Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,676 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm new here and I've scoured the forums, but I haven't really found the answer to my question. My mother and I are currently looking to move to the Santa Clarita area from the San Fernando Valley. We've lived in California for a while so we have an idea of the typical rent range, and are ideally looking for a pet-friendly 2-bedroom for under $1800. We've found 2 or 3 promising options in the Santa Clarita area, but we'd prefer to have as many options as possible. Many people in CD recommend driving around a neighborhood to find "for rent" apartments that may not be posted online. However, because Santa Clarita is a master planned community, it seems like all of the complexes have names and websites and are easy to find online. Would driving around the area really be a fruitful way to find apartments in SC, or is what we see online pretty much what we get?

A couple of other questions:

What types of activities do they have for pets? I know Santa Clarita is generally very pet friendly, but are there dog parks, vets, emergency vets, and things of that nature close by?

Also, what is the dating life like for young adults? I'm not quite in the 20-something category quite yet, but I'm also not a high school student either. I know it's a very family oriented community, but whenever I'm there I also see a number of people in the 18-21 year age range. Are there actually activities and places to meet people around my age (besides Magic Mountain) or is it pretty much just up to chance?

I really appreciate any help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 11:12 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
You're moving to a nice area, plenty of shopping, plenty of restaurants, great for outdoors lovers but it will be very hot in the summers and I hope you have a car. I don't know of any specific pet activities but maybe someone else can answer that for you either here or on the Dog Forum - try posting your question there too. Maybe some young folks will chime in with activities (I'm in the 30-40 age group).

Old 09-13-2012, 03:32 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowphin View Post
Hello, I'm new here and I've scoured the forums, but I haven't really found the answer to my question. My mother and I are currently looking to move to the Santa Clarita area from the San Fernando Valley. We've lived in California for a while so we have an idea of the typical rent range, and are ideally looking for a pet-friendly 2-bedroom for under $1800. We've found 2 or 3 promising options in the Santa Clarita area, but we'd prefer to have as many options as possible. Many people in CD recommend driving around a neighborhood to find "for rent" apartments that may not be posted online. However, because Santa Clarita is a master planned community, it seems like all of the complexes have names and websites and are easy to find online. Would driving around the area really be a fruitful way to find apartments in SC, or is what we see online pretty much what we get?

A couple of other questions:

What types of activities do they have for pets? I know Santa Clarita is generally very pet friendly, but are there dog parks, vets, emergency vets, and things of that nature close by?

Also, what is the dating life like for young adults? I'm not quite in the 20-something category quite yet, but I'm also not a high school student either. I know it's a very family oriented community, but whenever I'm there I also see a number of people in the 18-21 year age range. Are there actually activities and places to meet people around my age (besides Magic Mountain) or is it pretty much just up to chance?

I really appreciate any help. Thanks!
Sorry no one has answered your specific questions. There are a ton of other posts on here regarding Santa Clarita but none that answer your particular interests. Maybe someone will be kind enough to respond with something useful information. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 PM

11 posts, read 21,822 times
We recently moved here and are renting with a dog, so I'll share some thoughts...

First of all, it can be pretty tough to find an apartment here in a complex that allows a dog, especially if the dog is over 35 pounds. Cats and small dogs are easier, but there's usually an extra fee involved, so keep that in mind. We were actually looking to rent a house instead of an apartment, and the options are better there if you have a dog. We pay $1950/month for a 1400 sq ft house with a big yard in a nice part of Canyon Country. If you can stretch your budget to $1900-2000 a month, A LOT of options for renting houses, duplexes, or townshouses open up. The rental market kind of has a hole in it. There are a lot of apartments for rent in the $1400-$1600 range, and then a lot of houses in the $1900 and up range. Not much in the $1600-1800 range. I asked a realtor about it and she said that yes, there's sort of a gap in the local market there.

I have a few friends who live at The Oaks in Canyon Country, including someone who has been there for more than 5 years, and they're all pretty happy. A lot of aerospace people live there, so it's less trouble than a lot of the other complexes (engineers tend not to throw wild parties at 2am).

As for the dating scene, it's not hopeless, but a lot of my friends end up dating in the wider LA scene. Santa Clarita is a family town, so if you're looking for clubbing, etc..., you should go elsewhere. However, we do have a lot of restaurants and a decent number of bars, including some that get a younger clientele.

Good luck!

Old 09-15-2012, 11:43 PM

36 posts, read 112,514 times
Check here Town Center Apartments | Town Center Apartments in Valencia, CA 91355

I lived there before finding my house. They had some of the best rates I could find, were pet friendly, walking distance to paseos, and right in Town Center which has the best night life that you'll find in SCV. Not saying the night life is great, just the best in the area. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles