U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,348 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a new job in Beverly Hills tomorrow and looking for the best route from Cerritos (South Street & 605) to Beverly Hills (Wilshire & San Vicente) during morning rush hour. I have no idea how long to expect the commute to take, nor the best route as this will be my first time there. Most mapping software says to take the 605 to the 5 to the 10, but that seems like it would probably be the busiest way. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by DevilSaint78; 07-02-2012 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 06:09 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,538,208 times
FYI, wilshire/san vicente is in beverly hills, which is not very close to hollywood. that's a crappy commute by the way. there's lots of different equally crappy ways to get to beverly hills, but i might try 105W>405N>La Cienega all the way up to BH. san vicente meets wilshire just a few blocks from la cienega.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,348 times
Oops...that's what I meant. Fingers didn't type what the brain wanted. Thanks for the heads up I went ahead and changed it in the OP.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:07 AM

329 posts, read 482,186 times
Ooh tough one. I used to live in BH and know exactly where that is. Anyway there's no easy route, everyone is heading in the same direction. Try 605N-710N-10W-then get off on Crenshaw or Arlington and go local from there. 10W is literally a parking lot during rush hour. Good luck.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:30 AM

671 posts, read 1,000,388 times
Ok, you've gotten good driving suggestions, but I'm gonna try and give you a transit option that does have a bit of a challenge:

I knew someone who commuted to BH (right near your destination, but further west in heart of BH) from Cerritos to BH, and out of frustration he experimented the following:

1. Norwalk Green Line to Blue Line to Purple Line to Metro Rapid Wilshire

2. Norwalk/Santa Fe Springs (or Buena Park) Metrolink to Purple Line to Metro Rapid Wilshire.

You should know that although the Green, Blue, Purple requires more transfers, the rush-hours service is so frequent for those lines that the number of transfers is no big deal with usually very little waiting time for the next train.

He found the driving and rail portion of his commute to be bliss! The challenge was the last few miles. Metro Rapid is an MTA bus service that skips many stops and sometimes can hold a green light at intersections for faster service along Wilshire blvd. While the trip from the Wilshire/Western Purple Line station terminus to your destination would be only about a 10 minute bus ride, it can be very saturated, and you may have to stand part or all the way, but the Metro Rapid bus will get your there pretty fast compared to the local or limited services.

On the way home, he found the Metro Rapid to be sometimes saturated or just the most affected by traffic, and, hence, the least predictable. Again, the rail portions were good to excellent for him.

However, he NEVER returned to driving the commute as he found he could deal with the short bus ride, and it was so much better than his drive and was worth whatever compromise such as the drive to the station, but after a few days, he found that to be so easy.

He preferred using Metrolink commuter trains to Union Station, then connect to Purple Line as Metrolink was more comfortable and he always got a seat, and he found his fellow commuters were more his "ilk" than the masses on the Green and Blue lines--although they were safe and there are people (middle class) such as he on those trains, Blue line was just always crowded and sometimes didn't always get a seat going into work on the Blue Line until a few stops later, but almost always got a seat going home.

Metrolink tickets include FREE transfers to MTA buses and rail, but Metolink fares are higher than MTA. The Green, Blue, and Purple to Metro Rapid option is less expensive option with either a monthly pass or a $5 day pass.

Check the details at
www-dot-mta-dot-net
www-dot-metrolinktrains-dot-com

There you have it. Good luck on your commute.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 25,811 times
Default What about a commute to Cerritos?

I'm a single woman in my mid 30s who has received a job offer in Cerritos, CA. From what I've read, Cerritos is a suburb mostly consisting of families so I don't think it's a place I'd necessarily want to live in since I'm single. I need to figure out if if would make more sense for me to live in Long Beach (on the coast as I know that's the safer part of Long Beach) or up in L.A. like maybe the Silverlake, mid-Wilshire, or West Hollywood areas. Basically, if I'm to commute to Cerritos every day, would it be easier to go up north to it from Long Beach or go down south to it from Silverlake/mid-Wilshire?

Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM

203 posts, read 491,536 times
Helicopter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or