Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 04:29 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Houston is more sexed up than in LA, because Houston I hate to admit is a much more sleazy town at night. During the day it's a conservative society but at night it's like a drunken housewife out on the town with her friends.

Yes, a lot of women in Texas and the midwest, would prefer a hot looking rugged guy but in these areas they do not exist in droves. The guy that gets anything he wants in these areas is tall, 6'0 and up, Caucasian, average looking, not fat but not toned, and extremely boisterous. That's what a lot of women are accustomed to, and if you're into looks, fashion and can rock an outfit and actually LOOK GOOD, you will not be taken seriously by the opposite sex. They will think you're gay or not a man.

FACT.

In LA though, I have to deal with the opposite. If you're not sporting a sleeve tattoo, wear my car/house keys on my belt loop, rocking skinny jeans, a fedora hat and aviators, then the same thing happens. There are also a lot of pretty boys that you have to talk to for a while to make out if they're gay or straight. You just cannot tell.

It's just what a lot of the girls are accustomed to here. I would assume that if someone were a douchey midwestern/Texas guy that brought that heartland attitude with him, girls wouldn't even give him the time of day and actually find him ugly.
Where are you, Silverlake? If you go to any bar in the westside or sfv your metrosexual fashion doesn't cut it. Frat boy types - maybe not exact replicas of the midwest but still leaning that direction - are what many girls want.

I've seen girls go after skinny jeans and tattoos and fedoras but it's the minority for sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 04:29 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Fashion is still seen as something only gays should be concerned with, agreed. The whole "metrosexual" wave was a step in the right direction but it didn't last long.

Although, "hipster" style has become fairly mainstream and that hasn't really been equated with gay. The midwest hipster is generally sort of an Abercrombie/American eagle style hipster, lol. Not many real hipsters.
Hhmm, I never really thought about that style as being "hipster",

when I think of hipsters in the midwest (and elsewhere including California) I think of Beatles haircut, thick rimmed glasses, skinny jeans, in some cases more edgy as you described, brightly dyed hair, lots of tattoos, etc.

I do know what you mean, Abercrombie/American Eagle was especially popular when I was in college 10-15 years ago. Funny thing is, it seemed like in High School and College trendiness was important, but after college, it seemed like everybody immediately decided that all those styles looked stupid and quickly started to dress like 40-somethings. (I am referring to the midwest here).

Old 08-11-2012, 04:34 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Houston is more sexed up than in LA, because Houston I hate to admit is a much more sleazy town at night. During the day it's a conservative society but at night it's like a drunken housewife out on the town with her friends.

Yes, a lot of women in Texas and the midwest, would prefer a hot looking rugged guy but in these areas they do not exist in droves. The guy that gets anything he wants in these areas is tall, 6'0 and up, Caucasian, average looking, not fat but not toned, and extremely boisterous. That's what a lot of women are accustomed to, and if you're into looks, fashion and can rock an outfit and actually LOOK GOOD, you will not be taken seriously by the opposite sex. They will think you're gay or not a man.
May Houston (and the south in general) is like that because of the repression of the evangelical influence?? In LA people don't have that repression, and maybe therefore don't feel like that have to go out all crazy???

I will say that Dallas is known for being fashion conscious even among men, but it may only be within certain social circles.

At least, the time I have been to Texas cities, I think you have a real mix of very "Texas" stereotype all the way to California stereotypes.

I wouldn't be opposed to moving to one of the major metro areas in Texas at some time later in life, but the heat would get to me, as well as the lack of geographic diversity. (Texas actually has geographic diversity, but you have to drive for hours to get a sense of it.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:40 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times
Quote:
May Houston (and the south in general) is like that because of the repression of the evangelical influence?? In LA people don't have that repression, and maybe therefore don't feel like that have to go out all crazy???
Of course. Growing up in small town Texas you see the contradictions in what people spout and the action in their lives. Houston is one sleazy city though. I think the guy who runs the "The Dirty" social blogging site said that Houston was the "dirtiest" city he's ever been to.

He didn't mean trash in the streets but that Houston was the sleaziest town he's ever stepped foot in. It can get Bourbon St. in some areas.

LA is pretty laid back by comparison. It reminds more of Austin,TX.

Yes, Dallas is a wannabe yankee city. It's very flashy.

Houston is on the upswing with a lousy daytime life but a rocking explosive nightlife.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:47 PM

23,536 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Another observation about LA dating. A male has to have the right attitude also to succeed with the females. A cool, confident attitude along with the right dress and appearance (e.g. - especially a nice car, such as a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche) will succeed. There's a superficial pretentiousness that many look for in LA and it's due to the Hollywood culture and influence.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Another observation about LA dating. A male has to have the right attitude also to succeed with the females. A cool, confident attitude along with the right dress and appearance (e.g. - especially a nice car, such as a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche) will succeed. There's a superficial pretentiousness that many look for in LA and it's due to the Hollywood culture and influence.
West LA.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:58 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,337 times
Quote:
Of course. Growing up in small town Texas you see the contradictions in what people spout and the action in their lives. Houston is one sleazy city though. I think the guy who runs the "The Dirty" social blogging site said that Houston was the "dirtiest" city he's ever been to.

He didn't mean trash in the streets but that Houston was the sleaziest town he's ever stepped foot in. It can get Bourbon St. in some areas.

LA is pretty laid back by comparison. It reminds more of Austin,TX.

Yes, Dallas is a wannabe yankee city. It's very flashy.

Houston is on the upswing with a lousy daytime life but a rocking explosive nightlife.
Even with this sleaziness, there's still a certain masculinity in Texas cities that cannot be matched elsewhere.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Even with this sleaziness, there's still a certain masculinity in Texas cities that cannot be matched elsewhere.
I think the fact that men in Texas are overly masculine, bordering on machismo, and the women accustomed to that, makes for a sleazy town.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:42 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,337 times
I think overall...most men are simple when it comes to style. Most big cities in the US that is. It's just that in LA...you can be as into fashion as you want and no one thinks it's strange.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I think overall...most men are simple when it comes to style. Most big cities in the US that is. It's just that in LA...you can be as into fashion as you want and no one thinks it's strange.
Not only that but you can be fashionably casual, which is I love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles