Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 08:31 PM

203 posts, read 576,951 times

Advertisements

When I was searching for a home, I realized that there were certain neighborhoods I was interested in that didn't list ANY homes for sale online. These areas happened to be some Middle Class, almost Upper Middle Class Black areas...one is called Century Heights, which is mainly between 108th and Century, and Crenshaw and Van Ness, in Inglewood. Another is called Athens on the Hill, which is located between El Segundo, Vermont, 120th, and the 110. Both of these have a lot of surprisingly nice homes for the areas that they are in.

I told one of my friends about this, and she said that in some areas of L.A., they will never list the homes for sale, and that you basically have to know someone who lives there in order to even find out what is for sale. I might believe that this is true, although it isn't ethical (may not even be legal?). I really doubt that there are areas with this many homes were only 1-2 will show for sale, with those being the worst looking ones in the area.

Has anyone heard of this practice, where the homes won't be listed online? Are there probably some for sale if you actually go through a realtor versus looking online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 09:45 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I'm seeing homes listed on Zilliow in both those areas.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:49 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Default No houses for sale

Surfridge (Playa Del Rey)

Old 07-20-2012, 12:21 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Maybe, sometimes, there are just NO HOUSES FOR SALE. At least not via an agent who list on the MLS. Some listings are "exclusive" so they may not hit the internet.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:09 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Tistic View Post
When I was searching for a home, I realized that there were certain neighborhoods I was interested in that didn't list ANY homes for sale online. These areas happened to be some Middle Class, almost Upper Middle Class Black areas...one is called Century Heights, which is mainly between 108th and Century, and Crenshaw and Van Ness, in Inglewood. Another is called Athens on the Hill, which is located between El Segundo, Vermont, 120th, and the 110. Both of these have a lot of surprisingly nice homes for the areas that they are in.

I told one of my friends about this, and she said that in some areas of L.A., they will never list the homes for sale, and that you basically have to know someone who lives there in order to even find out what is for sale. I might believe that this is true, although it isn't ethical (may not even be legal?). I really doubt that there are areas with this many homes were only 1-2 will show for sale, with those being the worst looking ones in the area.

Has anyone heard of this practice, where the homes won't be listed online? Are there probably some for sale if you actually go through a realtor versus looking online?
These are neighborhoods that are mostly (older) middle class Blacks that purchased homes there in the 60s and 70s (maybe 80s) and they usually have no mortgage (paid off years ago) and plan to live in these homes for the rest of their lives. So I think that is one of the main reasons that you aren't seeing a lot of those homes on the market. These people are not trading up for more expensive properties and they aren't losing their homes in foreclosures so not a lot of inventory comes on the market. There are a lot of areas were this happens (parts of Whittier comes to mind, too)

Old 07-20-2012, 11:19 AM

18 posts, read 50,981 times
I see some homes in zillow with a purchase history dating back to 70's for around $10,000. Amazing how the value of money has deflated to about 30-40x since then.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:57 PM

203 posts, read 576,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm seeing homes listed on Zilliow in both those areas.
I guess it's because I know exactly where the houses are, and they only show 1-2 houses that are like the smallest ones in that area that don't even "represent" how most homes are, if you get that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles