Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:22 AM

4 posts, read 16,922 times

Advertisements

Code Enforcement (CE) NIGHTMARES (Grand Jury indicted Ventura CE in June 2012)

CE if applied sanely is (should be) a good thing

.. HOWEVER there is current rampant epidemic of National CE abuse !!

Example:

neighbor complaint(s),

whom, lets assume, have ulterior motive(s)

In my case 2 newer neighbors desired to buy my 1955 remodeled house,

so their 3rd relative can co-locate, at >50% value bargain discount bonus due to present economy,

I declined.. (whoooops!!!) am older 67, have medical disability + desire to live out my years here =familiar

Neighbor(s) then embarked on plan: systematic barrage of false complaints re: my property to the city,

including harboring conditions, that may attract vermin, than may have fleas, than may have disease!

(in spite my property being under extensive repairs: yard bulldozed =all sand ~1mi from ocean LA area so
little "harborage", yet these neighbors: 17 ducks, 20 pigeons, ripe fruit trees (at shared block wall), bean & pea gardens, 4 dogs 2 cats, got no CE even after I submitted claim against them to offset the false claim against me)

yet I'm only one cited in spite overwhelming evidence to contrary, successfully prosecuted by mighty city!

received 15 day jail sentence! Would you believe in era of overcrowded jails, no wonder!! Los Angeles

Normally you'd think inspectors would be just moderators,

but as in my case I've been here TOO long: 40+years: property tax is low (Prop13) compared to turn overs

Brainstorming City Gov't workers seize opportunity: endless harassment, false, marginal Code Enforcement violations, attacking grand fathered clause use (my case: laundry in 18x20 garage now a violation in spite where most neighbors still have /use theirs w/o CE violation, but in fear they may be next)

eventually forcing me elder occupant to move (or consider EOL option), to get relief from constant systematic CE harassment + abuse =court prosecution: 15 days jail for what stemmed from Overgrowth of Ivy (I cleared 2 yrs prior, but City CE successfully prosecuted due to my inept Public Defender)

Why? I ask my self? Why? some speculative postulation:

1. one neighbor=uniformed officer=privy to inside info/procedure to "abuse" process in his&relatives interests
2. City re-assesses: ++tax hike upon sale of old home; city income is a MAJOR motivator in stressed times
3. CE officer gets benefit: re-enforces keeping job, ammo for promotion= ^$ (increase tax $$ revenue)
4. Neighbor doesn't like my ivy growing on our shared wall (= overgrowth CE against me in spite of removal)
5. easy court conviction: VERY difficult win against City Hall= creates own rules, laws, resolutions, pensions

Note: Grand Jury recently (6/2012) indicted Ventura Calif for aggressive Code Enforcement tactics (abuse)

Thanks for listening :-) I am looking for advocates, my battle is ongoing; I'm losing, attorneys resist cases against city, plus we regular folk can't afford level of battle it takes City Govt cases are difficult!
(i've tried but lost $$ + case) city has bigger tools, experience backed by powerful govt dalescience at aol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 11:20 AM

110 posts, read 235,446 times
to be honest, they wouldn't have taken you in if there was no violation. in my city, the harshest thing i've heard is just severe fines, not jail time. so for them to put you in jail, i do imagine you must have been in some violation. city codes theses days are just all out non sense. almost everything is a violation. in my city fixing a flat in your driveway is probably a violation. they are useless to residents and just benefit the city's bank account.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:57 PM

they write up BOGUS violations..
it is CRAZY..
I was sick all year with pneumonia. wrote city, suspended permits & inspections until Dr cleared.

City performed a forced entry inspection anyway!! while I was sick, While I had a written extension from city!! go figure..

City dishonored their written extension and inspected anyway, unprecedented as never had been an INSIDE inspection yet!

a SET UP to enable violation: resulted 15 day jail sentence. NOT FAIR. plus Judge & court procedure errors: Public Defender was late to court, Judge started w/o her. they when she arrived PD put on NO defense for me her appointed client, didn't put me on stand to refute CE lies.. not my eyewitness in courtroom, in fact never counseled me prior to case, due to her arriving late to court. I had the written extension to prove city executed inspection was wrongful, had that no occurred no violation so no jail.

It was a poor job by Public Defender. If you believe this to be anything but a miscarriage of justice.. pray you don't get seriously ill and have to suspend contractors to recover!!!!!! as I did.

City does NOT play fair, they hold all the cards - .. dig into the details of this case if you believe otherwise.

Contractors had been working on the outside (removed stucco, re applied new stucco.
work started inside but did not yet get to point that required inside Inspection.

City wrote up everything that had been started but not finished in spite of my being on death bed!! and City was notified.
+ ton bogus stuff.. like illegal to have laundry in 18x20 garage, dirt pile in back yard.. (top soil to redo yd when I was well)
allegations like:
use of fireplace to burn garbage (never happened - I'm a camper against my religion - I do occasionally use it for firewood)
Use of inverted water bottle as urinal (in bathroom under construction - water bottle was funnel for roof leak - watermarks on floor were from rood rain leaks NOT urine!! they were just soooo anxious to write up a ton of violations)

Marumut:::: Are you a Code Enforcement inspector by chance?

I formerly believed the law to be just.. but NO LONGER, I've had too many experiences to prove they USE the system.. just as in this case.

If you think a disabled homeowner in a wheel chair deserves to spend 15 days in LACJ for what stemmed from overgrowth of Ivy.. when doing all I could to repair my old 1955 home, using my retirement savings (last worked 2004 - had heart attack in addition to permanent nerve disease & reason I use PWC - 24/7 pain management)

then you have the same affliction as the city!! if you don't already work for the city (i.e. get Special consideration as some of my neighbors do - one is uniformed officer)

PRAY you never get ill while attempting major construction on a shoestring budget!

City of Torrance County of LA 40+ year homeowner, seriously ill / struggling since 2004.. struggling now to keep my home on SS income (long ago paid off - but city appears to want me OUT)

Anyone out there able to help?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:45 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,498,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleScience View Post
,,,,City wrote up everything that had been started but not finished in spite of my being on death bed!!,,,,
It appears that you may exaggerate in some areas and the judge seen thru it.
Not quite a death bed now was it. Glad to see you have risen from the dead. It should all be down hill from here since you got the tough stuff out of the way.

No county likes to see building permits go stale. If you were unable to do the work you should have hired this out.
A public defender, you got what you paid for. They will sell you out each time.
I would search out a TV news group and try and get some public exposure on this.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:19 PM

There was NO exaggeration..
I had no opportunity to speak.. PD was late & never talked to me and only PD talks to Judge except when he err'e and started w/o PD present.. My only "talk"was to make motion to continue due to Medical Danger to be in court per 3 doctors letter.

guess you never had double pneumonia and struggled to breath.. 2x 911 saves..

I have not yet risen still on Dr orders to be inactive.. unhealing ulcer left leg.

I HAD contractors working
got too serious from dust (severe breathing difficulty -work was inside) had to stop them, see my earlier comments.

my next move is media exposure .. then maybe you then your will be made to understand how truly insane is this city action

+ Grand Jury & DOJ

Old 07-17-2012, 12:32 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,498,023 times
Quote:
There was NO exaggeration..
Think about it for one minute.

Telling a judge you were in your death bed. ??? Think about how silly it sounds when standing or sitting in a wheelchair in front of a judge. Still alive. Not quite the death bed yet you might think.

And yes I have had pneumonia a few times. You are not unique. Other people have it as bad or worse than you.
Pull up those big boy pants and get to business and quit complaining to strangers.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 AM

110 posts, read 235,446 times
Quote:
they write up BOGUS violations..
it is CRAZY..
I was sick all year with pneumonia. wrote city, suspended permits & inspections until Dr cleared.

City performed a forced entry inspection anyway!! while I was sick, While I had a written extension from city!! go figure..

City dishonored their written extension and inspected anyway, unprecedented as never had been an INSIDE inspection yet!

a SET UP to enable violation: resulted 15 day jail sentence. NOT FAIR. plus Judge & court procedure errors: Public Defender was late to court, Judge started w/o her. they when she arrived PD put on NO defense for me her appointed client, didn't put me on stand to refute CE lies.. not my eyewitness in courtroom, in fact never counseled me prior to case, due to her arriving late to court. I had the written extension to prove city executed inspection was wrongful, had that no occurred no violation so no jail.

It was a poor job by Public Defender. If you believe this to be anything but a miscarriage of justice.. pray you don't get seriously ill and have to suspend contractors to recover!!!!!! as I did.

City does NOT play fair, they hold all the cards - .. dig into the details of this case if you believe otherwise.

Contractors had been working on the outside (removed stucco, re applied new stucco.
work started inside but did not yet get to point that required inside Inspection.

City wrote up everything that had been started but not finished in spite of my being on death bed!! and City was notified.
+ ton bogus stuff.. like illegal to have laundry in 18x20 garage, dirt pile in back yard.. (top soil to redo yd when I was well)
allegations like:
use of fireplace to burn garbage (never happened - I'm a camper against my religion - I do occasionally use it for firewood)
Use of inverted water bottle as urinal (in bathroom under construction - water bottle was funnel for roof leak - watermarks on floor were from rood rain leaks NOT urine!! they were just soooo anxious to write up a ton of violations)

Marumut:::: Are you a Code Enforcement inspector by chance?

I formerly believed the law to be just.. but NO LONGER, I've had too many experiences to prove they USE the system.. just as in this case.

If you think a disabled homeowner in a wheel chair deserves to spend 15 days in LACJ for what stemmed from overgrowth of Ivy.. when doing all I could to repair my old 1955 home, using my retirement savings (last worked 2004 - had heart attack in addition to permanent nerve disease & reason I use PWC - 24/7 pain management)

then you have the same affliction as the city!! if you don't already work for the city (i.e. get Special consideration as some of my neighbors do - one is uniformed officer)

PRAY you never get ill while attempting major construction on a shoestring budget!

City of Torrance County of LA 40+ year homeowner, seriously ill / struggling since 2004.. struggling now to keep my home on SS income (long ago paid off - but city appears to want me OUT)

Anyone out there able to help?
actually, i am not but i have a close friend in CE

Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 AM

4,536 posts, read 10,577,162 times
Clean up your house and quit hoarding dude.

Simply videotape your up to code house with your attorney or the city inspectors present and your case is proven in your favor.

Otherwise youre just a nutjob.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:11 AM
CLN

1 posts, read 4,873 times
I totally believe this is happening to you. I talked with a woman in Trabuco Canyon that's being harrassed by CE over a roof she had put on her garage. The county is using CE to extort money out of her. CE is the perfect spot for a bully to go crazy and that's what's happening all over the country!

Old 10-30-2012, 09:31 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,542,495 times
This reads like the mindless blithering of a lunatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles