK..

Glendale is closer to DTLA. Only problem with Glendale is folks with german cars drive like they are the only ones on the road, and the cops are pricks.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:44 PM

1,960 posts, read 3,687,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Looking for a mix of factors.

Basically the two main criteria would be 'affordable' and 'density'...without compromising safety. I'm sure all three are certainly safe enough for my criteria, but just in case someone mentions other areas to look at that might meet affordable and density that compromise safety.

So that being said, which is better, Glendale or South Pasadena or Alhambra? Why?
I take it you mean the actual city of South Pasadena and not just the southern end of the city of Pasadena.

Glendale is by far the biggest of the three areas and gives you the most options. According to the last census, the population has even dipped a little bit.

Alhambra is next largest in size but density will be greater.

South Pasadena has the least in population but in the smallest area and is expensive.

There are areas of the city of Los Angeles next door to South Pas (Garvanza, Eagle Rock, Monterey Hills, Mt. Hermon) that might work....same density but perhaps a little more affordable.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:10 PM

15,996 posts, read 37,281,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
I take it you mean the actual city of South Pasadena and not just the southern end of the city of Pasadena.

Glendale is by far the biggest of the three areas and gives you the most options. According to the last census, the population has even dipped a little bit.

Alhambra is next largest in size but density will be greater.

South Pasadena has the least in population but in the smallest area and is expensive.

There are areas of the city of Los Angeles next door to South Pas (Garvanza, Eagle Rock, Monterey Hills, Mt. Hermon) that might work....same density but perhaps a little more affordable.
Helpful! So, I'll take South Pasadena out of the equation than. Interesting about the areas next door with LA addresses as well.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:58 PM

571 posts, read 1,752,631 times
I loved living in Glendale. Eagle Rock has some decent areas as well. I don't think you should rule out Pasadena. It has a different feel that is not tangible by looking at statistics. A feel that you may end up liking better!

Alhambra is getting a bit far out.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:59 PM

14,270 posts, read 16,107,941 times
South Pasadena is the best, but it is pricey.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:19 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,261,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
I loved living in Glendale. Eagle Rock has some decent areas as well. I don't think you should rule out Pasadena. It has a different feel that is not tangible by looking at statistics. A feel that you may end up liking better!

Alhambra is getting a bit far out.
Alhambra is a bit far out from what?

Old 06-28-2012, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Glendale is closer to DTLA. Only problem with Glendale is folks with german cars drive like they are the only ones on the road, and the cops are pricks.
This is so true!! I've lived in Glendale for the past year (work), and am glad to be moving out-- drivers are some of the rudest I've ever encountered, local or freeway. True, it is safe here, relatively cheap and close to Downtown. It may be worth trying out for you, but I personally disliked the overall environment/vibe (and downtown Glendale is pretty boring to boot).

South Pasadena is a good choice! It's one of the more "affluent" neighborhoods in Pasadena. But it may be expensive, and not very many listings available (I've been looking there too for a new place). It's very close to Old Town Pasadena which is a lively and nice area, Huntington Gardens, etc. =)

Alhambra is less "pretty" than Pasadena or even Glendale-- more gray and commercial, known for its Chinese culture (along with its neighbors along the 10: Monterey Park, San Gabriel, Temple City etc.) Rent would be pretty affordable, I think. Lots of delicious, cheap and highly-rated Chinese food to be found here! It's not extremely "far out," just a bit more east (from DTLA) than Glendale or Pasadena.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:28 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,261,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSSR View Post
Alhambra is less "pretty" than Pasadena or even Glendale-- more gray and commercial, known for its Chinese culture (along with its neighbors along the 10: Monterey Park, San Gabriel, Temple City etc.) Rent would be pretty affordable, I think. Lots of delicious, cheap and highly-rated Chinese food to be found here! It's not extremely "far out," just a bit more east (from DTLA) than Glendale or Pasadena.
Alhambra is really close to DTLA... much closer than Pasadena and comparatively as close as Glendale.

Hop on the 10fwy, drive a few miles past CSULA and the 5fwy interchange, and there's the Union Station and the DTLA courthouses right in front of you.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:26 PM

18 posts, read 32,699 times
It depends where you work and how much you can afford to buy or rent. All three cities are pretty safe with South Pasadena being the most expensive to live follow by Glendale. Alhambra is next to South Pasadena with easy access to the 10Fwy (10 miles to downtown LA), 710 fwy (20 miles to Long Beach).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or