Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 11:14 PM

203 posts, read 577,118 times

Advertisements

What?? The areas around CSUDH are bad??? Nope..maybe a mile away in Compton, but all of those areas right there in Carson are very nice. Mainly houses, and very middle class. It's not many apartments near, though, really just houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:13 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartersMommy View Post
I would like to keep the tuition down so I am considering state schools. I currently live in Las Vegas.
I would apply to a university in Nevada. The next round of state budget cuts will cut even more jobs in social work from all over CA.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:23 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
What about other Cal States? Sacramento? Chico? Other lower cost places?

Channel Islands?

Do other lower cost CS have the major you want? Do you have to live in an expensive city?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 PM

17 posts, read 38,924 times
While CSULA's exact location may seem questionable, Alhambra, which is immediately off campus, is a nice, affordable city that has many very attractive neighborhoods that are family friendly. Alhambra is quite safe, also. You can certainly find a two bedroom apartment, possibly even a rental house, within your price range. And, your commute to campus would be literally minutes on the surface streets, depending on which part of the city you are in and the time of day. If you are seriously considering CSULA, don't let the location scare you away. The fact is that there are so many great options in the surrounding areas, such as Alhambra, South Pasadena, Pasadena, etc. And, from personal experience, I will tell you that CSULA is a great school! Good luck to you!

Old 07-17-2012, 12:16 PM

15 posts, read 38,158 times
I am applying to UNLV and to a few other states in the Western part of the US, but I do not want to live in Las Vegas anymore. I hate it here. My husband is in finance so we need to live in a larger city and I am not very fond of small places.

I was also considering Sacramento but I have never been there I would need to visit there before I applied.

CA4NOW- If they are cutting so many social work jobs in CA, why are they offering stipends to pay for school if you work for a state agency? Doesn't that imply that they need more workers? Honest question.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:17 PM

15 posts, read 38,158 times
Thanks GreenBeetle- I was curious about that because I have heard that CSULA has a great MSW program. I wouldn't mind living in Pasadena or Alhambra at all.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:38 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,797 times
San Francisco State ? Urban environment, great city. But I guess living there would be too expensive.

Sacramento State is a good choice. Urban amenities in a relatively small town feel. Not as expensive as the Bay Area. The campus is nice too, located in East Sacramento.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:25 PM

4 posts, read 3,732 times
I live in a 2BR for 1490, close to CSUN, less than 2 miles from campus. Nice gated apt with pool, spa, clubhouse and fitness area. PM me and ill send you pics of the area/complex.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:40 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
If they are cutting so many social work jobs in CA, why are they offering stipends to pay for school if you work for a state agency? Doesn't that imply that they need more workers? Honest question.
San Jose State has arguably the most renowned MSW program in the CSU system (first public institution of higher learning on the West Coast as well). They have always offered stipends in exchange for working for state agencies, and demand is always high for social workers throughout he Bay Area. How much that demand is met has to do with the budget handed down by Sacramento.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:16 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
CA4NOW- If they are cutting so many social work jobs in CA, why are they offering stipends to pay for school if you work for a state agency? Doesn't that imply that they need more workers? Honest question.
Our company let 20% of its social workers go two years ago. Another round of budget cuts is currently in the process. My brother's non profit had to let 28% of their staff go last year, although they're in Orange County. The field of social services in general has been badly hurt by California's recession. Be careful what these schools tell you; they're as badly hurt by the recession as everyone else and they need students. In addition, all the Cal States have taken huge cuts in administrative staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles