Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 02:43 AM

7 posts, read 5,878 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My wife and I are moving to LA to work in Culver city. We are looking for an apartment where we can walk to basic shops/restaurants, commute to culver city is within 30mins...and the rent is $2000 - $2500 for a 2Bed place. Obviously, should be a safe area. Not looking for proximity to night life.
We are not familier with the area at all. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 02:46 AM

896 posts, read 1,168,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakmak99 View Post
Hi All,

My wife and I are moving to LA to work in Culver city. We are looking for an apartment where we can walk to basic shops/restaurants, commute to culver city is within 30mins...and the rent is $2000 - $2500 for a 2Bed place. Obviously, should be a safe area. Not looking for proximity to night life.
We are not familier with the area at all. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Mar Vista or Torrance

Old 08-26-2012, 08:33 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,970,061 times
Why not Culver City?

Old 08-26-2012, 10:11 AM

23,497 posts, read 23,966,110 times
Culver City, Redondo Beach, El Segundo should all be fine.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:58 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,622,893 times
Just live in Culver. It's affordable.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:55 AM

Thanks everyone - this is super helpful! The reason i am a little hesitant on culver city is i have been there only twice and it give a very boring/industrial area impression - it might be just me. Looking at craigslist, it appears for few hundred dollars ($2700) more i can get an apartment in santa monica. Is that recommended or traffic would be brutal?
We stll want to be able to walk to some basic shops/grocery, coffee, and restaurants etc.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:09 PM

611 posts, read 1,598,901 times
Have you looked in to the miracle mile/mid wilshire area? Commute would certainly be doable, walking distance to restaurants, shops, groceries, museums etc and is relatively safe. Santa Monica is doable as well but the commute can be bordering unpleasant.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:05 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,622,893 times
Why commute? The best way to live in LA is work close to where you live. The traffic in LA is just unbearable. It's not as bad as the media makes it out to be but it's still annoying.

You have the opportunity to live the dream in LA. I made it happen for me and the only reason why I am enjoying LA at all is because I had a job lined up before I got here, I researched and made sure I could find an affordable place five mins from work and I made sure I had close to little or no debt.

If you can nail just the first two, then you're already on your way to living a great life in LA. With your salaries and living out in Culver City (one of the last untapped markets in West LA) you two will be having a great time.

I know everyone wants to be near the beach in Santa Monica, take the photos post them on FB, tell their friends they live in SM, yada yada, but it's not worth it. Not even a 15-20 mins commute is worth it.

In LA you can't rush the experience. I came from Texas too, Houston of all places. Leaving a town that's on an upswing for a town that's on a major downswing was tough. All of my co workers complained about not finding a place on the beach they could afford so they rented over expensive apts. in the Valley and now they're commuting ten mins which turns into thirty to work, barely have any cash left after rent eats it all up and complain about how much they want to go back to TX.

They all wanted to show off to their friends and family back home in TX and live the good life right off the plane. That doesn't happen and won't happen unless you're making 200k a year. Even then you're middle classing it.

Best advice: Work your way up to where you want to be in LA.

Patience is a virtue lost on transplants.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:35 PM

@Nightscape: I was not familier with miracle mile - it looks great - kind of what we are looking for ...plus just 3 miles from work, THANKS!

@BarcelonaFan: I agree with everything you said I am definitely looking to be within 7-8 miles to work...my work hrs are flexible (i can work from home etc)...we just want to balance commute, rents...with not landing in a boring area. thanks again!

Old 08-26-2012, 02:30 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,300,668 times
Don't do torrance, stupid idea.

Culver City is more than fine for your requirements and with your budget you can get a super nice 2br.

Santa Monica is not too far from Culver but traffic can make the commute a little annoying (still under 30 min). It's also nicer and more upscale, but your budget may need to be slightly stretched.

Live where you work. Culver City is recently revitalized and while it isn't nightlife central, there are tons of restaurants, grocery stores, and shops walking distance. Live near downtown of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles