Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,136 times

Advertisements

I have a meeting on Ventura Boulevard. I was told I can take the subway from downtown to Universal. On the map, it looks like I need to be 5 miles from that subway station. Are there taxi cabs in that part of LA that go up and down Ventura Boulevard or do I have to call in advance (or just take a cab from downtown)?

What about the return trip though? Is it easy to find a cab up in that area of the city to take me back downtown or at least to the subway by Universal?

I know LA isn't NY with regards to transit, but at least when I have been on business in downtown LA, I have seen plenty of taxis pick people up on the street.

Thank you for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 01:42 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
so you'll be staying in downtown LA? if so, get a business card for a local cab company from your hotel. even if you can't hail a cab from the street, they'll usually come get you fairly quickly (5 minutes or so). the other option is the bus down ventura blvd, but 5 miles can be a long bus ride, although considerably cheaper. there are buses on ventura blvd every few minutes, you could even try to catch an express bus if you'll be getting off at a major intersection.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,136 times
Yep staying in downtown LA. Do you by chance know the bus number?

I would take a cab to the location, Ventura and Van Nuys Blvds to make sure I get there on time. On the return trip time isn't an issue so the bus would be a great option if I can't find a cab.

Are the cab companies city wide?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:30 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
it's the 750 line. goes from universal city station all the way down ventura blvd to woodland hills. http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bu...images/750.pdf.

as for cabs, they are licensed by the city, so they can pick you up anywhere within in the city limits of LA, so you should be fine even in the valley. fyi, i work on ventura blvd and you never see cabs driving up and down the street looking for fares. you'll have to call.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
I want to take the bus from 22000 Ventrua blvd,91367 and go to Kodak theather. What bus and metro should I take?

Old 07-27-2012, 04:46 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
You can take the subway from DTLA to Universal City Station and take either the 150/240/750 bus. All go to Van Nuys/Ventura Blvd. metro.net has the schedules. There is a mobile app "Go Metro" and "Next bus" which I use for my iphone. It tells how many minutes the next bus arrives at your stop. I think it is fairly accurate. I say give yourself some extra time for stuff like missed connections or traffic. $5 for the whole day plus $2 for a TAP card. Not sure if they stopped using paper tickets.

For AC26848. The 150/240 bus goes from Topanga Canyon/Ventura to Universal City Station. Get off Hollywood/Highland Station to get to the Dolby Theatre aka Kodak Theatre.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:26 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,976 times
I dont know..I'd take a cap if your on business and its only one trip.

I tried to figure out a way for a friend to get from Santa Monica/Sepulveda to Pico blvd, about 6 blocks east of la brea. Seems like a pretty big hassle for such a simple trip unless you have an extra 1/2 hour to walk some of the way. Cab'd it instead. Turned out much better.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:41 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
In LA, everyone drives (and fights the infamous traffic) because the public transportation options are so disjointed and inefficient.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:30 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
In LA, everyone drives (and fights the infamous traffic) because the public transportation options are so disjointed and inefficient.
Not entirely true in recent years.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:27 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Not entirely true in recent years.
exactly. I was visiting last month. I got a TAP card and never worried. I used zipcar twice - once to check out the coast from Malibu down to Long Beach and the other time to get up to Griffith Park. Other than that there was really no need for a car.

I'm still making fun of my friends who live there for always being 10 minutes to an hour late to places we were supposed to meet because of traffic.

Locals were generally freaked out that a) i rode a bus and b) that i'm not from there and i figured out how to do it. I told everyone the secret - google transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles