Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:53 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,635,983 times

Advertisements

I live in Glendale and I have to state honestly that my family and I are a little concerned about the increase in Section 8 housing in our neighborhood. I don't begrudge those who need it, but some of the tenants are lowlifes and behave as such out in public. There has already been an increase in purse snatchings, car break-ins, cell phones snatched out of people's hands, and physical attacks against the elderly. I used to feel fairly safe walking out late by myself but not so much anymore.

Some of these tenants are very inconsiderate neighbors - throwing trash on the lawns, loud music at all hours of the day and night, congregating in alleyways, boorish behavior at the grocery stores and local restaurants.

Everybody has a right to decent housing true, but people who are gainfully employed taxpayers want to feel relatively safe in their own neighborhoods and have worked hard to live among others like themselves - middle-class people who respect others property and themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 04:41 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Yeah I totally agree...That's one of the huge problems with this city in general...bending over backwards for people that don't contribute while allowing quality of life to go downhill for the average employed taxpayer as you say.

Does anyone know if being convicted of a crime means you lose your Section 8? It should be one of the rules if it's not.

It seems crazy that we are subsidizing housing for so long for so many

When these programs started they were intended to be SHORT TERM solutions for people , no being on welfare , section 8 for life..

Old 01-30-2013, 05:09 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,057 times
Mayor Rex seems really pissed about certain homeless ex-cons being eligible for Section 8.

‘War’ Over Section 8? Lancaster Mayor Slams Giving Benefits To Parolees « CBS Los Angeles

Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Wow yeah that's something else. Liberal politics gone WRONG ...and that's coming from a democrat.

We gotta have some common sense in this state and stop treating criminals better than law abiding citizens.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 PM

164 posts, read 347,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Wow yeah that's something else. Liberal politics gone WRONG ...and that's coming from a democrat.

We gotta have some common sense in this state and stop treating criminals better than law abiding citizens.
Funny thing you say that. I was talking to this Really Conservative guy, a Rush Limbaugh type and he told me that Liberals love their policies, until they have to live by them. I thought about it and had a serious epiphany.

.Yes to mass transit, but DON'T bring it into my neighborhood.
.Yes to low income housing, BUT not in my neighborhood.
.Yes to affordable housing, BUT not anywere near me or I will file a lawsuit on the basses of an environmental report.
.Yes to free to affordable healthcare with those who don't have it, but DON'T bring any free to low cost clinics here or else.
. Yes to smaller class rooms and more schools, but DON'T build one here in our community. We don't want "those" people here.
.Yes to diversity, BUT you Armenians are not allowed to build the type of homes you embody in your culture. they are ugly and to big. Go somewhere else.
.Yes to helping the homeless, poor, and former addicts with rehabilitation, BUT we don't want you in our neighborhoods, go somewhere else. No rehabilitation homes here please.

Could you imagine any of the following being proposed in Studio City

Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Federal and state law both require that a certain number of units in a residential zone be set aside for "low income people", which is a broad term and can mean the elderly, disabled, homeless veterans or Section 8.

Honestly, I can't say I blame your family for being weary of Section 8. Many of the people who use that program have given it a very bad reputation.
Can you give proof of this? A Link? I never heard of a federal or state law requiring a number of units to be low income or affordable. I know that there was a similar state law passed a few years ago but supposedly it was unlawful when Valley village challenged those proposed apartments in court that were going to be 11% low income.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
Funny thing you say that. I was talking to this Really Conservative guy, a Rush Limbaugh type and he told me that Liberals love their policies, until they have to live by them. I thought about it and had a serious epiphany.

.Yes to affordable housing, BUT not anywere near me or I will file a lawsuit on the basses of an environmental report.
.Yes to free to affordable healthcare with those who don't have it, but DON'T bring any free to low cost clinics here or else.
. Yes to smaller class rooms and more schools, but DON'T build one here in our community. We don't want "those" people here.
.Yes to diversity, BUT you Armenians are not allowed to build the type of homes you embody in your culture. they are ugly and to big. Go somewhere else.
.Yes to helping the homeless, poor, and former addicts with rehabilitation, BUT we don't want you in our neighborhoods, go somewhere else. No rehabilitation homes here please.

More like...Yes to free, affordable clinics, but let me keep my Cadillac PPO plan so I don't have to mingle with the unwashed masses.

You have just identified the invasive species known as The Limousine Liberal . The guy (or gal) who likes to climb on that pedestal and preach egalitarianism and peace and love and a program for this and a program for that...then he (or she) hops back into their limo and drives back up into the hills through that shiny brass gate with an armed guard posted 24/7.

BTW: There are Section 8 rental homes in Studio City. People who bought at the peak there are trying desperately not to lose their asses and have rented some of their Studio City properties to Section 8 voucher holders...Hey, why not let Uncle Sam write you a monthly check when you screw up? right?

...And don't forget that we get overflow from eastern Van Nuys and NoHo in Studio City as well .

Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
More like...Yes to free, affordable clinics, but let me keep my Cadillac PPO plan so I don't have to mingle with the unwashed masses.

You have just identified the invasive species known as The Limousine Liberal . The guy (or gal) who likes to climb on that pedestal and preach egalitarianism and peace and love and a program for this and a program for that...then he (or she) hops back into their limo and drives back up into the hills through that shiny brass gate with an armed guard posted 24/7.

BTW: There are Section 8 rental homes in Studio City. People who bought at the peak there are trying desperately not to lose their asses and have rented some of their Studio City properties to Section 8 voucher holders...Hey, why not let Uncle Sam write you a monthly check when you screw up? right?

...And don't forget that we get overflow from eastern Van Nuys and NoHo in Studio City as well .
Section 8 in Studio City? Homes? I find that hard to believe because an owner can get way more renting it. Section 8 doesn't even pay that much in rent for studio City's housing market.. From HACLA website:
$1,156 - 1 Bedroom
$1,443 - 2 Bedroom
$1,939 - 3 Bedroom
$2,331 - 4 Bedroom
$2,681 - 5 Bedroom
They used to pay more than this, but effective this year, they scaled the maximum payments back.

You might find an apartment in Studio City.....IF you can, but not a house, I highly doubt. And from experience, they will never advertise or put on a public listing that they take it. If they take it, they take it quietly, Unlike in Van Nuys where they literally have banners that say section 8 or have listings on the housing authority website. One good thing about section 8 is that you are not required to advertise your housing on any listing, not even on the housing authorities listing. So if you ask someone if they take section 8, they can stereotype you for whatever reason (race/previewed social class or status/) and tell you no. However, if that person finds out that you do indeed take it ( which is next to impossible if the building/house isn't publicly on a list), you can be sued because that practice is illegal. I'm sure they do it anyway because they know the chances of getting caught or slim to none.
If it wasn't for the bad apples, everyone would LOVE to take section 8. But because of the ghettos, its hard to find it in a nice or decent area that ADVERTISE it. Trust me, If I owned a building, I would love to rent out units knowing of a guaranteed payment. Makes life much easier. However, I would never advertise it. I would quietly look for tenants that have at least some college, work, and can prove that they are decent people. Maybe seniors or disabled as well.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:30 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,844,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post

Like the person below me said, this is what you call a "Limousine Liberal". I am a moderate Democrat, and all of those things you just listed sounds great for my neighborhood, except for the big Armenian McMansion - but it doesn't matter if it is Armenian, Japanese or whitey building it, keep it out. In my experience the vast majority of liberals that I know would be more on my side than that of the Limousine Liberal. Just as I know most conservatives are not fat, bald, screaming drug-addict hypocrites - they just like low taxes and smaller government.

Something tells me this "friend" of yours is really just you....

Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,844,204 times
Oh and Studio City has mass transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles