Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 09:42 PM

12 posts, read 12,977 times

Advertisements

I have to make a choice of either moving to NJ or CA. Which state would be best to raise 2 kids. Income around 120k for family of 4. Is it enough in NJ or CA. Which state will have best schools middle and high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 11:12 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,499,398 times
Where in NJ; where in CA?

You didn't give us much to go on.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:24 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,142,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Where in NJ; where in CA?

You didn't give us much to go on.
She posted it in the LA section, so LA must be a possibility.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:47 AM

I have two offers one is in NJ around Bridgewater NJ area and another one is in CA around Glendale area. I need to decide which one to accept. Where will it be best to raise kids. Both the places salary is around 120k.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:03 PM

I grew up in Northern NJ (bergen county) and had a great childhood. I, personally, would recommend NJ, as I could not imagine raising kids in LA, especially on 120k combined, although hundreds of thousands of people do it every year. I am not familiar with Bridgewater, so you will have to research that area. In many areas of NJ, at least form my experience, you can trust that your kids will get a decent public school education, which is very far from the same here in the LA area. You will most likely need to budget private school tuition in LA. Housing costs in LA are also much higher than in NJ, the last time I was looking to buy property in my home town in NJ, a house similar to mine in LA was nearly 1/2 the cost, in an equally affluent area.

I realize there were lost of generalizations in my post, as were there in yours. We still don't really have much to go on. There are several points needing research here, and we can't possibly touch on every one of them without a significant amount of additional information.

Good luck.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 PM

1200RT thanks for your input. Only thing that is good about Glendale Job offer is weather. I do not know how bad the winter will be in and around Bridgewater area. Most probably we will be looking at housing around Edison area.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:15 PM

That is one thing CA has going for it. Weather trumps about everywhere else in the country.

NJ weather isn't terrible, although its not for everyone (but nearly 45 million people live between boston and washington, so lots of people are fine with it). It snows in the winter, but rarely snows enough to be a major burden. Things normally shut down for a day or so when there is a major snow storm. It definitely gets cold in the winter, though. Summers are warm and humid. It is nice that there are 4 real seasons, though.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:28 PM

1200RT I am also gearing towards NJ since there are many school districts with excellent schools from Elementary to high.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:39 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,142,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
That is one thing CA has going for it. Weather trumps about everywhere else in the country.

NJ weather isn't terrible, although its not for everyone (but nearly 45 million people live between boston and washington, so lots of people are fine with it). It snows in the winter, but rarely snows enough to be a major burden. Things normally shut down for a day or so when there is a major snow storm. It definitely gets cold in the winter, though. Summers are warm and humid. It is nice that there are 4 real seasons, though.
That's true. One librarian at my college was actually from NJ and he said that the weather sucks ass. Even the other West Coast states are too cool or too hot to be athletic like you can out here. You don't have many options to be athletic except indoor things, like basketball, hockey, and whatever else you can do indoors. If you're not an athletic person, it doesn't matter much, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: