Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,027 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This is my first post on this site and I could really use some help. We have been looking to buy a house for quite some time with no luck and it's really disheartening.

Currently we rent a house in the northern part of Pasadena and we really want to move out, especially since the neighborhood seems to be taking a turn for the worse. It doesn't help that our price range is ~300K. We are looking for a 3 bd house (2 bd would be fine if the lot is a decent size so we can add-on).

We are not against moving out of Pasadena to a neighboring city, though we would prefer to stay at least somewhat close due to work. So the range is as far west as North Hollywood and as far east as Arcadia.

So I am asking this forum for help on any city recommendations and any areas within those cities I should look at and avoid. I'm not too familiar with areas further away from Pasadena so input from others would help. I understand that the low budget is hard to work with, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 10:12 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Not happening on that budget. Sorry.

You can confirm this by doing a search on Redfin entering your parameters. You'll find a handful of properties in rough areas where the homes need work. If you can go up to $350k, you can find a cosmetic fixer in places like El Sereno and Sun Valley.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:34 PM

448 posts, read 1,606,179 times
$300K is a tight budget. I'm already noticing housing prices starting to jump again from the recent bottom, so now is the time if you're gonna do it. Trust me, I'm obsessed with real estate and check redfin.com everyday.

If you're looking at North Hollywood, the zip codes that will accomodate your price range are 91606 (Valley Plaza area) and 91605 (closer to Sun Valley). If you can find one in the 91601 (Arts district), jump on it fast; it will not last. I highly doubt you'll find anything in the Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena areas for anything around $300K.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:16 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,458 times
Is this area not a good area? I didn't think Pasadena had any bad areas..?
1736 Mentone Avenue, Pasadena CA - Trulia

Here's a home in that 91061 zip code that the previous poster mentioned..
11462 Albers Street, North Hollywood CA - Trulia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles