Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:22 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bophisto View Post
Yeah Art Deco is nice, although it wasn't started in L.A . I agree about the dingbat apartments..they are a real eyesore ,especially considering so many are rundown. If L.A did not have rent control I bet the city would look a lot nicer. Landlords do not put money into their buildings because they know they can't gain more in rent. Pretty sad.
I think a lot of those buildings are not subject to rent control - most anything built after 1978 is exempt. http://www.caltenantlaw.com/LARSO.htm

I love the rent control in my unit but I agree it has many negative consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 12:37 PM

184 posts, read 353,543 times
Yeah that's true about after 1978...but I believe a lot of these buildings were built prior to 1978.

Yeah I understand for the renters point of view that it's nice to have rent control, but it would be nice to have more of a mix of incomes in areas...I think rent control tends to help in creating bad areas sometimes...Maybe if they had something where a landlord could somehow get out of rent control if they really significantly improved the building...that'll prob never happen though..

Old 08-15-2012, 01:30 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,016 times
I like the geography of Los Angeles County. I like that the mountains are tall enough to get snow. I like there are numerous hilly areas next to large flat valleys. I like the ocean surrounds the county on 2 sides. I like that it gets sunshine most of the year with mild pleasant weather throughout with just a few weeks of extreme heat and cold. I like how it isn't extremely humid like other parts of the country.

I like that LA has many things to do and see in sports, visual entertainment, music, art, outdoor activities, etc.

I like that LA is diverse in its people and their culture, religion, foods, politics, and personality (one or multiple).

These are the things I like most aobut LA.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:14 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Art Deco. So much better than the dingbat apartments we have scattered around. All these front lawns and big trees really necessary? It blocks out the architecture.
Well, big trees do provide shade. And that does help on a warm-to-hot day.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:55 PM

484 posts, read 871,722 times
I like LA because it's my home. And it's my family's home. And despite some of its flaws, LA is where my heart is. Plus everything else you guys have mentioned

Old 08-15-2012, 08:38 PM

27 posts, read 49,970 times
1)Because I can have a single family home with a backyard, a pool and a garage in the heart of a big city.
2)Ocean Ave and SM Beach right at 30 seconds of my door
3)THE MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL: L.A. Weather beats out the crap of the typical canadian winters

Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Art Deco. So much better than the dingbat apartments we have scattered around. All these front lawns and big trees really necessary? It blocks out the architecture.
Plants in a city give quality of life in a big city. Seeing palm trees and other subtropical landscaping with hummingbirds flying around, etc. make one smile.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:08 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Plants in a city give quality of life in a big city. Seeing palm trees and other subtropical landscaping with hummingbirds flying around, etc. make one smile.
True, I'll give you that. And the guy who said shade.

But do we need big lawns in apartments? If anything I just think LA has some of the weirdest looking apartments I've seen. Maybe because some look more like huge mansions than apartments. Not to mention being short.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:07 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
The weather
The weather
The weather
Great sailing
No BUGS, I haven't seen a mosquito in 35 years
Just about anything you want to do is here
Interesting mix of people

Old 08-17-2012, 09:44 PM

151 posts, read 299,322 times
The concert scene here is phenomenal, big venues, intimate venues, big headliners at intimate venues. Surprise celebrities at the comedy clubs and skiing - did I mention Los Angeles has the best powder this side of the continental divide! Alright- no skiing. But, Mammoth Mountain in the High Sierras is only 6 hours if you need a quality ski fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles