Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old

275 posts, read 420,295 times

Advertisements

When there was a 4.2 in San Fernando several years ago there was barely a mention of it on the news. You people over there in the basin are more sensitive to shaking; the San Fernando Valley have experienced many that were much worse; a thousand times worse. See Moment magnitude scale - Wikipedia; it says an increase of two steps corresponds to a 103 = 1000 times increase in energy. So a 6.3 would be 1000 times worse, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Anybody here live in Carson?
4.3 magnitude earthquake hits Carson area, shakes SoCal:
https://abc7.com/earthquake-los-ange...t-an/11028566/

Old

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Anybody here live in Carson?
Exitus, we live in West Hawthorne off Aviation/Rosecrans. We felt that earthquake pretty good here. It was a jolt and lots of shaking. We weren't sure if it would stop. I really thought it would be more like close to 5.0 or over. Our hood/vent (glass) over our stove was swaying. Neighbors came out of their homes. I think Dr. Lucy said it was near the Newport/Inglewood fault which has had a lot of small quakes over the the last few years.

My oldest sister lives in Big Pine near Mammoth and they have earthquakes all the time up there. My first quake was in 1971 Sylmar - I was 17 and it scared the heck out of me. Of course the Northridge Quake was terrible. We lived in Redondo Beach at the time...

I dislike them...:-)

Old

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
The director of the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services will be stepping down at the end of the year.

"Ghilarducci said the No. 1 worry that keeps him up at night is “the big earthquake that we have not yet seen here in California.” A major earthquake in Los Angeles not only would be devastating to California in damage and lives lost but, given the state’s significant economic influence, the catastrophic impact would also reverberate across the nation and throughout the word.

Imagine the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach being shut down or California’s aging, half-century-old aqueducts and natural gas and petroleum pipelines and interstate railways snaking through Cajon Pass damaged or destroyed.

“There’s work that needs to be done in the area of preparedness, whether it’s infrastructure hardening and seismic retrofitting,” he said. “Think about this: Some of the gas lines alone in the Southern California basin are 100 years or older.”

The good news is that California has been preparing for earthquakes for decades, Ghilarducci said. Caltrans has retrofitted almost all the overpasses in California to ensure they are seismically sound and the state has invested heavily in an earthquake early warning system. The warnings won’t shield California from a disaster, but may allow trains to slow down, companies to shutdown manufacturing lines, doctors to stop medical procedures and cities to shut off water and power.

The director emphasized, however, Californians must do what they can to prepare."

https://www.latimes.com/california/n...or-ca-politics

Old

827 posts, read 658,903 times
So glad we moved out of California when we did.

Old

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
So glad we moved out of California when we did.
So glad you did, too.

Now go post in your own local forum.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
So glad you did, too.

Nobody is more happy that we moved out of the pits of California.

Old

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
Nobody is more happy that we moved out of the pits of California.
These last few posts are off topic and will probably be deleted but before that happens I will say I'm sorry you lived in the pits.

I don't live in the pits. I love where I live.

Old

Quote:
These last few posts are off topic and will probably be deleted but before that happens I will say I'm sorry you lived in the pits.

I don't live in the pits. I love where I live.
Okay.

Old

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
So glad you did, too.

+ Rep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles