U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 4,046 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I know, this question must be asked a lot (can't imagine how many to be exact!), but I am planning on moving to Los Angeles. However, I will not be doing so until Fall of 2014, Spring 2015 at the latest. What you will read is A LOT, so in advance I am sorry!

I am a planner. And I unfortunately am an actress. I do love it, can't imagine doing anything else, and I just can imagine what you all will say...not another one! I am in the process of earning my degree in theatre and business. I have years of experience and short films and an indie. So I do hope that in two years I will have even more under my belt, and that will hopefully let me pass quite a few people coming with no experience.

As for moving to Los Angeles, I have "lived" there for a month before, and I have fallen in love with the city, more specifically North Hollywood. I am not moving there because I am an actress, but because I can't imagine myself settling down anywhere else. If I wanted to live anywhere else, I wouldn't be asking this question.

I am in the process of saving up money (and have been for a while), so realistically how much would I have to save up to live with possibly 1-2 other roommates? From experience, I have heard anywhere between $10,000 and then $20,000.

Also, I am earning a degree in business, so would that definitely help me with a part time job at least? I have heard that the amount of people being hired in LA is minimal, so I hope this could help, by just a little!

I would like to move to the San Fernando Valley, more specifically North Hollywood. I lived in an apartment there for a month, but I guess I never really got the absolute feel for it because I was at a "camp". Can anyone tell my any pros/cons about North Hollywood?

Now that I have asked of quite a lot of things, I would also like to know if anyone could give me any advice? Any at all? I know, it's a good ways away before I actually move to LA, but I don't want to run around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Any advice would be amazing!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 11:35 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,563,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGirl250 View Post
Hi all,

I know, this question must be asked a lot (can't imagine how many to be exact!), but I am planning on moving to Los Angeles. However, I will not be doing so until Fall of 2014, Spring 2015 at the latest. What you will read is A LOT, so in advance I am sorry!

I am a planner. And I unfortunately am an actress. I do love it, can't imagine doing anything else, and I just can imagine what you all will say...not another one! I am in the process of earning my degree in theatre and business. I have years of experience and short films and an indie. So I do hope that in two years I will have even more under my belt, and that will hopefully let me pass quite a few people coming with no experience.

As for moving to Los Angeles, I have "lived" there for a month before, and I have fallen in love with the city, more specifically North Hollywood. I am not moving there because I am an actress, but because I can't imagine myself settling down anywhere else. If I wanted to live anywhere else, I wouldn't be asking this question.

I am in the process of saving up money (and have been for a while), so realistically how much would I have to save up to live with possibly 1-2 other roommates? From experience, I have heard anywhere between $10,000 and then $20,000.

Also, I am earning a degree in business, so would that definitely help me with a part time job at least? I have heard that the amount of people being hired in LA is minimal, so I hope this could help, by just a little!

I would like to move to the San Fernando Valley, more specifically North Hollywood. I lived in an apartment there for a month, but I guess I never really got the absolute feel for it because I was at a "camp". Can anyone tell my any pros/cons about North Hollywood?

Now that I have asked of quite a lot of things, I would also like to know if anyone could give me any advice? Any at all? I know, it's a good ways away before I actually move to LA, but I don't want to run around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Any advice would be amazing!

Thank you.
Biggest con is that it is hard to get a job in LA. But, it is hard to get a job just about anywhere.

North Hollywood is nice, almost moved there but opted for the better side of the hill

Old 06-28-2012, 05:33 PM

14 posts, read 37,958 times
Choose your roommates wisely, but your estimate of 10-20k is pretty good. Should tide you over for rough first 6-9 months if you spend judiciously. I'd also make sure your credit is in good shape before the move.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:58 PM

164 posts, read 551,101 times
Based on your username, I am guessing you're at Emerson? The Emerson Mafia is big here in LA.

Sounds like you have given it a lot of thought, and planned accordingly as well. Money is always an issue for anyone but looks like you have a good head on your shoulders and the amount you're starting with should be fine as long as you're smart with your money. A lot of people say LA is expensive but it is all relative and if you are from Boston or already live in Boston you will find that LA to be pretty reasonable and maybe cheaper than Boston.

Come out here, and be patient. As an actor you will not have trouble meeting people through acting classes, projects, day jobs and so forth, but it does take a bit more time to make friends (real friends). That isn't just because it's LA, but I think most people will find that adjustment coming out of college. In college, making friends is much easier and as one gets older it becomes harder. If you come to LA with that in mind, you won't feel so bad about yourself if at times you feel you're not making good friends right away.

Get into acting classes sooner than later (google for the discussion forums for Backstage and Actors Access which has a ton of info on classes).

Also, I found TAN (The Actors Network - google it, the founder is Kevin West) to be invaluable. I have no affiliation with them nor am I a member anymore. But I found the membership fee to be worth every penny. They offer a lot of discussion panels with agents, casting directors, seasoned actors, and other industry folk there to provide their advice and knowledge, and the members themselves for the most part are pretty level headed and serious about their careers. I found them valuable because you get firsthand on the ground info about how the whole industry in LA really works from an actors standpoint, so you waste less time chasing dead ends and knowing what it really takes to get your career off the ground. If anything, all this advice and knowledge helps you have a more realistic and do-able plan for your career and life in LA, as opposed to just toiling about aimlessly.

As for North Hollywood, biggest pro is that it's relatively convenient for the most part to get to many parts of LA for industry stuff (auditions, classes, etc), and that it's cheaper than neighboring Studio City. Biggest con is that it's hit-and-miss. Some parts are fine, others are a bit sketchy. The further north you go, the sketchier it is (but the cheaper it is as well).

I would second the other poster re: roommates. Whether you and your roommates match in terms of lifestyle and habits can have a huge effect on your quality of life. I would not limit yourself to just North Hollywood, but to focus on the best roommate situations you can. Putting out a status update blast on Facebook to the Emerson Mafia can help.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:46 PM

38 posts, read 86,119 times
You're on the right track w/ your savings and planning.

As for NOHO, pros: location is relatively convenient for auditions. AFI (American Film Institute) is located there and you may be able to meet some of these students and hook yourself up w/ a project or two. Also, UCB (United Citizens Brigade), one of the best and well-known improv schools is there, too. Having them on your resume is like having a little gold star on it as far as casting directors are concerned.

Cons: Parking. Also, parking. Did I mention parking? It sucks there. If you're going to find a place in NOHO, be very diligent about how you're going to park and the BIGGEST piece of advice I can give is ALWAYS read the street signs when you do. Street cleaning is always going on in some part of the neighborhood it seems and a parking ticket will run somewhere between $60 - $70. Traffic is another con. Get acclimated to busy travel times during the day and try always to go north on the 101 or use side streets for your auditions. Going south takes you into downtown and it seems there's always a wait going that direction on the freeway.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:21 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,563,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActorTomG View Post
You're on the right track w/ your savings and planning.

As for NOHO, pros: location is relatively convenient for auditions. AFI (American Film Institute) is located there and you may be able to meet some of these students and hook yourself up w/ a project or two. Also, UCB (United Citizens Brigade), one of the best and well-known improv schools is there, too. Having them on your resume is like having a little gold star on it as far as casting directors are concerned.

Cons: Parking. Also, parking. Did I mention parking? It sucks there. If you're going to find a place in NOHO, be very diligent about how you're going to park and the BIGGEST piece of advice I can give is ALWAYS read the street signs when you do. Street cleaning is always going on in some part of the neighborhood it seems and a parking ticket will run somewhere between $60 - $70. Traffic is another con. Get acclimated to busy travel times during the day and try always to go north on the 101 or use side streets for your auditions. Going south takes you into downtown and it seems there's always a wait going that direction on the freeway.
Good advice, but it sounds like you are mixing up North Hollywood and regular old Hollywood. I don't think parking is an issue in North Hollywood (NoHo), and the UCB is in Hollywood (unless they have a school I don't know about).

Old 08-09-2012, 12:41 AM

378 posts, read 661,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGirl250 View Post
I am a planner. And I unfortunately am an actress.
Hey now...there's nothing unfortunate about being an actress. Well, some of the time anyway.

You sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders--and you're smart to take care of the education first. Plus you recognize that having a second job option while you break into the industry does not equal "not being serious" or "abandoning your dream." Nearly everyone has to do something on the side until they get established, and sometimes actors occasionally have to fall back on it later when they hit a dry spell (or find themselves sitting around during an extended strike!).

North Hollywood is a great place for you to settle. Best of luck!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 2,674 times
Do your research. I'm thinking of moving to LA this up coming summer. I've been on craigslist and rent.com looking for apartments and I've learned not everything is what it seems. One place said the pic's are of the upgraded apartments but the classic apartments are the prices they show online. Some building sell their parking to the public. You have to be careful when moving to Hollywood. I'm a New Yorker and calling this the wild west. Almost anything goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles