Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 05:02 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,613,052 times

Advertisements

Let's list all the myths that LA is known for. This thread should def. be taken over by the transplants.

I'll start it off.

1.) LA is "mean" or "rude". I have found the people of LA to be some of the nicest in the country.

2.) LA is all about glamour. This is not even close to the truth. Outside of certain areas of West LA, LA is probably the most laid back, beautiful but not glamorous city I have ever been to.

3.) Gangbangers in LA are scarier than in the films. This is may sound out of place, but I had to throw it in. The movies DO NOT portray what gang members really look like and they look much scarier in real life. My god, I saw one with a giant 18 tattoo on his neck, and he looked like someone not be messed with. Usually they're portrayed in the movies as bald headed regular Mexican guys with baggy clothes, but in real life they're tatted from head to toe, look like they just had the roughest life possible and menacing as hell look.

4.) LA is fancy Again outside of West LA, LA is really a recycled city that didn't let the economic hardship destroy it. I am always impressed with how Angelenos manage to make the most of their older neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 05:32 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,285,015 times
There are mean and rude people in LA. There also are nice and polite people in LA.

There are parts of LA that are very "glamorous" and parts that are not.

Some gangbangers look like ones in some films, some don't.

There are parts of LA that are "fancy" and parts that are not.

So your list of myths are partially true, as is your debunking them.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:36 PM

23,390 posts, read 23,808,338 times
I think that the maddening traffic jams in LA turn nice people in LA into mean ones.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
There are mean and rude people in LA. There also are nice and polite people in LA.

There are parts of LA that are very "glamorous" and parts that are not.

Some gangbangers look like ones in some films, some don't.

There are parts of LA that are "fancy" and parts that are not.

So your list of myths are partially true, as is your debunking them.
Essentially there is nothing unique about LA? There are mean and nice people everywhere.

There are fancy parts and dirty parts in any city.

Apparently, I did not know this. Apparently, LA is just like every other city I've visited.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:31 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,051,644 times
Often I meet native Southern Californians who say the reputation is that everyone in SoCal is rude, and they believe it. But compared with somewhere like Chicago, people are generally pretty nice and outgoing without being nosy. Compared to the Bay Area they're definitely warmer but not as polite and formal as Bay Area people tend to be. In Long Beach especially people are pretty outgoing if you're just waiting in the checkout line, maybe in LA proper they are a bit more withholding because it's more of "the big city." People here really don't enunciate when they talk though, they really mumble a lot or talk quietly which I think makes them seem shy or not very outgoing.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:39 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,145,993 times
I'm a little surprised these haven't been pointed out yet?

Not everyone in LA is a celebrity. Nor do we see celebrities at markets and restaurants. Yes, it does happen if you live in the Hollywood area, but more of the population than not are not celebrities.

Similarly, people think that all that junk on TV is real. We don't usually use such terms or go to such places.

And this one is no longer really relevant, but not everyone is white.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:52 PM

Also, I am surprised with how relevancy Hollywood has on people's lives in LA. I meet people who barely even watch tv or know some of the big names on screen.

LA folk are some of the nicest, down to earth just living their lives day by day kind of people. West LA is another story and almost a different town all on their own.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,531,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Also, I am surprised with how relevancy Hollywood has on people's lives in LA. I meet people who barely even watch tv or know some of the big names on screen.

LA folk are some of the nicest, down to earth just living their lives day by day kind of people. West LA is another story and almost a different town all on their own.
People are more down to earth and real when you go east. I just hope northeast L.A. stays more down to earth and real. Los Feliz and Silver Lake have become practically bastions of the West Side that happen to be located in Central L.A., and with large parts of the northeast set to meet the same fate I'd hope the down to earth unpretentious vibe remains.

BTW, for someone who's not native I think you understand L.A. very well.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:59 AM

810 posts, read 1,339,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post

That's one of the powerful things about LA, you know how relevant it is. While other cities are literally society sustaining itself...LA reaches every corner of the world in a way everyone can relate to.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:39 AM

35 posts, read 96,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I think that the maddening traffic jams in LA turn nice people in LA into mean ones.
I usually start off the day nice and friendly. Somewhere around the two hours stuck in traffic mark, I turn into the mean LA person.

Works the same way as the week goes. Usually much nicer Monday morning than Friday afternoon.

LA is a big place, there are all sort of folks. But there is a tolerance threshold that gets exceeded when one deals with all those people.

Nice or mean, it just depends on when you catch people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles