Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,528 times

Advertisements

I have always felt like since I have started living in this city that actors and actresses are treated differently by locals. It seems like locals don't freak out when they see one (even a big star), or when the meet someone who is an actor, they are thoroughly unimpressed. Any one else see it that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
...I wouldn't say "unimpressed", we're just not Star-Struck like people in most other places are.

I saw Steven Spielberg in Santa Monica a couple of months ago. Nice guy! Very talented! Makes great movies! Do I wish I had his wealth? Yeah!...But the reality is that he's no more valuable than a surgical nurse at UCLA Medical Center or a gardner in the Valley who toils away under the hot California sun.

In the end, Mr. Spielberg, the surgical nurse, the gardener and myself are all just Angelenos enjoying our great city and its environs.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:38 AM

126 posts, read 219,331 times
I for one treat any actor I come in contact with as if I have no idea who he or she is. For example I was at the mall the other day, and right next to my wife and I was an actress from a television show. She was in line just like us buying ice cream. No big deal.

I was also at the Sherman Oaks galleria at the movies and a few seats from me was another television actor relaxing back with his girl watching the movie.

And last but not least, my family and I went to the Getty museum and in the same tram as us was one of the actors from the t.v. show House. He was with his wife and young son. They just wanted to have a nice family outing as my family. People reconized him but everyone in the tram kept to themselves. I'm pretty sure he was pleasantly surprised.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:44 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
with total indifference, and i've met a lot of them. the only person i was slightly starstruck by was larry david

Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 AM

497 posts, read 1,503,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
with total indifference, and i've met a lot of them. the only person i was slightly starstruck by was larry david

Hahaha. Was he dressed like he does on his show? He must have liked that.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:00 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I have always felt like since I have started living in this city that actors and actresses are treated differently by locals. It seems like locals don't freak out when they see one (even a big star), or when the meet someone who is an actor, they are thoroughly unimpressed. Any one else see it that way?

When I see an actor/actress, my initial thought is wow, they are skinny. Thats about it. I find the entire industry to be overrated by the general public as a whole. Especially these reality tv shows.

Aaron Spelling once said that without Entertainment Television, there would be a huge increase in suicides...I guess that is one of many reasons they validate their work. (I dont agree with his statement btw)

re Spielberg. I have a very special deal with him. I watch all his movies/productions at my home, so my $20.00 doesn't go in his pocket.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:39 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
Hahaha. Was he dressed like he does on his show? He must have liked that.
The show is pretty similar to him apparently, just exaggerated

Old 08-21-2012, 12:44 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,882 times
even B list celebrities get special treatment in LA, look at OJ and Robert Blake. And apparently the three strikes law doesn't apply to Lindsay Lohan because she's had like 17 strikes, and she gets to make a movie about Elizabeth Taylor

Old 08-21-2012, 02:12 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,108 times
I always thought it was hilarious when people say "I don't care at all about celebrities!" and follow it up with "For example, I was at ________ and I saw ________ but, I totally didn't even care! I mean, whatever."

HAH! I see it all. the. time. on these forums.

Seeing/meeting celebs is fun. It's not the end-all-be all (except for when I met Joss Whedon. That kind of was the end-all-be-all for me), but it's fun as hell. You go to a movie starring Parker Posey. Then you're hanging out in a bookstore, and there is Parker Posey standing next to you. It's cool and a fun little kick to the day.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:23 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
I see and have seen quite a few celebrities. No big deal. You see them all over the place. The only difference between them and myself is that they have cooler jobs.

Had a pleasant chat with Morgan Freeman while in line at a grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles