U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:31 PM

4 posts, read 5,728 times

Advertisements

I am a mom with 5 and 8 year old sons, considering to work at los angels community college. Where is the best place around the area for a family with school aged kids with good public schools? We look for an apartment where people are friendly to small kids making noises, where other families with small kids live, and where it is safe to walk around. I have spent some time around pasadena and its surrounding and like those areas; however, it is too far. I do not want to commute. Advices will be nice
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 06:45 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,997,649 times
I don't want to rain on your parade, but the area is generally not family-friendly. It is crowded, aging, littered with bars, and has buses and trains everywhere. I think the closest you're gonna find matching your description is the area around LAX, Santa Monica, and some streets near The Grove (and I don't particularly recommend that last one since it's pricy). I know a lot of LACC students went to SMC, but I've never heard of the reverse.

I've commuted all the way from San Gabriel and it's not far (thank God for the freeway), however you might want to look into places like North Hollywood or Silverlake. My situation was quite different as a single female teenager, though. The girls who did have kids lived in Hollywood and Koreatown and sent them to daycare. The area is also much louder than most areas of LA, can get dangerous at night, so your kids might not enjoy that. Don't be surprised if you see homeless people. Even my classmates were bothered by such conditions and would threaten to go to SMC or PCC.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:17 PM

Thank you for your quick reply. I was thinking of silver lake and los feliz. Are those safe areas? Do families live? There are public schools around so there must be some families living. I lived in manhatten for 10 years myself, so I am used to a big city with homeless people, but I guess not the kids.

thanks ahead.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosourking View Post
Thank you for your quick reply. I was thinking of silver lake and los feliz. Are those safe areas? Do families live? There are public schools around so there must be some families living. I lived in manhatten for 10 years myself, so I am used to a big city with homeless people, but I guess not the kids.

thanks ahead.
Silverlake is much more affordable than the surrounding areas, plus they have a lot of close shops and places you can go to on foot. It is generally considered safe.

I actually know nothing of Los Feliz except that it has close proximity to Glendale and they happen to have an observatory. I heard Los Feliz is more gentrified than SL. These folks could help out, however. Plus, you could also try this.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:51 PM

18,256 posts, read 21,286,182 times
Silverlake and Los Feliz are great suggestions.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:49 AM

4,486 posts, read 9,899,242 times
Burbank.

Public schools beyond elementary in Silverlake and Los Feliz are quite iffy.

At the moment(845am), GPS shows the drive from the Lincoln Park area of Burbank to LACC using the 5 FWY to Los Feliz Bl is 9 miles and 22 minute drive in current traffic.

South Pasadena might also work. The 110 from just north of the 5 through the 101 will be terrible traffic, but the rest of the way on the 101 will be a reverse commute. Commute will probably be worse in the evening. The GPS currently shows that as a 11 mile commute with a current 30 minute drive time factoring in traffic.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:40 PM

329 posts, read 560,787 times
Area near LACC is dense and mostly ghetto. Good schools are hard to come by even though home prices are high. Silver Lake and Los Feliz aren't cheap. Area is nice but High schools are not so good. If good school is a must you need to look further like pasadena, arcadia, La Canada, etc

Old 07-11-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
Area near LACC is dense and mostly ghetto. Good schools are hard to come by even though home prices are high. Silver Lake and Los Feliz aren't cheap. Area is nice but High schools are not so good. If good school is a must you need to look further like pasadena, arcadia, La Canada, etc
No offense, that's even worse. Arcadia is a ways from downtown, even by driving. Pasadena is a little closer but the OP specified she didn't want to commute such a distance. Plus, the rent for each is gonna be at least $3K for a desirable apartment in her situation. I don't think you can have it both ways unless you send them to a private school or alternative school. They have a lot of those in LAUSD.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:07 PM

I find two schools in Los Feliz having some standard school rating by state, 9 out of 10. Ivanho elementary and Franklyn Avenue Elementary. Anybody know those schools? My kids are 5 and 8. I think we will find out where is the best place to live as time goes on, but what's important for the next year or so is the safety and the quality of elementary schools.

I hear south pasadena has great schools, arcadia... I do know. a lot of chinese parents pushing the schools and the kids to do lots of homeworks.. stardardized tests are thus great though, but what is real education? We will eventually find out...

For now safety first, and good quality elementary school....

Old 07-11-2012, 06:21 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,577,796 times
I went to Los Feliz Elementary (near LACC), Thomas Starr King Jr High (off Sunset and Fountain), and John Marshall High (Los Feliz).

My advice is avoid King Jr High at all costs because that school is ghetto to the max.

Ivanho Elementary beats out Los Feliz Elementary. The neighborhood that Ivanho serves is a small area, though.

Marshall High is as good as high schools get in that part of LA.

Yeah, the East San Gabriel Valley has some of the best schools in LA County, but it's too way far from LACC.
Education-wise, the SGV high-achievers are all going to end up in top universities... whatever they are doing, they are doing it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>