Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:38 PM

23 posts, read 91,039 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Huntington Beach and will be taking a new job in the Hollywood area. I love the place I live now, but the commute will be too long so I think I will have to move. I'm not at all familiar with the LA area, so I was hoping to get some advice on where to start looking for places to live. If possible, I would like to find something similar to where I live now ($2300 for a 2 BR/2.5 BA townhome with a 5 minute walk to the beach, garage, W/D in unit). I'm willing to go up in price but prefer to keep it around $2500 for a 2 BR. Is there a beach city that will have a reasonable commute to Hollywood (less than 1 hour)? I have looked briefly at Santa Monica but it seems that everything is much more expensive than what I'm paying now--is LA more expensive than Orange County? I prefer not to be too far inland if possible and am willing to have a slightly longer commute in order to live near the beach.

One more thing: I am in my early 30's and am a single female, so I am looking for a safe neighborhood and don't need to be in the center of entertainment/bars, but also don't want to be out in the suburbs where it will be hard to meet people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:00 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
The closest beach to Hollywood is Santa Monica and that's not an easy commute. Easily 45 minutes to an hour, could even be more. You may get a 2br in Santa Monica for 2500 but overall it's going to be pricier than where you are now. If you're okay with the commute, consider Santa Monica. If you don't want such a long commute consider areas like Westwood or West Hollywood...

Old 08-15-2012, 03:26 AM

79 posts, read 178,951 times
North Hollywood, maybe? It's only a few metro stops away from Hollywood.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:02 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
you won't find what you have in LA for $2500. you'll either need to downsize or look inland. LA is definitely more expensive than OC.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:52 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
work it out with your boss so you can come in at non rush hour, like after 10 AM. From HB to downtown LA at that hour is just 20 minutes...that is until you pass downtown and hit the Hollywood freeway to Hollywood, then it's a different matter entirely

Old 08-15-2012, 02:15 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
work it out with your boss so you can come in at non rush hour, like after 10 AM. From HB to downtown LA at that hour is just 20 minutes...that is until you pass downtown and hit the Hollywood freeway to Hollywood, then it's a different matter entirely
wtf????????

the coastal area of HB to the 405 is nearly a 20 minute drive, let alone the freeway driving to LA. even with zero congestion, hollywood is at least an hour from HB.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,283 times
Default Eastern side of Hollywood

If I recall, the Eastern part of Hollywood (which is also called west hollywood) around the Santa Monica exit (101 fwy) and Melrose area on western, Normandie and anything further east is cheap and affordable for just about anyone. One thing though, that area is not considered the safest and is infested with Latino and Armenian gangs.
I know this because I lived in that area once and saw a lot of things happening. Also, If you go up Santa Monica blvd, there are night walkers searching for the nearest dollar to hop on for a ride while their cumbersome secrets are hidden to reflect the obvious. Be forewarned that unless that is your cup of tea, stay away from Santa Monica Blvd and move on to the Sunset that exposes the naked truth and the real beauty within.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:50 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
^The eastern part of Hollywood is called East Hollywood. I think you made a typo. West Hollywood is, of course, west of hollywood and its own city.

Santa Monica blvd east of La Brea and Sunset blvd east of Gower is pretty sketchy. Lot of drifters, homeless, and tranny prostitutes on SMB east of La brea.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:12 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,974 times
West Hollywood... I wouldn't look for anything near the beach;way too far. West Hollywood is hip and trendy... the residential streets can be nice and peaceful depending on the street you choose.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:36 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times
I wouldn't mind living in "sketchy" Hollywood. It's not that bad, especially on Highland. I found a couple of nice spots.

NoHo Arts if you can afford it. Studio City or Universal will put you a couple of miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles