U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 PM

29,100 posts, read 22,799,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
What would more of a "damper" on your experience a smelly vagrant flashing you or a police officer ensuring that you aren't being flashed, robbed or assaulted?
I can prevent myself from being flashed, robbed, or assaulted just fine.

Seriously - why are so many people afraid of homeless people? Have you ever met homeless people? Have you ever worked in the soup kitchens and shelters? I have. These people are not sub human creatures who need to be "controlled" by sentries carrying badges and weapons - they are people who have run into hard times, many with addictions and mental issues - who require compassion and help.

No - I have never had a negative experience with a homeless person in the library - and that is because I don't immediately freak out when I see one. It is all about attitude - if you approach someone with respect - they will likely return it.

As for thefts - you don't need the cops to prevent that. C'mon people - you are in a public building with vast spaces between a desk and the restrooms. If you have to take care of business - then pack up your laptop and take it with you. All the cops are doing is setting up fake circumstances and bagging people who fall for their trick. It is borderline entrapment - and it enables people to depend on the cops for security instead of providing it themselves - watch us descend into a police state.

Anyways - thanks for the answers.

Last edited by Harrier; 07-03-2012 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 05:33 PM

10,958 posts, read 10,646,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Seriously - why are so many people afraid of homeless people?
When I was 15 and walking home from school one day, a crazy shopping cart pushing woman whom I had never seen before began yelling at me, calling me a ****ing male chauvinist pig and such.

At the age of 22, and at the time being a skinny rocker type, a somewhat large homeless man asked me for a cigarette. I refused, on account of having only one left in reserve. He then began swearing at me, referring to me as a rich White ****.

Just a few years ago, while walking along Wilshire Blvd. on my way to Westwood Village, a homeless guy simply jumped in front of my path and began swearing at me as loud as humanly possible.

Are those enough reasons for you, or shall I go on?

Old 07-03-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
When I was 15 and walking home from school one day, a crazy shopping cart pushing woman whom I had never seen before began yelling at me, calling me a ****ing male chauvinist pig and such.

At the age of 22, and at the time being a skinny rocker type, a somewhat large homeless man asked me for a cigarette. I refused, on account of having only one left in reserve. He then began swearing at me, referring to me as a rich White ****.

Just a few years ago, while walking along Wilshire Blvd. on my way to Westwood Village, a homeless guy simply jumped in front of my path and began swearing at me as loud as humanly possible.

Are those enough reasons for you, or shall I go on?
I notice that in none of these instances were you assaulted - also you are reasoning from a few isolated incidents and drawing blanket conclusions about all homeless people.

I could cite examples of homeless people who pleasantly greet all they see, who donate their time helping others, and are genuinely trying to get themselves back in the mainstream. Do those examples make a good generalization of all homeless people? No - and neither do yours.

Get over your irrational fears - realize that you encountered a couple of crazies - and don't be stereotyping an entire segment of the population based on those experiences.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:51 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,794,798 times
Quote:
I notice that in none of these instances were you assaulted - also you are reasoning from a few isolated incidents and drawing blanket conclusions about all homeless people.

I could cite examples of homeless people who pleasantly greet all they see, who donate their time helping others, and are genuinely trying to get themselves back in the mainstream. Do those examples make a good generalization of all homeless people? No - and neither do yours.

Get over your irrational fears - realize that you encountered a couple of crazies - and don't be stereotyping an entire segment of the population based on those experiences.
The problem is that those homeless people the other poster mentioned probably have some sort of mental problem. If you ride the buses and trains in LA, there tend to be a lot of those same types swarming around begging for money or babbling to themselves. I've encountered similar issues myself, a lot of cussing and accusing, even threatening, but stayed alive. Indeed, I have met people who are sane, former homeless and thriving.

I have to say I was also surprised to see so many police guarding the Central Library. I always thought that was because the CL is located in DTLA, which is huge with LAPD. (They monitor public transit and schools as well.) They seem stricter than the smaller cities/areas in LAC.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:51 PM

418 posts, read 1,585,095 times
Quote:

Seriously - why are so many people afraid of homeless people? Have you ever met homeless people? Have you ever worked in the soup kitchens and shelters? I have. These people are not sub human creatures who need to be "controlled" by sentries carrying badges and weapons - they are people who have run into hard times, many with addictions and mental issues - who require compassion and help.
Not afraid; just being realistic. No, they are not subhuman. However, like you say, mental illness and addiction are rampant among the homeless community, and it's just a fact that people with those issues can act in erratic, offensive, and sometimes criminal behavior. It's naive to think that having large numbers of homeless in a library that's a few blocks from Skid Row without some sort of oversight won't lead to problems.

I'm all for compassion and help. But I'm also in favor of realistic views of potential dangers.

Quote:
No - I have never had a negative experience with a homeless person in the library - and that is because I don't immediately freak out when I see one. It is all about attitude - if you approach someone with respect - they will likely return it.
Yes, they will likely return respect. And most of the time they just want to be left alone. But then sometimes one homeless person will start berating people for no apparent reason. Or engage in disturbing behavior. If you haven't witnessed that, than you simply haven't been exposed to the homeless as much as you say.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumerian Feast View Post
Yes, they will likely return respect. And most of the time they just want to be left alone. But then sometimes one homeless person will start berating people for no apparent reason. Or engage in disturbing behavior. If you haven't witnessed that, than you simply haven't been exposed to the homeless as much as you say.
I have been exposed to such behavior - and I still say that it is not a good excuse for a large contingent of police at the Central Library.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:29 AM

10,958 posts, read 10,646,009 times
Quote:
I notice that in none of these instances were you assaulted
That's a matter of opinion. In my opinion I was assaulted verbally.

Quote:
- also you are reasoning from a few isolated incidents and drawing blanket conclusions about all homeless people.
Do you know how many non-homeless people have behaved in a similar manner towards me? Zero.

Furthermore, not all sharks attack people, so I suppose then I ought to go swimming with sharks, particularly so I can demonstrate I'm not a sharkophobe?

Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,834,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siphon880cd View Post
There ought to be cops. Last time I went to the Central Library, I was traumatized in the restroom. A homeless man in nude with his private part hanging out started lecturing to me about true history and the Illuminati, etc. I've got out of there but no one was on that floor for me to report him!
I hope you told Mel Gibson to get the heck out of the library.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:00 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,834,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Probably not in our lifetime since the City of LA seems to be really proud of Skid Row as some kind of cultural symbol.

I am sure there are plenty of poverty pimp and human rights organizations out there that would fight to make sure that homelessness isn't eliminated from DTLA.
Wow, just a little bitter? You really think the city is glad there's poverty? What is your solution to the problem of the homeless, including those who are mentally ill? I'm just guessing it's more along the lines of rounding them all up and kicking them out (making them someone else's problem) vs. providing food, clothing, education. You want homelessness "eliminated' from DTLA. Moved to the suburbs?

Old 07-04-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
Wow, just a little bitter? You really think the city is glad there's poverty? What is your solution to the problem of the homeless, including those who are mentally ill? I'm just guessing it's more along the lines of rounding them all up and kicking them out (making them someone else's problem) vs. providing food, clothing, education. You want homelessness "eliminated' from DTLA. Moved to the suburbs?
Yeah - dump them all in Hawaiian Gardens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles