U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 12:32 PM

574 posts, read 1,208,252 times

Advertisements

LA is definetly a world class city, LA is on top with Tokyo, London, NYC, and Paris.

although LA is not a financial capital like london or tokyo, it has the entertainment industry which is as powerful for LA as finance is powerful for NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:47 PM

574 posts, read 1,208,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
L.A. is definitely a world class city, but I think it is a notch or 2 below below those cities named. LA is probably 3rd or 4th most important in America after NYC, DC and maybe Chicago or SF. LA is not a world financial center like Tokyo, Shanghai, Singapore, NYC or London. LA is not home to the most important art collections like Paris, London, NYC or DC. LA is not a major place for global affairs like NYC or DC or other world capitals. LA is capital of worldwide entertainment: HOLLYWOOD.
LA is growing to becoming a strong financial center, LA continously adds many museums a year and has hundreds of great museums of art, space, air, etc., LA also is a strong technology center that ranks it up in the top cities of the world, LA's global status is where it is now because of its many strong industries, not only entertainment, but technology, culture, fashion (5th largest fashion capital of the world), science, international trade, business, and LA is also the third richest city (by GDP), and fifth most powerful and influential, my guess is that its behind Tokyo, Paris, London, and NYC.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:55 PM

2,700 posts, read 5,018,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Simple question. Would you guys consider LA to be a world class city on par with NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo? I would consider it so. If not, what's it lacking?
London,Paris & Tokyo are all lacking the perfect weather,houses with decent yards,easy parking and of course the magnificent beaches that Los Angeles has. Los Angeles is a much better city to live in than any of those towns.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:57 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,025,635 times
Coming from a New Yorker who's been to your city 3 times: YES.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:18 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,100,115 times
If there's any city other than NYC that could earn this title, it would be LA.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:44 PM

464 posts, read 741,803 times
Simple answer:

Of course.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:19 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,037,570 times
Yes of course! Every disaster movie, the top two cities to be destroyed are NYC and LA. You know why? because they are recognized globally and people know of them all over the World! LA is most known for being the film and perhaps music capital of the World. It is also known for beautiful sandy beaches and amazing weather.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:31 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,461,079 times
Not sure what's "world" class, given most of world, incl NYC/Lond/Paris, let alone Asia, is ThirdWorld in terms of basic std of living, even for the very "rich", vs elite suburbs of either SiliconValley or LA's Westside

CentCity/SM/BH has fair no. of major hedge funds (more than Chic, less than SF/SV) but Milken's '80s Drexel (then based in BH) revolutionized modern leveraged finance

SiliconValley, not SF, is a suburban region with HQs of most of world's most innovative cos. and perhaps 95+% of world's wealthiest engineers (rest largely in Redmond or DFW/Hou regions)

Dallas and Houston have most of world's wealthiest and most innovative o&g entrepreneurs/engineers

Not really sure in what industry NYC or Chic or Lond, etc have led world in terms of innovation or new wealth creation over past 25+yrs (hell, modest Redmond/Seattle region arguably trounces either NYC or Lond or Stuttgart or Tok or Chindia in terms of real innovation and wealth creation)

Suspect many favored tourist destinations like NYC or Lond/Paris live off some archaic imagery of relevance which gullible/bored/rich tourists may believe, much like dumb rugrats may revere Disneyworld or movies/sports or the toothfairy/Santa....or Facebook/Myspace...same game

Old 07-02-2012, 10:41 PM

93 posts, read 139,562 times
No doubt obout it, yes

Old 07-02-2012, 11:50 PM

Location: Orange County>Inland Empire>Phoenix>Flagstaff>Chicagoland
51 posts, read 125,159 times
I would say so! According to ATKearney who handles global city indexes, it just passed my hometown of Chicago. I know in last years rankings, Chicago was an "Alpha +", and LA was not too far behind as an "Alpha." To me though coming from Chicago, I would think LA has much more of a global presence and influence than Chicago. Although, it is where I grew up, I don't hear about many outsiders or foreigners knowing of Chicago in that sense.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or