Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2006, 02:00 AM

55 posts, read 404,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy29 View Post
People need to stop running away or else we will never overcome the problems of Illegal Immigration
Don't look now, but that's already happened.

Quote:
...Running away just gives Illegal Immigrants and their Supporters more control of this State.
Don't look now, but Antonio's got his sights set on the governorship in 2010, with Fabien Nuñez slated to be the next mayor of LA

Quote:
Even if you run to Maine,sooner or later the Illegal Immigration problem will head your way.
Don't look now, but it's already hitting critical mass all over. Look at the Hazelton, PA story...the place was being overrun by illegals until the mayor and a majority of the city counsel enacted ordinances demanding that renters certify that their tenants are LEGAL residents, as well as employers only hire LEGAL residents. So far, the city ordinances have withstood legal challenges in the Commonwealth courts there. I'm sure the corporate-backed illegal alien industry will want to take it to the Supremes.

Quote:
Americans need to wake up,not run away.
They've already "run away," as any trip to the San Fernando Valley will tell anyone with half a clue. The *******s are also buying homes in record numbers, thinking that the government will never deport them if they own property here.

The worst offender in "laissez-faire" handling of illegals so far: George W. Bush and his toadies in the Republican controlled 109th Congress.

ITEM: Even right wingtard Pat Buchanan agrees that the Democrats will NOT offer an "automatic asylum" deal on the next immigration reform bill. The Dems know that the public is blaming Bush and the "Republipedoes" for the immigration mess, and they're not going to jeopardize their chances for a sweep in 2008 by allowing the wets to just stay here, like RayGun did in '86. Want to really point to where the illegal mess started really festering? Point to RayGun...that senile piece of crap legalized millions of them by co-opting Simpson and Mazzoli, all at the behest of agribusiness and the coffee shop lobby.

Old 11-26-2006, 04:28 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,590,439 times
DesertBoB, if we're trying to get people to open their eyes to a genuine problem, it's better debate if we refrain from edging towards doing a Michael Richards. Don't demonize people, point out any true foibles you perceive, as with your body politic overview which is a good observation that most Americans don't see: both parties have been dead wrong on this issue lately for various, nefarious self-interests. I don't subscribe to political correctness either, but you'll be more convincing without the Mel Gibson.

For instance, I hope I'm correct in recalling that I only posted terms widely accepted by journalists, as with "illegals" as nomenclature, or using a term posited by the parties in question themselves about themselves; i.e., posting my opinion that our locals' fascination with referring to itself as "La Raza" in media fills me with as much horror as did seeing Ku Klux Klan billboards in the 1950's South or seeing their "White Councillor" distributed free to households there as if racism were "normal." Sorry, if you're American, it's not "normal." America worked hard to get past these problems, and it's so distressing to see the deja vu aspect of celebrating La Raza as if it's Deutschland uber alles. Bad idea them, bad idea now.

I've also tried not to be too touchy personally on friendly, information-giving forums such as these. For instance, I'm appalled at people's usage of "Anglo" since it is never a term Americans use for themselves, but I've never jumped on it here and let it go. We're Americans. If you're gonna get all cladistic on me, my epidermis is of Caucasian extraction. So what? I'll never demand all signage be changed into Gaelic.

I've returned to this subject in a few different threads because people outside of L.A. haven't seen our worst case scenario in action.
We have many good, and yes, diverse voices on this forum, and I think it's pertinent when African-Americans, Asian-Americans, everybody else-Americans in L.A. can point out to others how illegals so badly impact the quality of life here for all. Illegals depress wages for all, taking the entry-level jobs that poor Americans are starving for. The lawlessness inherent in illegals' breaking a Federal law to be here pervades the rest of their mindset once here, and they keep breaking laws. And they resent citizens!

Caliguy, I'm tired of being the neighborhood activist helping people who don't care if our nice block or nice city is turned into a slummy, graffiti-vandalized, trash-bestrewn gangland: their lives are maybe a little bit better here because of me, but my life has been made a lot worse by them. I'm tired of having my widely published writing skills considered utterly useless here as it's "only in English." The rest of America beckons. I'm outta here the nanossecond the husband retires. I'm glad I won't be living in future Governor Villaraigosa's ideal of La Raza. (I've read his take on same on his sponsored site for the New Latino Urbanism model for L.A.) Apparently no one else will be welcome.

And newportsmostwanted, it's good for us to point out to folks from elsewhere how even pop culture totems like billboard signage presages truths others are sweeping under the carpet. The latest are the billboards offering a giant "Latinowood" sign above the Hollywood hills. I wonder how its corporate sponsors would take it if it read "Aryanwood" or "Islamwood?"

Old 11-26-2006, 11:21 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,491,119 times
Default Well said, FF!

I agree with you.

DesertBob, I read your post, and although the points you made were valid, the way you said it made me uncomfortable. I don't think using the "W" word for Latino immigrants is a great way to prove the your point. On the contrary, it just makes you look like a white racist who is practically foaming at the mouth.

Can illegals be blamed for everything that's wrong in Southern California? I don't think so. What about our elected officials, who spend their time voting on things like "should we condemn the war in Iraq" instead of dealing with local issues? I'm serious, the L.A. City Council actually did that!

The problems with Southern California and California in general go back many years, and in my opinion, our officials' short-sightedness is one reason why we're in this mess. California's infrastructure (highways, schools, etc.) is so far behind its population! Ten years? Nope. Twenty years? At least, and probably closer to thirty years.

Affordable quality healthcare is an issue that affects all Americans, whether we live in California or Maine. However, I do admit that the problem in L.A. of hospital emergency rooms and trauma centers closing their doors has a lot to do with the illegal immigrants and other poor people using these services.

What about the U.S. corporations that go to other countries and destroy their natural resources, so that the country's people have no other choice but to leave to make some kind of a decent life for themselves? I'm no bleeding heart liberal, trust me, but there's a reason that all these people are coming across our borders. You can't stop illegal immigration until the causes are addressed. If people are desperate (and believe me, they are!), they will try again and again to get here until they succeed or die trying.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:57 AM

Sandyco, I have a college friend who is now a deputy for Mayor Villaraigosa. Back when I would ask him about issues relevant to neighorhood activism, we addressed your very point: longterm short-sghtedness of elected officials failing to fix or even address glaringly obvious problems. I kept bringing up unintended consequences of badly thought out policies as well. He finally admitted that the most they, as government insiders, could hope to accomplish in Los Angeles would something symbolic of the problems, not fixing same. An honest man!

Your post made me ponder something I haven't brought up as well. Do I even want to live around people who think breaking the law is normal because they're desperate and all their friends and family do so as well? This is not indicative of future civic progress or its residents' good character. L.A. is not where I want to grow old as it changes into this.

I think one could address and prevent illegal immigration in this country if its own laws were enforced and American modi operandi were taught (I'm sorry, most of the world is still misogynistic, and we shouldn't tolerate that here: it's a societal absolute, like "no slavery allowed." I wince at this aspect of foreign nationals here.) One would think our government wants America to continue to be a place where people who come here are proud to embrace American laws, ways and its people. Instead that desperation usually translates into them being haters of everybody else who's not of their original home country's extraction.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:24 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,491,119 times
Default Lawbreaking people.

FF, you've brought up a very interesting issue. The truth is that the illegal immigrants who come here aren't going to be the best and the brightest. Those people have no reason to leave, right? There are exceptions, such as if The Taliban takes over a country, and then professional women can't work, etc. But if you're a doctor in your own country, making pretty good money and living a decent life, why would you leave?

I dislike that most of the illegals from places like Mexico are the people who leave their trash in our parks, yell at their families day and night (I have neighbors like this right next door, and the walls are thin. *sigh*), and expect the rest of us to simply put up with it. Again, these aren't the most educated, respected people.

However, trash is trash, and no race or color is exempt from its own trash. I just wish I didn't have to live right next door to it, and you know what the worst part is? These people are the *managers* of my building! All because the owner (who is Iranian) doesn't care in the least. In fact, he'd be thrilled if I moved and would probably help me pack; he'd get at least $400 more per month from the next tenant. It's all about the money, and the landlords don't care as long as their making a profit. (That went off an a tangent, didn't it! Sorry...)

Old 11-27-2006, 08:39 PM

A neighbor who is married to a woman from Mexico told me there is no cultural prohibition against littering and trashing there because trash collection itself is sporadic, hence the problem erupting here.

I am always wondering how unobservant or even obstinate illegals can be when it comes to acclimating to a new area. It doesn't cost anything to put trash in a can. It doesn't cost anything to close your own window when you're screaming at your family or blasting your music. Have they never observed that others here don't do that? The last time I requested a foreign national stop blasting party music with everyone screaming outside at 2 in the morning and to notice that everyone else in our working class neighborhood was trying to sleep, all lights out, they found someone who could speak English who then screamed at me that "I do whatever I want!" I guess they've never observed that everyone on our ultra-friendly (and "diverse") block pretty much despises them for their nonstop rudeness. Why oh why do people move to another country and insist on being as deliberately nasty as possible to everyone there?

Old 11-28-2006, 01:07 PM

346 posts, read 2,135,511 times
It's hard for illegals to observe people doing things differently from their culture when the illegals are surrounding themselves with other illegals and observing the same behavior. They isolate themselves and live with other illegal communities and continue their infuriating and debilitating behaviors with no regard for assimilating whatsoever.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:57 PM

252 posts, read 1,124,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des_Demona View Post
It's hard for illegals to observe people doing things differently from their culture when the illegals are surrounding themselves with other illegals and observing the same behavior. They isolate themselves and live with other illegal communities and continue their infuriating and debilitating behaviors with no regard for assimilating whatsoever.
so true & that community would be most of Metro LA and expanding. They have the nerve of getting angry at me for not speaking Spanish ( happens about every other day).

When you have a growing majority of city inhabitants (notice I didn't say citizens) that are of latin descent and feel entitled to be equal or have even more rights and benefits than legal citizens; and are supported by the mayor & city council, its game over. What you end up with is pockets of wealth that can buy separation and a small buffer zone away from the cesspool that is the city.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:06 PM

346 posts, read 2,135,511 times
Haha try being a waitress at a Denny's. When I was doing that stint in Anaheim (North Orange County) most of the clientele was hispanic and they would just be so mean to me no matter HOW friendly I was to them. I treated them the same way I would any other customer but most were very unfriendly. Many (not all) would speak only in Spanish to me and either pretend to not know english or not know English at all. They would right away demand a Spanish speaking server. Many times they would sneer at me and say nasty things in Spanish which I understood. I would have to get a hispanic server to serve them since I know very little Spanish. They would not tip me or tip me very little whereas when they had hispanic servers they would tip better. The other hispanic servers I worked with were very nice though. They actually took the time to get to know me and I them. I only worked there for about a year but I really hated it.

Don't get me wrong, there were all kinds of unruly patrons of that restaurant like the crazy crack addicted lady (white) who lived in the Motel 6 and would always try to get me to trade her a coffee for one of her Vicodins. I just gave her the coffee.... ah Denny's... not the highlight of my career

Old 11-29-2006, 08:08 PM

8 posts, read 28,547 times
Default Well now...payback is a b***h!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by premed429 View Post
To all who are considering moving to LA:

RUN, dont walk, away !!!

The liberal media has given much coverage to the issue, but it never seems to point out that the illegal immigration problem in LA has caused CONSIDERABLE quality of life issues.

Our freeways/streets are CROWDED and getting worse every day. When the "day without an immigrant" (google it if you dont know what that was) happened, it took only ~15 minutes to drive to work (~20 mile drive) as opposed to the normal 45 min. drive.

If you are not of hispanic origin, I hope you like reverse racism, as it is blatant everywhere. For the most part, these people HATE "the gringos". Hope your little son knows karate, because the children will pick fights with him at school, as these people come from a "machismo" type of culture, and they are taught from day one that "gringos = ****s". In other words, if you don't fight, you aren't a man.

Everyone, everywhere, speaks spanish. There are billboards in spanish, and the corporations/t.v. stations pander to these people.

If you are looking for the "American way of life", please steer clear of Los Angeles and most of Orange county (except for places like Irvine and Laguna Niguel, which haven't bowed (yet) to illegal immigration supporters. The quality of life in Irvine is EXCELLENT !!!).

I have lived here for all of my life, and this city is on a steady downward spiral, for those of us who have grown accustomed to a certain way of life.

They do not assimilate into society, and they bring their own cultures/traditions to Los Angeles, and generally ruin it for everyone else.

Even the surrounding suburbs within 50 miles of Los Angeles, have become overrun by this social problem.

Again, if you are liberal, or if you sympathize with these illegal aliens, ..... then California is the place for you !!
Well, well, well. W***es never cease to amaze me, constantly lamenting about people from various cultures and countries immigrating to the U.S., forgetting that you are here from a long history of ill-gotten means!!! Your people pilfered, stole, raped, killed, abused and gained economic advantage on the backs of many other much harder working, less callous people.

Let's rewind for a little history lesson. Native Americans were here doing their thing, all comfie, cozy and thriving on the land that Mr. Columbus later "DIS-covered" and along comes a bunch of folks who didn't give rats s*** about these Native people, their lives, how hard they'd worked, yada, yada, yada. This new group brought all their diseases from Europe, so what Natives they didn't kill in other ways, they killed off from their contagious diseases. This group didn't assimilate to the Natives' culture any more than the hispanics are assimilating now. They just drove the people away altogether - or just killed them. Sad, sad, sad. Think: Trail of Tears. Fast forward here to the 21st century and you're B*t**ing because a group of foreigners are taking over?!?! WELCOME TO THE PARTY. It never fails, we always reap what we sow. All you can dream of is getting back to an "American way of life" without all the outsiders. YOU ARE ALSO AN "ILLEGAL" IMMIGRANT!!!! Maybe the true natives would like for you too to get the h**l on back to your "home" so they get back to the business.

It ain't terribly fair, but sometimes the sins of the father are visited upon the son. My friend, PAYBACK IS A B****!!!!! Think about it.

(And I ain't even Latino!)

Last edited by jazzpiano72; 11-29-2006 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles