Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times

Advertisements

Hermosa Beach is a tiny town. I believe it's a square mile, and that's it. It's mostly very small apartments, although there are a few streets with single family homes. I believe it is a separate city because they have different laws regarding the bars and traffic tickets, two major sources of income--they also like the sort of laws that make political statements. It's a fun little town, but definitely a singles scene. The strand area in HB can get quite noisy at night and sometimes a little rambunctious.

If you live in the south bay, you'll spend your time in Hermosa, Manhattan, and Redondo without thinking about which town you're in. The three just sort of melt together, and although they have slightly different personalities the beach cities all seem sort of interchangeable. And, FWIW, people can and do walk between the three cities all the time. The south bay is just the kind of place where people like to be outside walking, and it's no big deal to live in RB and walk over to a party in MB, or live in HB and walk over to meet friend for lunch at Henneseys in MB, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:00 PM

203 posts, read 577,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
They're not that close. Never been but Google says it's about 2-3 miles. That's still a ways to walk, especially for tired kids. I know people who live literally down the street from their schools so yeah.

I don't think they're broke at all. The house prices are pretty steep, almost like celebrity-level even if you're not living on the beach (to actually live on it costs several millions).
We're talking High Schools....there isn't a High School every single mile. 3-5 miles is the usual distance for everybody in L.A. when it comes to the High School they attend.

I grew up in Gardena in the Northwest part of it, near Crenshaw and Rosecrans...so I ended up being closer to Leuzinger High and Hawthorne High which were in Hawthorne, as well as North High in Torrance. Even Morningside in Inglewood and Washington in L.A. were probably closer than Gardena High was to me. I would have only been able to walk to Leuzinger, and that would have been a good 15-20 minute walk.

Elementary Schools are a lot different, it's usually one in every square mile or so.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:05 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Tistic View Post
We're talking High Schools....there isn't a High School every single mile. 3-5 miles is the usual distance for everybody in L.A. when it comes to the High School they attend.

I grew up in Gardena in the Northwest part of it, near Crenshaw and Rosecrans...so I ended up being closer to Leuzinger High and Hawthorne High which were in Hawthorne, as well as North High in Torrance. Even Morningside in Inglewood and Washington in L.A. were probably closer than Gardena High was to me. I would have only been able to walk to Leuzinger, and that would have been a good 15-20 minute walk.

Elementary Schools are a lot different, it's usually one in every square mile or so.
That's true, it's kinda varied though. I didn't say there was one every single mile. I said I know people who happened to live that close (or even closer) to the schools. Especially when you come to LAUSD and the fact that most cities in SGV are really only like three miles max, two high schools in a district gets the job done. But I guess it's kinda different depending where you live.

Me personally, I lived only almost two miles from my HS and I already thought that was a bit of a stretch. Especially with books and the humid LA weather, half an hour was killer. Some kids took the bus, though.

Last edited by Elle Oh Elle; 07-11-2012 at 03:15 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 08:41 PM

491 posts, read 2,290,664 times
Hermosa Beach has the fewest children per capita of any California city, and it's a tiny city to boot.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:41 PM

203 posts, read 577,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
That's true, it's kinda varied though. I didn't say there was one every single mile. I said I know people who happened to live that close (or even closer) to the schools. Especially when you come to LAUSD and the fact that most cities in SGV are really only like three miles max, two high schools in a district gets the job done. But I guess it's kinda different depending where you live.

Me personally, I lived only almost two miles from my HS and I already thought that was a bit of a stretch. Especially with books and the humid LA weather, half an hour was killer. Some kids took the bus, though.
Yea, for almost everybody I knew, we ALL took buses or drove/got rides. I know plenty folks who went to HS 6-8 miles away, sometimes 15-20 miles away...such as those from South Central, Inglewood, even Long Beach who went to Palisades High.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:21 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Yeah, Hermosa is so close, it was an easy bike ride or bit longer walk. But not bad really. Believe it or that is one of the things I really look back on with fondness growing up there. I loved riding my bike up that big hill (Gould Ave.). It was great excercise, especially with a one speed. Then I would jam down it on the way home and if the waves were good head out surfin'. Now with mountain bikes and 20+ gears it would be much easier. The beach cities are usually quite a bit cooler than the rest of LA. And of course there is no school in the Summer. So Fall-Spring was always fine.

For those who are not from there it seems pretty small, and in some ways its. But from border of Manhattan Beach to the Redondo Beach breakwall its a good run along the beach or skateboard along the strand. And there are plenty of homes/people there with a pretty up beat vibe. Overall its a fun little town. Nothing wrong with smaller towns at all. In fact I prefer them.

It is true that Hermosa, Manhattan and Redondo can blend together in some ways since they are so close. But each have their own unique vibe. Redondo being the largest has at least several very distinct areas (South closer to PV, North next to MB, Central). Also real estate shoots up substantial the closer one gets to the beach with the Strand homes being the most expensive - but what views they have!

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles