U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,427,303 times

Advertisements

Just to clarify matters, those are not police officers at the Central Library. They are security officers assigned to the L.A. City Department of General Services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 07:10 AM

5,497 posts, read 13,331,602 times
Dt libraries are a haven for homeless across the country, not just LA. Come to think of it the library on SM Blvd just west of Sawtelle Blvd is another one. So is the big one in dt Santa Monica.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,007,674 times
I saw this comment awhile ago on an LA Times story about homelessness and found it interesting.

"There are really only two options: 1) forced incarceration into mental health facilities or 2) let them rot on the streets and live and do whatever they want.
This middle road approach of treatment, government handouts, etc., AND freedom to do whatever they want on the streets has failed. This is one of those "no easy answer" issues and one that jumbles up the usual left/right-Democrat/Republican battles. This one make hypocrites out of all of us.
The left typically wants never ending benefits and such for these people but to allow them the freedom to continue wasting all of that taxpayer money on drugs and alcohol and living free on the streets. The right wants them off the streets but doesn't want to pay what it costs to keep them that way.
I am not usually one who says "well, since we spend all of this money in foreign wars, etc. why not spend that here." I despise that specious argument in most cases as it assumes that the money must be spent at all. However, in this case it must be.
Two choices folks: 1) Pay to get them off the streets and out of sight or 2) Let them rot.
Paying them to rot is no longer a wise choice."

Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,007,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Just to clarify matters, those are not police officers at the Central Library. They are security officers assigned to the L.A. City Department of General Services.
Aren't there sworn officers that are part of the L.A. City Department of General Services? Not to say that aren't any security guards in the library.

I only say this because I have seen a Department of General Service squad car parked outside of the library.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:23 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,427,303 times
Only about one-quarter of the Dept. of General Services security force are sworn peace officers. The rest, numbering approximately 300, are unarmed civilian security officers. In general, the facilities protected by the DGS try to have at least one armed officer at each location at all times.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:26 AM

1 posts, read 343 times
I've been working at central library for years, in the public area, the homeless seem harmless, but they urinate and defecate all around the outside of the building and inside as well. As far as the heavy presence of police and security guards inside the building that's due to the fact that there have been numerous incidents that have occurred during business hours that if publicized would be bad public relations for the library.

My main concern is the leniency displayed by the officers towards suspicious visitors toting huge packages that appear to be weapons of some sort, these same patrons are allowed to loiter the bldg. and sometimes they display barbaric behavior towards staff and customers. The officers that are African American are very lenient towards their own race. Just recently the city hired security guards that sit at the entrances about once every month, it could be that a celebrity or some politician is visiting that day, but these guards give me the creeps! More so the ones that are outside daily in their blue suits just eyeballing everyone but the troublemakers! With the threat of terrorism rising all around us I wouldn't be surprised if some of these men in uniform are muslims ready to do jihad!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:19 AM

25,306 posts, read 16,517,408 times
That's some scary stuff . I feel that the homeless do " get away " with quite a lot in LA and are able to display behavior that shouldn't be acceptable but is tolerated because , " what can we do they are homeless" . That is gross about the urination etc.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:31 AM

86 posts, read 68,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awareof View Post
I've been working at central library for years, in the public area, the homeless seem harmless, but they urinate and defecate all around the outside of the building and inside as well. As far as the heavy presence of police and security guards inside the building that's due to the fact that there have been numerous incidents that have occurred during business hours that if publicized would be bad public relations for the library.

My main concern is the leniency displayed by the officers towards suspicious visitors toting huge packages that appear to be weapons of some sort, these same patrons are allowed to loiter the bldg. and sometimes they display barbaric behavior towards staff and customers. The officers that are African American are very lenient towards their own race. Just recently the city hired security guards that sit at the entrances about once every month, it could be that a celebrity or some politician is visiting that day, but these guards give me the creeps! More so the ones that are outside daily in their blue suits just eyeballing everyone but the troublemakers! With the threat of terrorism rising all around us I wouldn't be surprised if some of these men in uniform are muslims ready to do jihad!
Well that came out of nowhere...

Old 05-12-2015, 02:21 PM

10,958 posts, read 10,646,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awareof View Post

Are public libraries considered a high value target by terrorists? I'd normally think they'd be more interested in attacking sports venues, shopping malls, etc. rather than a learning institution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles