U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:03 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,956,228 times

Advertisements

Thanks, this is helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 02:16 PM

583 posts, read 778,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
In the case of Chicago, railroads became more important than water shipping, even though Chicago was at a strategic point for water transport too, but all its industry took place on the rivers, leaving the lakefront for non-industrial uses. Chicagos lakefront was too shallow for effective shipping, but it made it possible to fill in and create artificial shoreline for the parks.

Hope this helps.
Overall, an excellent post, but this bit requires some clarification.

The artificial shoreline, i.e., Grant Park, was created when the city needed a place to dump the debris from the Chicago Fire. To this day, under Grant Park, you'll find bits from the 1870's. The Lakefront was a thriving port for intra-Great Lakes ship traffic for years, until the St. Lawrence seaway opened Chicago to ocean-going ships in 1959. By then, the docks were on the South Side, with easy access to the Ship Canal, connecting Chicago via water to the Mississippi and New Orleans.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:34 PM

2,431 posts, read 2,944,847 times
I would guess that those founding and planning Los Angeles might not have been interested in creating another Chicago or San Francisco, pretty much along the same logic that might discourage you from wanting to be compared to say, Justin Beiber?

Old 07-02-2012, 04:10 PM

7,775 posts, read 3,779,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I would guess that those founding and planning Los Angeles might not have been interested in creating another Chicago or San Francisco, pretty much along the same logic that might discourage you from wanting to be compared to say, Justin Beiber?
Justin Beiber is more like a wal mart.

I would not compare NYC and Chicago to beiber.

Those cities are majestic and towering.

LA, not so much. I love LA but hope DT expands more. No it wont block the sunshine.
Afterall LA has something for everyone? So if it is "manhattenized" then we can have that NYC feel in LA, have the beach feel in LA, have that rich feel in LA that Mexican Feel, that wilderness feel etc.

LA is a city of different cities.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:55 PM

2,431 posts, read 2,944,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Justin Beiber is more like a wal mart.

I would not compare NYC and Chicago to beiber.

Those cities are majestic and towering.

LA, not so much. I love LA but hope DT expands more. No it wont block the sunshine.
Afterall LA has something for everyone? So if it is "manhattenized" then we can have that NYC feel in LA, have the beach feel in LA, have that rich feel in LA that Mexican Feel, that wilderness feel etc.

LA is a city of different cities.
Lol. Well if you must nitpick, maybe I should add that a comparison is irrelevant regarding my point that Los Angeles might have been conceived as a place meant to progress beyond comparison.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:18 PM

203 posts, read 491,660 times
Question...so is it true that beach front property wasn't desired back in say, the 20's and 30's, and maybe even more recent than that?

I've heard folks from El Segundo and Redondo Beach talk about this before.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:27 PM

139 posts, read 181,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Downtown LA developed where the spanish pueblo, Los Angeles developed. El Pueblo/Olvera street is of course a glimpse into the original village. As part of the El Camino Real transportation route that connected the old missions. Los Angeles was by the river where the early settlers could get fresh water.

San Francisco became the big city first, partly because of the Gold Rush (an era well before cars), and the Bay is an enclosed harbored area where a port could develop, but San Franciscos flat land available for shipping and industry was limited compared the growing LA basin. But the mudflats that became the port required a lot more earth moving, but thats basically where Long Beach developed.

Cities become what they are because of the local regional, and national geography that sets on a specific trajectory.

LA grew up to multi-centered from the very beginning. The geographic variety that where movies could be set anywhere in the world, with the natural sunshine made it the logical spot for the movie industry to relocate to from New York. Even when LA had the most extensive public transit system, the Pacific Electric line it was spread out.

In fact here is a kicker! About the most counter-intuitive idea ever. Public transit in the case of LA, actually made it MORE spread out and decentralized. Think about it. Before cars, how could people live farther from where they worked? streetcars. So, LA became mulicentered and spread out because of its specific industries and because of a highly extensive streetcar system.

Also, keep in mind that many world class cities develop away from a coast.

If you are interested in learning more, the natural history museum in LA will be having a major exhibit on the natural and cultural history of the LA region this coming December.

In the case of Chicago, railroads became more important than water shipping, even though Chicago was at a strategic point for water transport too, but all its industry took place on the rivers, leaving the lakefront for non-industrial uses. Chicagos lakefront was too shallow for effective shipping, but it made it possible to fill in and create artificial shoreline for the parks.

Hope this helps.
Brilliant and 100% in agreement.

Here's the wikipedia entry on the history of Los Angeles that is quite comprehensive.

History of Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-03-2012, 08:05 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,681,411 times
I agree Tex?Il nailed the historical development of LA right on, esp. the part about the decentralizing effect of the streetcars.

I'd only add that the linking of LA to the national railroad in 1876 was a HUGE spur in the growth of the region and downtown in particular. Also, LA got the railroad before San Diego (California's oldest city). San Diego also has/had a great natural harbor. The railroad going to LA first was a major blow to San Diego which could have been top dog if things had played out differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or