Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 08:07 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Hey, now!

Seriously though, being a Boston native and having also lived in NYC, I know first-hand that light rail can coexist with affluent/exclusive areas just fine. First and foremost: most commuters will, given the option, choose to spend a buck-fifty or two bucks to get on a train and read a magazine or check their favorite websites for 25 minutes versus sit in traffic getting cut-off and brake-checked for 45... it will cut down on traffic all over LA. Considering that BH is right between Hollywood and the West Side, it's a major tohroughfare, and will see decreased traffic as people breeze on through on the train.

Second, when it comes to the notion of an increase in crime... well, Metro buses already run through here, carrying people from all over the rest of LA through here with little to no drama.

Third, I don't see any harm in people from other parts of LA coming around BH/the Westside, because they already do. No one who works retail in BH lives here, and many of the people who work in WLA live in K-town or beyond because it's pretty pricey out here and difficult to afford if you're working a line job. People come out here to shop, to see movies, to go to restaurants... if anything, it'd be a boon to many local businesses.

I find nothing offensive about the notion of people from East LA or South Central bringing their kids to Rodeo to see the Christmas lights, or go trick or treating on halloween. I'd acutally like to see that happen. People already go through Hancock Park from K-town and Hollywood to see the huge christmas displays that people erect during the holidays with no drama. I think it'd forment a lot more understanding and respect between areas if people actually had more exposure to them.

Fourth, I like the thought of being able to jump on a train to get to DTLA and get loaded at some of the bars around Grand or have a bit too much sake in Little Tokyo without having to pay a $50 cab fare to get home or spend an hour on the bus.

I think that LA certainly should look at cities from Asian and Central/South America at the same time that it looks at European or other North American cities for inspiration as to how to address its futures.

We tend to forget that there are massive, bustling urban centers with millions of people like Rio:

And Buenos Aires:

And Seoul:

... which have seen massive, rapid modernization over the last couple decades. If we place Los Angeles alongside these cities as a modern, dynamic city that is finding itself increasingly having to find innovative ways of upgrading infrastructure to cope with rapid increases in density, I think that we'll realize there are more commonalities than we will see versus cities like London, Paris, or NYC, which have been extremely dense and had the appropriate infrastructure for well over a hundred years.

Curitiba - a major Brazilian city that I'd wager 95% of the US doesn't even know exists - has a unique and excellent bus system that operates much like a median point between buses and trams:

On an average month over the last year, I drive my car about a third as many miles as I ride my bike. I use my bike to go to the store or run most errands in the LA area, and use my car primarily for social trips out to the Valley, South Bay, or take for spirited drives up in the canyons (or, for longer drives to SD, SB, or SF). I prefer to walk around BH where possible, and also prefer to park my car in an area and then walk within a radius of a mile or so if I need to hit multiple places.
Curitiba is a great example of how the lower income can be taken care of. Watched a documentary and read a lot on the city...I always thought American cities could benefit from some of the things they implemented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Great post, brother. I just read this entire thread, and I find it pretty hilarious that taydigga could've ever gotten the impression that you were an elitist kid from OC. You may not be 100% spot on with everything you say, but I'm a fan of your overall perspective and many of your more specific insights. Cheers.
haha, i know right?! That's how I look at him too. Cool cat.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:09 PM

25 posts, read 43,436 times
Lots of driving, lots of traffic, lots of sprawl, mostly Hispanic population, good Mexican food and lots of gangs. Lots of pollution too but good weather, hmmm did I mention the Mexican food and weather?

Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guydude View Post
L.A. has great weather. The city is wonderfully ugly, charmingly so. There are palm trees everywhere. L.A. has some of the best cheap eats in the nation, due to the ethnic vibe of the city, as well as some of the best fine dining. The city is gentrifying, though not like New York, as here you get the farm to table restaurant right next to the 50 year old taco stand. Hamburger stands are revered. Everything is commercial- billboards are everywhere. Street art everywhere. People love to talk about how they wish L.A. had better public transportation as the cruise around in their cars. Lots of expensive cars. People who shouldn't really be driving expensive cars drive them, and the people who actually can afford expensive cars drive a Prius. There is so much great architecture here, but it's hidden on sides streets, and around corners. There's always something to do. L.A. is a city in the middle of nature, ten minutes from downtown you can hike around a mountain range, ten minutes from Santa Monica or Malibu you can visit waterfalls and forests. Most of all, L.A. is a completely unique city- there is nothing else in the world like it.
I've lived in LA for 25 years and I agree which much of what you said, however I estimate your location of reference to be somewhere between Venice and West LA. That is one of the better "pockets" in LA and it is gentrifying because of white flight from the other areas. LA as a city is FAR from gentrifying, the Hispanic population is around 60% and growing for better or worse. LA is also NOT in the middle of nature at all, in fact it is bordered by 40 odd miles of suburban sprawl and then desert, with exception of the San Gabriel Mountains which almost no one in LA even knows exists.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
I've lived in LA for 25 years and I agree which much of what you said, however I estimate your location of reference to be somewhere between Venice and West LA. That is one of the better "pockets" in LA and it is gentrifying because of white flight from the other areas. LA as a city is FAR from gentrifying, the Hispanic population is around 60% and growing for better or worse. LA is also NOT in the middle of nature at all, in fact it is bordered by 40 odd miles of suburban sprawl and then desert, with exception of the San Gabriel Mountains which almost no one in LA even knows exists.
So you're definition of gentrification is reliant upon white people? Interesting. And sorry buddy, LA is gentrifying. Silverlake, Echo Park, Downtown LA, Inglewood, Los Feliz are all neighborhoods that when I moved here in 98' were no where near what they are like now as far as gentrification. Gentrification is more about class than race, although in America they are tied but not all Mexicans are poor. Very telling post...

Old 12-01-2012, 05:45 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
So you're definition of gentrification is reliant upon white people? Interesting. And sorry buddy, LA is gentrifying. Silverlake, Echo Park, Downtown LA, Inglewood, Los Feliz are all neighborhoods that when I moved here in 98' were no where near what they are like now as far as gentrification. Gentrification is more about class than race, although in America they are tied but not all Mexicans are poor. Very telling post...
Well, from a person who believes most Angelenos don't know the San Gabriel Mtns exist - what can you expect???

Old 12-01-2012, 08:18 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
And the Santa Monica Mtns (including Topanga/Temescal/Malibu Creek, Griffith Park, etc.) Thats not desert thats chaparral, huge difference. And continuous beaches, and a rocky cliff peninsula (PV). and the Santa Ana mountains of Orange County. And the open spaces of Ventura county. If someone doesn't know about the San Gabriels and the San Bernardinos don't exist, than pardon my rudeness, but they are an idiot.

LA is a great metro area if you want to explore different natural environments.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:31 PM

193 posts, read 465,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
And the Santa Monica Mtns (including Topanga/Temescal/Malibu Creek, Griffith Park, etc.) Thats not desert thats chaparral, huge difference. And continuous beaches, and a rocky cliff peninsula (PV). and the Santa Ana mountains of Orange County. And the open spaces of Ventura county. If someone doesn't know about the San Gabriels and the San Bernardinos don't exist, than pardon my rudeness, but they are an idiot.

agreed-- not to mention Debs regional park (and lots of Mt Washington in general), kenneth hahn state park, elysian park, the hiking trails in the SFV and the PV peninsula, the ballona wetlands, and the glendale/atwater/sepulveda dam areas of the LA river and I know im missing a lot too

Old 12-02-2012, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
Sorry but that IS the definition these days, gentrification is a PC word meaning white flight and you know it! I find it hilarious that you criticize my definition yet name Silverlake hipster central as an example of gentrification. YES that is gentrification!

If youre still on your PC fascist high horse let me inform you of the fact that I am HISPANIC!

Downtown LA is NOT gentrifying, what area in particular are you referring to maybe Little Tokyo? Inglewood is gentifying? Haha what ok then? Echo Park is ghetto not gentrified at all. These are simply small pockets that you are referring to, every other area in LA and I argue all but maybe one of the areas you mentioned are not gentrifying at all regardless of the definition you want to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Well, from a person who believes most Angelenos don't know the San Gabriel Mtns exist - what can you expect???
That was fancy wording for I can't name one person who has been to or mentioned the San Gabriel mountains in some conversation besides myself in the last 10 years of me living in Los Angeles. Hell I can't even think of anyone who regularly goes camping or hiking, probably because these places we are discussing are hours away with traffic and the fact 90% of Angelenos don't live near these areas. Again it must be a blessing to live in the nice areas you guys are in, Malibu is about a 2 hour drive from me.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

Unfortunately if you plotted all those places on a map I would fall somewhere in the middle and over an hour away from all of those places, but good list and valid point. If we're including beaches as nature then yes I agree we have some good beaches aside from the water pollution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles