U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 11:11 AM

6 posts, read 27,403 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have recently moved to the PV area from the east coast and it seems like everyone I meet is Republican with strong Christian values. Is this the "norm" in PV or have I just met only the conservative types? I consider myself more liberal and am surprised at the strong views I keep encountering.

Wondering if I landed in the wrong town or if it's a fluke? Where in the South Bay area are the more democratic/liberal folks?

Not trying to start any debates... seriously curious because I don't know if I want to put roots down here...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 11:54 AM

5,113 posts, read 18,986,827 times
The well to do liberal types(Hollywood types) live north along the coast(MDR, PP, Malibu, etc). Palos Verdes and Rolling Hills are really a different kind of animal(semi-rural almost). I don't know specifically about politics, but it is in Dana Rohrabacher's district.

Redondo Beach, just to the north, is more Democratic than PV is Republican according to the PVI index.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 PM

4,515 posts, read 10,095,349 times
Lol @deciding where to live based on political views. That reflects far more intolerance on yourself than on the majority.

I live downtown and as a Christian with very libertarian leaning republican view, I'm in the extreme minority. And it doesn't bother me one bit. Know why? It's because I'm tolerant and open minded about all points of view, even if others are not.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:21 PM

I'm not here to start a debate, as I stated before. And you make assumptions based on my questions, not knowing me or my views at all.

I accept all people regardless of their views. I've simply met far too many recently who do not share that sentiment. I have no problem with people having opposing views or expressing them. But I don't care to be judged based on my different view (since I do not judge theirs), nor do I want my kids growing up surrounded by people telling them they're going to hell, or that their gay relatives are going to hell. I've spent far too much time raising my kids to be tolerant to have them ONLY meeting people with intolerant views. I would like a little bit more of a mix there so we can have good, lively, open discussions and they can make their own decisions.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:18 PM

4,213 posts, read 7,868,283 times
Palos Verdes is one of the few conservative enclaves in LA county. It is wealthy, business oriented, and is closer to a wealthy part of OC than to most of LA... Dana Rohrabacher's district, which is mostly in OC, is specially carved just to take it in (so Janice Hahn's South Bay district is more safely democratic... before rohrabacher took in PV, the 36th was semi competitive).

If you move up to the Beach cities of Redondo, manhattan, hermosa, you will find its more moderate. Not exactly a liberal paradise like LA's westside or hollywood area, but about 50/50 if not leaning to the left.

Going inland to Torrance and Gardena you will find its solidly left.. but of course, not the income level of PV... so, consider the Beach cities.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:22 PM

Thank you, Disgruntled. That's more what I'm looking for... moderate and 50/50. I don't want to be surrounded with people exactly like myself - what's the fun in that? But it would be great to find something in the middle so there are others beside me that stand up to the other moms on the playground when they start gasping about how awful it is that the kids are learning about "alternative families" (i.e. something other than a mom, a dad and the kids...)

I was thinking about beach cities. I don't really want a liberal paradise - I just want to meet ONE other person who isn't a conservative christian that has to talk about it in EVERY conversation!

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2012, 02:54 PM

77,786 posts, read 98,945,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCountryGal View Post
Hello, I have recently moved to the PV area from the east coast and it seems like everyone I meet is Republican with strong Christian values. Is this the "norm" in PV or have I just met only the conservative types? I consider myself more liberal and am surprised at the strong views I keep encountering.

Wondering if I landed in the wrong town or if it's a fluke? Where in the South Bay area are the more democratic/liberal folks?

Not trying to start any debates... seriously curious because I don't know if I want to put roots down here...
I am sure you are wondering and the simple answer: yes, PV is among the most conservative areas in Ca, is it Bible Belt or strong Christian values as you put it, that depends on what you call Chrisian values? Are you talking high morals, I wish all areas could claim that, if you are talking holierthan thou, absolutely not. BTW: it is Democrat, not Democratic: our country is a Democratic country. And there are both parties represented in PV as well as everywhere. If you really are uncomfortable and have trouble being around conservatives you might want to consider the beach areas, like Redondo for starters or Manhattan Beach, even Long Beach. If you are just renting and have an option, you would be happier with some of those areas...I can't imagine living in an area and having political views bother me, but I guess I am just not that set in my ways. I rather enjoy talking to people with views different from mine.

Nita

Old 07-27-2012, 03:00 PM

77,786 posts, read 98,945,025 times
Quote:
I'm not here to start a debate, as I stated before. And you make assumptions based on my questions, not knowing me or my views at all.

I accept all people regardless of their views. I've simply met far too many recently who do not share that sentiment. I have no problem with people having opposing views or expressing them. But I don't care to be judged based on my different view (since I do not judge theirs), nor do I want my kids growing up surrounded by people telling them they're going to hell, or that their gay relatives are going to hell. I've spent far too much time raising my kids to be tolerant to have them ONLY meeting people with intolerant views. I would like a little bit more of a mix there so we can have good, lively, open discussions and they can make their own decisions.
wow, I am surprised your kids have been subjected to those types of comments. Of course, it doesn't make any difference where you live, there will be those who will judge, but I am guessing, the situations you are talking about are not common place, but happened once of twice, as PV, like much of So CA really olverly religious. I would have to wonder how the subject of gay relatives even came up? Are your kids very young or are they teens?

Old 07-27-2012, 03:03 PM

18,261 posts, read 21,672,006 times
Quote:

PV is not hardcore Republican like the OC. That is to say that they don't wear their conservatism on their sleeves or try to push their political views. I would say that the people are predominantly fiscal conservatives and social moderates. When I lived there I didn't encounter any sort of political hostility so you should be fine. In general, PV residents are predominantly business owners so that is the reason why I believe it leans more to the right but the people are relatively laid back, fairly friendly and chances are you would never even know their political leanings.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:07 PM

I am not "that set in my ways". I just haven't yet met one person who shares my values (or isn't afraid to say so). I find it interesting is all. I enjoy having friends with different views, but I also enjoy having a few that share mine. Yes, there are high moral values here - I think it's great. But I have also encountered a lot of people who openly (in groups, I mean) talk about being anti-gay, anti-gay rights, and some have even talked negatively about non-Christians. That saddens me as I try to accept and be tolerant of all people and want my kids to do that too.

That's all.

I appreciate the input and now that several have said that yes, PV is a conservative area, I am satisfied. I was just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles