Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 04:42 PM

29 posts, read 134,861 times

Advertisements

P.S. If I see another ad seeking a "Rock Star whatever" I'm going to stab somebody in the face. "Rock Star dishwasher wanted to rock out the dish washing at busy, fast-paced restaurant." Really? Go **** yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 06:58 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times
Quote:
"Seeking sandwich ARTIST. Six months to one year assembling sandwiches required."
That's messed up! I hate this economy and what it's doing to people. This is the one instance in which all should agree that's its not a matter of "gumption" or "personal responsibility" like what the right wingers claim. It's the fault of business wanting to discilpline labor. Their rigid hiring standards are beyond ridiculous.

I used staffing companies back home in TX and my career services alumni group to get my jobs. I have six years relevant office experience with no gaps longer than two months. Two internships. A degree from a top ten school and fully proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.

I did everything to keep my resume perfect, and I still am only getting jobs that pay me at best 15 bucks an hour. This is what I get for majoring in liberal arts.

Welcome to the New Economy. A dystopian future for most major cities.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
OMG, people are so SO much friendlier here than Boston. I can't get over it! And, my relatives don't understand this at all! They're all "We're PERFECTLY friendly here. I don't know what you're talking about!" When I try to explain, they get kind of insulted. People, in general, are so much happier out here. There are also weird things... like, I would see an ambulance pretty much every day in Boston. Sometimes more than one. Lots and lots of ambulances. Why? I rarely see them here. People are healthier out here. Everyone I know, in Boston, complains about their weight. Is basically obsessed with it. Even my really thin friends! My friends, in LA... both thin and not... are so much more into getting out and being fit and enjoying life. I have fat friends, here, who have never mentioned their fat to me, and seem pretty happy. All of my thin friends in Boston go on and on about how fat they are. It's kind of maddening (and sad).
Yes. Everyone I've met in LA is unbelievably and genuinely friendly. By far the friendliest major city I've ever been to.

It's strange that I'm actually the "mean" one in a group. I'm just not naturally that friendly but I'm not an a$$ about it.

My family back home thinks Houston is friendly but I cannot even try to explain to them how LA has them beat by a mile. No contest.

Boston was harsh. Imagine a town full of the cockiest jocks ever, the preppiest preps, and the biggest meat heads and you have the people of Boston. Not to mention the insufferable yuppie vibe that dominates the town. Theyre so cliquish and competitive. So couple the icy weather with icy people and you have Boston.

LA is just a city that inspires. It's dynamic, gritty, beautiful, diverse, laid back, huge and seeped in talent.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:14 AM

9 posts, read 16,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_k View Post
P.S. If I see another ad seeking a "Rock Star whatever" I'm going to stab somebody in the face. "Rock Star dishwasher wanted to rock out the dish washing at busy, fast-paced restaurant." Really? Go **** yourself.
Spot on, spot on. Hate those ads

Old 07-05-2012, 01:33 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Here are a few realistic suggestions on how to make some cash, (to at least stretch your savings, I don't know if you will will earn a living).

relayrides.com

You can rent your car out when you are not using it. (if you have a car).

I know it sounds cliche, but if you were an excellent student, you really can make some money tutoring.

check out websites that allow tutor and student to meet each other. Here is a great website that I do a tiny bit of tutoring on the side through. wyzant.com

Another thing that might be cliche is, if you do have a little acting experience or none at all, even if you are not here to become a star, there are opportunities to be an extra.

Do you have website design experience?

I do agree that, a lot of the rhetoric from right wingers about pulling oneselves up by the boot straps is oblivious to reality, but on the other hand, it is true that the internet has made it possible for regular people to do a little micro-entrepreneuring on the side.

Moderator cut: see note

Last edited by Count David; 07-05-2012 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: got it

Old 07-05-2012, 06:07 PM

9 posts, read 16,686 times
Another question for you guys...I plan on putting my brother's address on my resume but, when it comes to the cover letter, do I explain that I plan on moving there soon? Or bend the truth a bit and state that I've just recently moved? Obviously the latter runs the risk of a company calling my bluff and scheduling me in for an interview right away but I'll cross that bridge if/when it comes.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I do agree that, a lot of the rhetoric from right wingers about pulling oneselves up by the boot straps is oblivious to reality, but on the other hand, it is true that the internet has made it possible for regular people to do a little micro-entrepreneuring on the side.
I think the point is that Americans do not want to peruse the Internet for odd jobs with little to no real security. And they have that right to complain. A generation ago people pretty much had a right to work and that job provided security.

The major companies always say they're following the dictates of the "market" but they act like the market is this abstract entity that moves society, when in fact it's socially constructed. It's different decisions by various owners of industries creating a standard with which everyone follows suit or fails on pain of extinction. Basically they're trends but an insufferable right winger will just quip at you saying "it's Econ 101", "its the market".

Sorry for the rant. I was a poli sci major/ Econ minor in college and it was mind numbing at how the Econ professors literally spoke about the business decisions and trends of the Fortune 500 or Wall St. as this abstract entity called "market".

I didn't mean to snap at you it's just your optimism reminds of the new positive outlook to the Great Recession. I remember watching a news story about a "genius" who created a new "innovative" way to save money on rent. Basically he created a website to link people who couldn't afford to live on their own to find other people who couldn't afford to keep their house. So the latter would rent a room to the former.

The media tried to spin it as a creative way in which people are dealing with the new economy.

Good god! What happened to all the real left wing activists who wouldve questioned why Americans have to resort to this in the first place? Instead the younger generation of progressive liberals are too busy trying to be the Mark Zuckerbergs of the non-profit world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles