Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:05 PM

450 posts, read 1,406,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeZepeda View Post
I differ in opinion from Coo77...
I am an engineer and can tell you that network does make a difference in this field. I attended CSUN for undergrad and USC for graduate school. After graduating from a state school I was able to beat out both USC and UCLA graduates because of my extensive network with companies like L-3 Communications, Triumph Aero, Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman.

I do however agree that in California right now, even with a good network its hard to find a job. Which is why I am leaving California. The jobs that are here are low paying and combined with heavy taxes, not in my best interest. However, that isnt a school issue.
I agree with you. I think a professional network in the engineering industry and among people at different companies goes a lot farther in engineering than what school you went to. My workplace is full of ex-Boeing, Raytheon, Rockwell, etc.. employees, hired because of the connections they made in the workplace, not the college they attended. Your college degree seems to be more of a check mark in the engineering field. The interviews are often technical and more than "So you went to my college! Great your hired!." Some industries seem to emphasize what school you went to more than others, like law and finance. A professional network in your job field helps in every industry and usually surpasses your college alumni connections in importance. Sometimes though, a bunch of alumni from a college will start a business together and you get start-ups dominated by connections out of college.

But... considering the OP is in architecture, I'm not sure what schools have connections in that field. Cal Poly SLO seems to be the most well known large architecture school, even higher than USC and UCLA in that field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 04:00 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
interesting. I'd love to see what kind of discussion "Cal or Stanford" would produce on the SF sub forum.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:45 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,585 times
Architecture.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Architecture isn't a particularly good field to be in now, regardless of where you go to school. Therea are a lot of unemployed experienced architects.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:27 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,692 times
I wonder how influential a USC or even a UCLA network can be when there is such an abundant supply of Bruins and Trojans in Southern California.

It seems like these sorts of networks only really work when you are going to places outside of the colleges usual catchment area.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 PM

K, rank these schools in terms of academic reputation, recognition and overall opportunities (networking, alumni, career services).

Stanford, USC, Berkeley, UCLA

Which one also has the best international reputation?

Old 08-24-2012, 08:13 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Cal Poly SLO seems to be the most well known large architecture school, even higher than USC and UCLA in that field.
Yeah, Cal Poly SLO is the best in California. OP, if you're looking at Stanford, why? Go to the best architecture school for the best connections, not just the general brand name. Go to Cornell. COL would be cheaper too.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Yeah, Cal Poly SLO is the best in California. OP, if you're looking at Stanford, why? Go to the best architecture school for the best connections, not just the general brand name. Go to Cornell. COL would be cheaper too.
Actually I was just wondering about the best schools in Cali.

Stanford doesn't have an arch school.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:02 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,818 times
actually at this stage in the real estate cycle I'd suggest USC over Sci Arc, and UCLA a distant third. Many architecture firms in the region are downsizing & outsourcing if you haven't noticed. I had a friend who was making $200k+ doing warehouse/urban space loft conversions during the bull market but now is making less than half that on smaller commercial remodel projects. It's tough right now and you need to have a business background & relevant internships to diversify your skills in case you can't land a position at a firm right away. USC's real estate program is top-notch & gives you the tools & contacts to broaden your horizons in a way that Sci Arc or UCLA can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles