Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 04:40 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,603,055 times

Advertisements

I like to travel everywhere in LA, but I have decided to just stay in Central LA, the Valley and DTLA. I haven't gone East 'cus I just don't know where to go or what's good out there.

The West Side just rubbed me the wrong way; from the gawking older couples in Beverly Hills to the vapid conservations I've had with transplants trying to break into the industry. There has just not been one redeeming quality about the Westside besides the beach.

Is Melrose on the westside? I liked that area. As well as WeHo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 04:51 PM

184 posts, read 352,008 times
Melrose is more Hollywood/West Hollywood , not really considered part of the westside.

WeHo is nice , most likely because it's it's own city . You can tell the difference between WeHo and Hollywood...WeHo is much cleaner. Even though they have a lot of people going there to party etc , they actually clean it and keep it up. Rents are also quite high because of this.

I can see that about the Westside..it's a bit more uptight/snobby and the transplants trying to force their way into film biz is annoying as hell!

Old 08-14-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
it's a bit more uptight/snobby and the transplants trying to force their way into film biz is annoying as hell
yeah they act like they know LA but they don't.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:21 PM

LOL...that's funny you say that because I am always saying that. People that have been here a few months and act like they know L.A Kind of frustrating when you were born somewhere. I'd like a little more humbleness in my transplants!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:43 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,085,564 times
nice solid post. i lived in burbank and actually liked hanging out at the bars and the strip in pasadena than going to hollywood and weho to party lol. id work in hollywood though so after work i was ready to head back to some peace and quiet. although, i did have fun out there here and there.

i just enjoyed driving down that 134 strip to pasadena and having a more chilled fun time away from high cost drinks and door covers, and people in the entertainment industry trying to make it. to me, that's what's the LA laid back angeleno native way of life felt like, at least for me

damn i miss LA sometimes lol

Old 08-14-2012, 09:53 PM

How's Houston, the coolest city in America?

Old 08-14-2012, 11:45 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,085,564 times
haha right... saw the article and was like "wow, i must be cool since ive lived in 2 of the top 3 coolest cities for" its cool tho.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:05 AM

Houston is on the upswing so you're enjoying the best it's ever been, while I'm enjoying the worst LA has ever been.

Stick to the inner loop bro

Old 08-15-2012, 11:00 AM

10,084 posts, read 15,774,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Houston is on the upswing so you're enjoying the best it's ever been, while I'm enjoying the worst LA has ever been.
You were here in the three years that contained a massive urban war / riot and then one of the most destructive earthquakes in modern history?

When Hollywood and South Central were ground zero for crack and prostitution? When the smog was actually as bad as people think it is? When the downtown was a bombed out, abandoned place that was exclusively used by two groups - the wealthy Westside executives to drive-park-work-leave, and homeless people to set up a massive camp that took up nearly half of downtown?

The problem with this era of LA is that it was portrayed as being like BH 90210, Melrose Place, etc. It seemed like an idyllic place if you watched on TV, but in reality the dark underbelly was significantly more influential and far-reaching.

For a transplant, you seem to have a grasp of the city better than most, but I think you need to brush up on your history. I am a transplant too (though lived in Southern/Central CA most of my life), but I can tell that there is no way this is a low point in LA's history.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:39 AM

Yeah that's true it might not be the worst time depending on what factors you are looking at. Also you are right DOWNTOWN has improved a lot...but other parts of the city like the valley have really gone downhill , and the valley is a huge part of the city where a lot of people live. Hollywood where you live and where I used to live is probably better in ways than it used to be as far as crime, drugs,etc. The thing is it seems our city officals only care about Hollywood and touristy parts of the city...and for what it's worth most of Hollywood itself is still pretty crappy rundown and dirty.

Also cost of living and rent has gone WAY up as well, people are paying the highest rents ever during this recession for a city offering less and less services, and VERY high unemployment rates.

Also there is still a lot of prostitution in Hollywood....but there is a TON of prostitution in the Valley because the city doesn't care as much about this part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles