Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 01:52 AM

8 posts, read 15,412 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I am new to LA and I ll be leaving work at 2 am to get from Hollywood boulevard to get to Westwood. I couldnt find any connection by bus to get to Westwood Village.

Could anyone tell me how I can get to Westwood from Hollywood at that late time?

I am a 23 Asian girl, is it safe walking at night from Hollywood blv. to Highland, the direction to Sunset blv. ?
and then from le Conte to Veteran avenue? (Westwood)

In the worst case, how much is it for the taxi at that distance and time?
Thanks so much for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 01:55 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
LA Metro Home

Use the Trip Planner tool.

I used it and 4 routes at that time in the morning leave Hollywood/Highland and arrive at Le Conte/Westwood(UCLA).

A one way trip costs $1.50 or you can buy a TAP card and get a discount - I believe.

So you will be able to get home after work using the bus.

Good luck.

TripMaster found 4 trip(s) leaving from HOLLYWOOD/HIGHLAND AV to LE CONTE/WESTWOOD BLVD.
You are traveling on Thursday and Leaving at 2:00AM . Fare class: Regular. Max walk: 1/3 Mile. Mode: ANY.

Metro Local Line 217 / Metro Local Line 2Metro Local Line 20

Metro Local Line 212 Metro Local Line 20

Metro Shuttle Line 656 Metro Local Line 233

Metro Shuttle Line 656 Metro Rapid Line 761

Last edited by Harrier; 06-14-2012 at 02:05 AM..

Old 06-14-2012, 04:09 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindushka View Post
Hi everyone,
I am new to LA and I ll be leaving work at 2 am to get from Hollywood boulevard to get to Westwood. I couldnt find any connection by bus to get to Westwood Village.

Could anyone tell me how I can get to Westwood from Hollywood at that late time?

I am a 23 Asian girl, is it safe walking at night from Hollywood blv. to Highland, the direction to Sunset blv. ?
and then from le Conte to Veteran avenue? (Westwood)

In the worst case, how much is it for the taxi at that distance and time?
Thanks so much for any advice.
Taxi is very expensive from Hollywood to Westwood.

If this is your everyday commute, it is not going to be pleasant (after 2AM the buses only run every hour or so, maybe even less). You are going to have to take the 2 bus on Sunset, the walk down Highland isn't awesome, not necessarily unsafe but that late at night it's not a great idea.

Honestly I would start looking for a job closer to where you live.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:22 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Yet another sad testament to the fact that you need a car to get around L.A. (or some good friends/acquaintances; I could totally see myself helping out a fellow Angeleno in a pinch since that's way before my bedtime, too bad I no longer live there) - if this is a one-time thing, I'd just cab it. The peace of mind is worth the extra twenty or so bucks if you can swing it. That said, it's not the most unsafe of neighborhoods (the second one especially), but it will be almost 100% deserted which could feel creepy.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Yet another sad testament to the fact that you need a car to get around L.A. (or some good friends/acquaintances; I could totally see myself helping out a fellow Angeleno in a pinch since that's way before my bedtime, too bad I no longer live there) - if this is a one-time thing, I'd just cab it. The peace of mind is worth the extra twenty or so bucks if you can swing it. That said, it's not the most unsafe of neighborhoods (the second one especially), but it will be almost 100% deserted which could feel creepy.
It's mostly because it is a super long distance at 10+ miles. The fact there is even a bus that late sets LA ahead of just about every city in the US.

Highland can be pretty shady as it gets later and the tourists/clubbers leave. I wouldn't want to be walking up and down that street at 2:30 AM on a regular basis, especially if I was a 23 year old girl.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:05 PM

8 posts, read 15,412 times
I feel so losing ( is this really dangerous walking from Hollywood blv. to Highland ? How about walking at that late 2 am in Westwood? Could it be better?

Thanks so much for the advice

Old 06-15-2012, 02:24 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
I feel so losing ( is this really dangerous walking from Hollywood blv. to Highland ? How about walking at that late 2 am in Westwood? Could it be better?

Westwood should be fine.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:25 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
If you're working in a bar or club you may be able to catch a ride with a co-worker. I would ask around at work, and see if anyone is going your way, and then offer them gas money if they take you too!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:

I agree that Westwood is fine.

Hollywood Blvd to Highland isn't particularly dangerous most hours of the day, but after 2 when all the tourists have left and the bars are closed, it could be pretty desolate and creepy. It's not that it is a terrible neighborhood at all, it's the lateness that would have me on edge. It's unlikely anything bad will actually happen, but I would be at my most alert.

Personally the biggest deterrent would be the fact that the Night Owl service runs once an hour, so if you miss your bus you'll be hanging out on the corner of Sunset and Highland for an hour

Old 06-19-2012, 12:04 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,119 times
Line 4 on Santa Monica Bl runs much more often than the Sunset Bus all night. If I am leaving a club on Sunset Bl it's often to easier to hoof it down to Santa Monica and catch that bus rather than wait.

The walk down Highland is nowhere near as sketchy as it was in the 1990's but also I am a guy and I would leave that to the individual to judge for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles