Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2007, 02:06 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,017,950 times

Advertisements

I am a Fashion major from Texas (by way of Milwaukee). I graduate in October 2008, but because I two teens who will be in school, I decided to wait until end of school May 2009. I have been looking at FIDM, American Continental, Fashion Institute and some others to continue my education and I am not sure if I want to do San Fransisco, San Diego, LA or what. I've never been there but will start taking weekend getaways to get a feel for California after I graduate in October 2008 (hopefully that will give me enough time).Can someone give me a breakdown on where it might be a good fit?

To pay the bills I am in the Telecommunications industry (until Fashion Career takes off) and hubby is a sous-chef. ~ not rich

We have 2 teens (girl and boy) ~ education important

and we're African American. ~ We prefer diversity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 01:45 AM

153 posts, read 636,655 times
Um, FIDM is a great school, but unless you can afford private school for your kids, I would NOT move to LA. It really just doesn't make any sense. This is not a place for people in your position. People like you, with kids and skills are really looking to get out of here, as the cost of living is really too high to justify. I'm not hating on my hometown; there are some pros, but the cons are overwhelming (especially if you have children). And I say this as a person who has lived all over the country as an adult (including a year in Texas), so this is not a myopic view.

Also, as an African-American family, I would seriously suggest you look elsewhere. This place is just not for you (I'm A-A myself). Any questions feel free to pm me and I'll answer as best I can.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:32 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,017,950 times
Thank you for your response. I would love to talk to you more about LA but I haven't learned how to PM yet on this board. Give me a minute though ! :-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: