Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:51 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
You have to remember about the rest of the country (and why so many want to live in LA),

-A lot of states have bugs, weather problems, tornados, freezing winters, stuff you can't even imagine here. I wonder what percent of the country has to put on bug spray, vs LA.

-Many states are far less educated and there's less internal growth. If a factory goes out in Ohio or Pennsylvania, the whole town can be gone. 60-70% of the economic output is derived from only a few things. Then shops, businesses close, and you're on a downward spiral.

LA seems far better to be able to rejuvenate. Look at the growth just after the Northridge earthquake.

If LA is so bad, why does it keep attracting so many immigrants? It's funny how people with worst english skills than natives always want to move here.

Look how the LAPD has cleaned up since Rodney King. Where else in the country has that happened? Crime, police, politics go in cycles. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

The whole buying a home thing was distorted through politics and a big real estate bubble. Politicans got carried away with..."buy a home, buy a home". And the lending got stupid. You have to look at renting similar to other places...like nyc or san francisco.

-How often do you hear about defense contracts or aerospace anymore in LA? It seems like its shifted a lot towards media, technology, and other white collar professions. I bet in 20 years, people will still be saying the same things about LA.
Awesome post!

I am amazed that despite LA being one of the few major cities that experienced a major race riot in the last 25 years, it is amazing the physical shape of LAs notorious ghettos. Coming from the midwest, seeing large areas of South Chicago or Detroit that look like Baghdad/Kabul/Beirut it is amazing how resilient LA is.

I have spoken with people, being the 20th anniversary of the riots, I have heard people say that the one long term positive outcome of the riots, is that it really forced some major reform. And look at LA today, its one of the safer major cities in the country. Especially the police department (Racial tensions, and crime no doubt social problems that are interlinked).

LA does have one of the most diversified economies, despite state policies that are not the best for businesses. Media has been around obviously for 90 years. Orange County does have quite a major tech startup sector. Not quite Silicon Valley obviously but still impressive. And even though aerospace/defense is not quite what it used to be, companies like Northrop Grumman still have a HUGE presence, despite the headquarters moved. I spoke with a NG engineer, and he said, that most people did NOT want to move out of California when they moved the headquarters to the DC area. Many engineers, etc. insisted on staying put. The port is still one of the largest in North America. Being on the Pac-Rim, is Californias advantage, and taxes aren't going to change the logistics. (although the widening of the Panama Canal might given Houstons port a boost at the expense of LA).

There is an advantage of LAs multicentered nature, considering earthquakes. In fact, one of the many reasons why LA ( in addition to other things, like the fact that movie studios and airplane factories needed LOTS of land) became spread out. Its NOT because of cars, LA became sprawling and multicentering growing WITH the Pacific Electric.

People forget sometimes, that the states that have weathered the recession the best, have weathered for a very specific reason. Those states where real estate BOOMED also, BUSTED as hard. Why? States the BOOM with real estate are those that people actually want to move to. North Dakota weathered the recession, because of lots of oil with few people, and the fact that it did not boom, becore 2008, because NO ONE WANTS TO LIVE where winter temps get to 30 below.

I go hiking every weekend since I moved here eight months ago, and never once even thought about bug spray. During midwestern summers it is an absolute necessity if you go out into the woods. And DEET really is bad for you.

The reason why immigrants don't pay attention to what states neocons prefer, is because they are moving to fill business niches that they see opportunity in, not because they are want a house with a three car garage on an acre of turf grass.

Anyways, excellent post, thought I would just add on some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 09:43 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
I don't know. I've lived in LA all my life and I find myself loving it more and more as days go by. This city literally has everything and then some. I haven't even been able to experience everything yet. I also see so much development going on almost everywhere. Best days behind it? I see the best days ahead of us. The future looks pretty bright and exctiting. Is LA perfect? No. No city is, but I definitely can't see myself ever leaving.
It's great that you love it so much but I don't think the last line is really accurate. People say the same even about rural towns in Arkansas, Texas, whatever.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:51 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Eh, a lot of the 90s were pretty terrible with plenty of traffic, some pretty bad smog (though somewhat better than the decade before), a huge earthquake, giant riots, and some fairly economically lean years.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:58 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
In terms of development, LA's best days are ahead.
Exile the anti-density, anti-development neighborhood Nimby's and let those cranes rise to the skies! And allow those best days to return to L.A.!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:05 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Exile the anti-density, anti-development neighborhood Nimby's and let those cranes rise to the skies! And allow those best days to return to L.A.!
Hell yeah.

And to those getting the wrong idea. LA will not be NYC. I hope it will not be manhattenized in terms of culture and become sterile. Architecturally, I hope atleast spots like DTown and Hollywood will become huge dense hubs. Hell even glendale. They will never be NYC, that's not the aim. Just rival it in architecture.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:32 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
It's great that you love it so much but I don't think the last line is really accurate. People say the same even about rural towns in Arkansas, Texas, whatever.
That's your opinion. Mine is different. I've seen all of the projects and development in this city with my own eyes. If a city's best days are really behind it, there wouldn't be so many projects and investment. I like where the city is going and the expo line is awesome.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:10 AM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Questions like this one are very subjective indeed but furthermore, logically cannot be answered accurately unless you can see the future or have a truly functional crystal ball or a time machine.

Without knowing how LA or any place will turn out, how can anyone answer this type of a question? You can only reference what you know, seen, experienced, future has not yet come to pass.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:33 PM

396 posts, read 906,346 times
This is such nonsense. Los Angeles is putting together a world class mass transit system. Subways, light rails combined with rapid bus service makes the city more modern and livable than it used to be.

Imagine how awesome it'll be when the Expo goes to the Beach? When the purple line is expanded west?

LA has a great future ahead of it.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:52 PM

151 posts, read 299,344 times
I just finished a month long journey in my truck through: Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Texas as far as Dallas because the cost of housing is so much less in all of these states. I returned to the city of angels , where I was born, and I'm going to stay at least another five years.

If you are looking for an alternative, I would recommend Austin, TX. Still you must be careful buying property in Dallas Houston Austin areas because the soil is expansive. Still if you have wanderlust and you dont want a culture shock from a progressive vibrant Los Angeles culture to something less, you cant go wrong with Austin. They are the heart of Texas, imo.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:07 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
This is such nonsense. Los Angeles is putting together a world class mass transit system. Subways, light rails combined with rapid bus service makes the city more modern and livable than it used to be.

Imagine how awesome it'll be when the Expo goes to the Beach? When the purple line is expanded west?

LA has a great future ahead of it.
It does but damn, it's really gonna take a long time..

I sometimes feel bad for saying this. It's a little blasphemous, but sometimes I wish I was from NYC. But then I'd wish I was from LA..

Never satisfied..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles