Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 03:09 AM

671 posts, read 1,184,614 times

Advertisements

I know we discussing RESIDENTS, but I do know that back in the 1980's, downtown population during the working hours was over 700,000. Does anyone know what the working week daytime population of downtown LA is today? It seems LESS than the 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 05:36 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,936,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
I know we discussing RESIDENTS, but I do know that back in the 1980's, downtown population during the working hours was over 700,000. Does anyone know what the working week daytime population of downtown LA is today? It seems LESS than the 80's.
WOW. My guess these days that it would be around 250-400k but that's just a guess. I would like to know that it actually is myself.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:39 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,777,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
WOW. My guess these days that it would be around 250-400k but that's just a guess. I would like to know that it actually is myself.

Downtown Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 08-09-2012, 05:51 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,936,929 times
Cool link

Old 08-09-2012, 06:11 PM

35 posts, read 95,987 times
The limiting factor on people moving to DTLA is jobs. LA times had a story lately listing the percentage of jobs by location. Downtown had only as much jobs as many of the suburbs, something around 10%. In that sense, it is just another suburb.

LA is not like other big cities such as Chicago or NY where most of the jobs are downtown. In cities where most of the employment is in a centralized location, people well move to where the jobs are, and shops follow.

The biggest flaw of the rejuvenation of downtown LA plan is jobs. For most So Cal folks, we only go downtown if we have to. Thus, most only visit once or twice a year. I know many folks who have not been down there in years. The reason being, they work, shop, play, live and worship where they live, which is the suburbs.

In order for DTLA to become the hip-happening place that some politicians fantasize about. Much more jobs will need to be created. It is a false belief that just by converting old buildings into flats, people will flock to downtown. What people are missing is that many if not most of the new converted residential buildings, used to be industrial buildings where people worked! Turing them into housing will not revive downtown. Getting the manufacturing and professional jobs back is what will drive people to move back to downtown.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:22 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,777,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofcat View Post
Getting the manufacturing and professional jobs back is what will drive people to move back to downtown.
Manufacturing? No. No one could afford that neighborhood with a manufacturing job budget.

It would be interesting to see how many people that live in DTLA work there.

Another thing to keep in mind is that DTLA is the axis of LA's transportation system - you can easily live in DTLA and work in a wide variety of locations.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:53 PM

223 posts, read 521,100 times
I don't see it happening anymore. We were in one of the lofts and rent was raised through the roof. Going from $2150 to $2500 for $845 sq. ft. 12 month lease or $2800 for month to month lease. The security told us they hadn't seen so many people leave in the couple months before we left. They also did a triple take on what our rent would have been raised to and said we were smart for looking to buy a house and save money. It felt like our floor was becoming vacant, so that turned out to be true. I had also heard others talking in the elevators about other complexes doing the same thing. This is for rent.

Now you add the crazy prices for condos where most HOA's are in the $800+/month for the little 900 sq. ft. studios, and I don't know what type of person would want to live down there. Do people earning that kind of money want to live like that when there are plenty of decent places to have a backyard for much cheaper?

After living down there I just don't think its going to happen yet. City Target and Ralphs are too big pluses though.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,293,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
That's crazy, I can't picture that many people through those blocks during the daytime. What type of jobs were located in DTLA back in the 1980s?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:23 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,142,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
That's crazy, I can't picture that many people through those blocks during the daytime. What type of jobs were located in DTLA back in the 1980s?
I imagine this was part of it:

Spring Street Financial District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofcat View Post
LA is not like other big cities such as Chicago or NY where most of the jobs are downtown. In cities where most of the employment is in a centralized location, people well move to where the jobs are, and shops follow.

The biggest flaw of the rejuvenation of downtown LA plan is jobs. For most So Cal folks, we only go downtown if we have to. Thus, most only visit once or twice a year. I know many folks who have not been down there in years. The reason being, they work, shop, play, live and worship where they live, which is the suburbs.

In order for DTLA to become the hip-happening place that some politicians fantasize about. Much more jobs will need to be created. It is a false belief that just by converting old buildings into flats, people will flock to downtown. What people are missing is that many if not most of the new converted residential buildings, used to be industrial buildings where people worked! Turing them into housing will not revive downtown. Getting the manufacturing and professional jobs back is what will drive people to move back to downtown.
That's the annoying part. You also miss out on the "real" city life and some claim they like the suburbs better than the city life. Nonetheless, DT still has more diversity, more public transit, and more everything.

I don't think they can get those jobs back anymore. They've all been outsourced. What little left of it is more in West LA now.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,969,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

I've seen estimates which put downtown LA's daytime population (i.e., the total number of employees in downtown) at 400,000 to 500,000. Like this study here which was done in 2005 and put the number at 418,000. More or less the same borders as the link you posted.

http://www.downtownla.com/pdfs/econ_...rvey022007.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles