Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:46 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,958,241 times

Advertisements

A cop asked me for my age out of the blue today at El Pollo Loco on Sunset Blvd/Crescent Heights. NOT because he was sizing me up for something suspicious, NOT because I was in trouble, NOT because he was pulling me over or because of ANYTHING of that nature. It was only because I "look young" and he claimed he is sharpening his police skills so he can accurately gauge how old people are. Can I file a complaint for that?

It was at El Pollo Loco BUYING CHICKEN. I was standing in line and out of nowhere this cop walks by (he was eating) and he asked "Do you mind telling me how old you are? You look very young." I answered "It's personal and not any of your business" And he said "THAT's personal?" and I said "Yes, I don't have to tell you. It's not your concern". He just said sarcastically "Thanks for your cooperation" and sort of laughed and him and his cop friends walked out of El Pollo Loco.

I walked out once I got my chicken as they were walking towards my car and I said "Excuse me, why did you ask me how old I am? I find that very unprofessional and inappropriate". He said "I have to guess how old sometimes people are in my line of job and you looked young so that is why I asked". And then I said "Well, shouldn't you be doing that in Police Academy instead of practicing on random citizens?" Basically I just told him that I am a lot older than I look and that it was rude for him to ask me my age. It's almost an abuse of power because he was in uniform. It's like asking a STRANGER "How much do you weigh"... I mean, whose business is that? I told him that I was not obligated to tell him how old I am because it's none of his concern or business and he agreed that I had the right to not give him my age.

First of all, it IS rude to ask a stranger how old they are; it's no ones business. He wasn't asking me because of ANY other reason than because he wanted to practice his "age guessing " skills by his own words.

First of all, I am in my thirties but I DO look young because I'm 4ft 11, 90 lbs and I'm Asian. Just because I am petite and Asian doesn't mean that I am intimidated by a police officer. If he WASN'T a police officr I would have probably said "WTF is it to you? Do I even know you?". I don't talk to random people I don't know while buying food, let alone answer PERSONAL questions. He claimed it wasn't a PERSONAL question but in my opinion I do think it is. It's almost an abuse of power I think to ask me that question for no apparent reason.

He never said I was suspicious or anything. His sole motive was to practice ascertaining the age of people.

Is this appropriate? Isn't it unprofessional? I just told him I found this interaction bizarre and unprofessional on his behalf and I drove off and that was that. I didn't get his name and badge # though.

It really is WEIRD to ask strangers out of the BLUE how old they are without even introducing yourself? Who does that? Who seriously asks strangers how old they are? For "practice"? WTF

Last edited by jackie100; 07-21-2012 at 01:12 AM..

Old 07-21-2012, 12:58 AM

293 posts, read 893,152 times
Talking I also need practice on my forum age guessing skills!

Let me guess your approximately 13 years old?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:22 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,499,127 times
This is really what upsets you? you totally made a big deal out of nothing.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
The strangest, most unimportant things tend to bug this lady.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:37 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,501 times
There is no need to be upset.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:10 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
Y'know, if he were really trying to practice guessing someone's age, he'd go around asking everyone. I don't think that's the skill he's trying to hone and I think you lack the social skills to recognize when someone is hitting on you.
It's a win-win for both parties.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:27 AM

749 posts, read 838,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
A cop asked me for my age out of the blue today at El Pollo Loco on Sunset Blvd/Crescent Heights. NOT because he was sizing me up for something suspicious, NOT because I was in trouble, NOT because he was pulling me over or because of ANYTHING of that nature. It was only because I "look young" and he claimed he is sharpening his police skills so he can accurately gauge how old people are. Can I file a complaint for that?
For asking you your age?

WTF is this world coming to?

There is no hope.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:06 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The strangest, most unimportant things tend to bug this lady.
He really threw her a curve there.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:16 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I don't think that's the skill he's trying to hone and I think you lack the social skills to recognize when someone is hitting on you.
I was thinking the same thing. One of those 'duh...' moments.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:16 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
File a complaint? Really?

What do you want them to do....put a black mark in his personel file? Give him time off without pay? Fire him?

Maybe you should get an attorney and file a lawsuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: