Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 12:42 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercikaleb View Post
I lived in california for over a year with my son
And yes, its very expensive.
I'm a single divorced mother who was looking for work, and in between
Caring for my sons needs and doing all I needed to do, it was next to impossible.
We rented a room for 500$ a month.

Would I do it again?
Yes.

Los Angeles is set up for the rich (nice areas)
But i'd be happy in a studio apt in Glendale, encino, woodland hills, santa monica, or anywhere in between.
There are ways to live frugally and still enjoy life.
It depends on your standard of living.

The best things in life are free.

Good weather, palm trees, the beach, wide open spaces, and the culture.
There are outdoor free concerts, and free museums such as Getty center in los angeles and
Malibu.
Also just walking along hollywood and sunset is a blast any time of day..

Don't put things off until u can afford it.

Because u may never afford anything.

Go with the flow and try.
Compared to the other cities, LA is expensive. But SF is even more costly and the good parts of NYC are now more expensive than LA. We're pretty much done for because the other places are too expensive compared to CA. $500 a month is actually cheap for LA, I've never seen a studio below $650.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 01:19 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times
San Francisco is a West Coast Boston; elite educated people living in Manhattan style expensive apts. A very intimidating city.

NYC > LA as a far as costs. NYC is extremely expensive.

LA is the only world city that's relatively affordable for a person trying to start off. Sure you can start off in NYC but why start off in a crowded, rude and crude city, living in a sardine box stacked on top with other people, living with six other people in a three bedroom.

I love NYC but LA wins by a landslide.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:11 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
San Francisco is a West Coast Boston; elite educated people living in Manhattan style expensive apts. A very intimidating city.

LA is the only world city that's relatively affordable for a person trying to start off. Sure you can start off in NYC but why start off in a crowded, rude and crude city, living in a sardine box stacked on top with other people, living with six other people in a three bedroom.

I think you're an LA person or a NYC person and never the twain shall meet (probably an exaggeration, but still). SUCH different cities! I love NYC, too. I love visiting. I love the energy. I entertain brief thoughts of moving there whenever I visit. But, I know that ultimately it wouldn't work out.

Born & raised in Boston (mini-NYC) and always felt like a fish out of water until I moved to LA.

I have friends who lived in LA and couldn't wait to get back to Boston or NYC, and I totally get it.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post

Because sometimes people have relatives or jobs there first. If I had it my way though, I think I'd rather go from California to New York 'cause yeah, the reverse doesn't seem as desirable but it still happens.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:53 PM

61 posts, read 290,657 times
I love new york and Los Angeles equally
But I rather live in LA, because of the warm sunny days.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:27 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,214 times
There's more NYC to LA than vice versa seaching the forums.

NYC is the capital of money...LA is the capital of what's cool, and slaps standard American lameness. Be humble, don't dress too cool, don't be flashy, if you're rich, just be simple, etc. Men shouldn't care too much about fashion, only gay men do, etc.

That mantra is preached everywhere besides LA.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:43 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,399 times
I find it worth noting that, even though we have been without an NFL team for what seems like forever, there are PLENTY of winning sport franchises in this town that keep fans interested. I think if we had a perennially crappy NBA team, for example, then yes we would miss football. The Clippers certainly don't belong in that category any longer, and the Lakers always contend. Hell, the Kings, Lakers, Clippers were all crowding Staples Center during their playoffs. UCLA, USC, The Sparks, The Galaxy. I'm not even counting the so-called LA Angels (ugh) who despite their ridiculous extended name, are still a great franchise, albeit in OC.

OH yeah, and Los Angeles Metro produced far more Olympic champions than any other City. Nothing lacking there.

Los Angeles Took Home 4 Times More Olympic Medals Than Any Other U.S. City - Los Angeles - News - The Informer

Old 08-26-2012, 04:52 PM

13,718 posts, read 7,992,868 times
If you're earning $70,000 a year there are plenty of other areas around the country where your money will go much farther.

I like Cal. but personally think the on-going problems within the state will only get worse.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:48 PM

184 posts, read 353,543 times
I feel the same way about the ongoing problems...it seems things will get worse before they get better..and it can take a long time for things to get good.

I agree with the other posters.. you obviously don't have to be a screenwriter, millionaire or make a huge income to live here. People do live on minimum wage..but they are usually doing it by living with family or many roommates.

There are things that you can do for free such as the museums etc...but to really take advantage of what the city offers you do need money.

I think you have to think of why you want to move here.

Personally I am considering moving out of L.A ... I was born and raised here but various issues frustrate me. I feel the city is very poorly run.

Interesting about the poster that mentioned Pittsburgh...I have been reading a ton about pittsburgh and it sounds like a great place to live. I see a lot more opportunity for someone trying to establish themselves in a city like pittsburgh versus L.A The "glamour/celeb" aspect is what attracts people to L.A , or one of the main things that attracts them..but few people become celebs obviously.

If you really have an urge to move here I would visit first. If you move I would live near work because rushhour traffic sucks and really wears down on you after a while.

Since the city is so spread out you have to drive everywhere. Or if you could live/work near a metro rail (subway) station I think that would be smart too.

You asked about CALI in general..but I'm assuming you are thinking of L.A because you mentioned Celebs.

Also only L.A is really associated with celebs for the most part. There are a TON of other areas since CA is a huge state...but most people don't want to move to CA to live in Fresno for example..No knock on Fresno though..

Old 08-26-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bophisto View Post
People do live on minimum wage..but they are usually doing it by living with family or many roommates.
It's possible, but like I read on another bloggers comments, "Minimum wage was not meant to live on." That's also why most people who do that are high school or college kids just trying to get the only work experience they can. Given that the OP knows how to cook and only purchases the cheapest items whenever necessary, he can definitely work it if he doesn't have a car. But as my school counselor mentioned, anybody would still be at a loss if they needed a really active social life because there wouldn't be enough money left over for that. That's why my friends who were in that boat before entering college or dropping out of it worked about two to four of those and that paid off. Alternatively, people join Edison, AT&T, or the city hall which pay you more than twice the minimum wage. I know one guy who bought a house that way but you really have to be prepared to have manners, patience, and whatnot.

It used to be a lot easier to do, but in the past six years or so employers narrowed down their standards and nowadays you're lucky to get that even as a college grad.

But my dad says the chances are you can't keep doing minimum wage jobs like that for decades unless you become a manager. I'm not sure that the OP even wants such work. However, I think that's what most people do when they come to LA unless they have a trust fund or relatives feeding them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles