U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 AM

13 posts, read 25,181 times

Advertisements

without shooting myself because of my commute?

I'm from the east coast and just got a job in West LA, couple of blocks off the 405 on Santa Monica BLVD.
I would like to keep the commute to under 30 minutes, but could do 45 if need be.

Would I be nuts to live in the Manhattan beach area?

I guess what I'm looking for is a radius of how far out I can live from a commute time perspective, and then I can figure out what suits me in terms of personal taste.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 08:22 AM

4,262 posts, read 9,017,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs130 View Post
without shooting myself because of my commute?

I'm from the east coast and just got a job in West LA, couple of blocks off the 405 on Santa Monica BLVD.
I would like to keep the commute to under 30 minutes, but could do 45 if need be.

Would I be nuts to live in the Manhattan beach area?

I guess what I'm looking for is a radius of how far out I can live from a commute time perspective, and then I can figure out what suits me in terms of personal taste.

Thanks everyone!
If you leave home at 730am.....

Under 30 minutes....live no more than 5 miles away. Farthest south would probably be Westchester.

45 minutes...MAYBE Manhattan Beach will work, though I suspect more like an hour some days. Also no farther north than Sherman Oaks/Encino(and be within 1 mile of the 405).

Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,547,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
If you leave home at 730am.....

Under 30 minutes....live no more than 5 miles away. Farthest south would probably be Westchester.

45 minutes...MAYBE Manhattan Beach will work, though I suspect more like an hour some days. Also no farther north than Sherman Oaks/Encino(and be within 1 mile of the 405).
I had a friend who worked in West LA near Bundy and Olympic. She lived in Hermosa Beach for a little while and then moved even further to Redondo Beach. I think her commute was around 45 minutes, though she arranged to come into work as early as possible to miss the heaviest traffic.

The biggest issue with commuting to and from the beach cities is their lack of convenient freeway access.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:37 AM

7,141 posts, read 19,540,523 times
during normal commuting hours, MB to WLA would be a tough commute. even without traffic (ie 4am) you're probably looking at over a 30 minute commute as MB does not have easy freeway access. even westchester would be in excess of a 30 minute commute in normal work day traffic. i'd say the 5 mile radius is probably accurate, as long as you don't live to the north. if you want the shortest commute, you'll want to head to the office from the west, which pretty much just leaves you with santa monica if you don't want to worry about traffic.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:54 PM

31,500 posts, read 34,774,351 times
Why not just live in West LA? It's nice around the area called Sawtelle and convenient to all things Westside. Then you can explore the area at your leasure and move somewhere else if you want once your lease is up. But at least you won't kill yourself from the get go

My daughter works near Olympic and Bundy but lives in Silverlake. The commute is ok to bad, depending on the situation and timing. She takes the 10 freeway almost exclusively since surface streets are the pits and once you get stuck on one there is no way to get unstuck. She lived in Weho for awhile and the surface street commute took just as long if not longer.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:05 PM

Thanks for all the responses.

I guess I really want to live in a beach town/ as close to the beach as possible, without all the tourists so to speak. I've stayed in SM quite a few times and just didn't really like it, although I was pretty close to the pier so maybe that's why I think there are too many tourists/didn't like it.

I would need to be at work between 7 and 8 so maybe the 7am shift would help the commute from MB.

I suppose Marina Del Ray could be an option too, haven't really looked there though.

If I did MB, I would try to stay as north as possible, the closer to rosecrans, the better I suppose?

Also, where are some good places to look at possible places to rent via the web? everytime I search rents in xzy, it's a pay site...any free ones out there, or do I basically need to find a realtor/pay those web fees?

Old 06-27-2012, 01:07 PM

31,500 posts, read 34,774,351 times
Padmapper is/was awsome until Craigslist pulled their stuff so now you have to use both and wade through the CL junk. Westside Rentals is one you have to pay for but everyone I know who's used it said it was worth the money. West LA isn't that far from the beach if you want to hit it up after work or on the weekends. Santa Monica south of the 10 is less touristy IMO and obviously the farther from the beach you get the less touristy things are too. Go inland far enough in Santa Monica, which IS a beach town, and it turns into West LA. Haha. With so much to do in LA don't over estimate the time you will be at the beach, unless you have a specific thing you already do there all the time. If you can't see it from your apt window (and there are very few places you can) it's like it's not there unless you make the effort to go.

Last edited by Ceece; 06-27-2012 at 01:18 PM..

Old 06-27-2012, 03:15 PM

2,624 posts, read 6,398,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs130 View Post
Thanks for all the responses.

I guess I really want to live in a beach town/ as close to the beach as possible, without all the tourists so to speak. I've stayed in SM quite a few times and just didn't really like it, although I was pretty close to the pier so maybe that's why I think there are too many tourists/didn't like it.

I would need to be at work between 7 and 8 so maybe the 7am shift would help the commute from MB.

I suppose Marina Del Ray could be an option too, haven't really looked there though.

If I did MB, I would try to stay as north as possible, the closer to rosecrans, the better I suppose?
There's not much of a beach in Marina del Rey, so Venice might be a better option.

Years ago, I used to commute to UCLA from Manhattan Beach and the only way I could get there in under 45 minutes was if I left the house around 5AM or rode my motorcycle. Other than knocking a minute or two off of the commute time, staying as north as possible in Manhattan Beach probably won't help as much. Instead of trying to take the 405, I found that it was often quicker to simply take Sepulveda most of the way.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 PM

930 posts, read 853,138 times
If you still plan on commuting from the South Bay, keep in mind that there's work being done on the 405 in and near Westwood and the Sepulveda Pass. This is expected to take some months to complete, and it's also expected to blast normal travel times to and through the area out of the water.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:27 AM

Thanks everyone.

I've spoken to a few co-workers who live in HB/MB and they say on average in the mornings it's about 30 minutes and on the way home it's about 45 to an hour on a bad day. They said sometimes surface roads are faster, sometimes the 405 is faster, so you just really have to pay attention to the traffic reports. Also, they do get to work no later then 7 so I'm sure that helps

Thankfully for me I'm going to stay with a friend of mine in Hollywood for a few weeks until I find a place, this way I can sort of try the commute after work to MB/HM area and see what's like for the hours I'll be working.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles