Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 01:45 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenGreene81 View Post
You may even want to look off of Hawthorne Blvd going towards Lawndale. I lived on 66th and Hawthorne Blvd and that area was pretty chill and closer to Torrance and The South Bay Mall.
Yeah, but it's like that in any area. We have places in SGV that are close to Pasadena, close to DT, close to other cities. I do know that one part happens to be located in relatively close proximity to Torrance.

I don't think anyone from a more upscale part of LAC would be satisfied with it though, for example if a San Marino native ended up over there. You moved away so that does say a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 02:05 PM

203 posts, read 577,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
I've taken a new job in El Segundo. The rents over there are out of my price range, not to mention Manhattan Beach. That leaves me with Hawthorne if I want a commute within ten minutes. I see lots of decent studios under $900. I'm focused on one for rent at 134th and Prairie. It's recently remodeled, gated underground parking, gated courtyard building. I've looked at a couple others in the 130's within a block west of Prairie.

Any info anyone can provide is really appreciated! thanks.
Wooow, my best friend lives RIGHT in there. It's the one on 134th, maybe the 2nd or 3rd building, where it's on the South side of 134th, West of Prarie. His was like $750, maybe because of the size.

It's very safe inside of his, but the rest of that neighborhood is a little bit sketchy. Not at all as bad as some other areas I've been to that have apartments, but I wouldn't want to walk at night. Parking can be very hard for guests depending on the day, but the underground parking is good. I usually park on 133rd and have to walk to his spot.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:25 PM

949 posts, read 788,530 times
Maybe I'll live (or die) to regret it, but I applied for a studio in Pacific Gardens. It's at 4900 116th St, a couple blocks west of Inglewood, where the freeways meet. It looks like new homes are being built in the area. Across the street are large four or five bedroom houses. The house across the street had an Audi in the driveway, down the street was parked an Escalade and a BMW. All the homes in the immediate vicinity are well kept. Cars are parked on the street.

The building has off street parking, but I was told sometimes it fills up and I may have to park on the street. One of the tenants said the parking and the building were fine. He was probably just a few years younger than me. One online review posted 2008, said the tenant had returned after living there previously. He vouched for the place, with the exception of the limited parking.

I spend most of my time working (at work or from home) and try to get to the gym (see two LA fitness nearby, one is new), so I really don't care about the restaurants and bars in the area. I mostly just want to minimize commuting time and rent. Commute should be no more than ten minutes in rush hour and rent for this place is $745 + utilities.

I drive a 2007 Yaris with no car alarm. I'm going to get a steering wheel lock (haven't used those since I left DC in 1994). I can't believe anyone would want my car, but I recently read the most frequently stolen vehicle in the US is the 1994 Accord. I could get a tire lock, but am afraid someone might destroy the lock just for spite. Those things render the car virtually unmovable AND untowable. You pretty much have to remove the tire.

Does anyone think I need to go to the extra effort of having a car alarm installed?

Last edited by mitchmiller9; 09-03-2012 at 03:35 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 05:24 PM

331 posts, read 735,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Wow, someone took my response a bit too personally. Trust me man, I've been through SC and I was never as uncomfortable as I was there than back in Hawthorne. Like SGV? Me and my friend in Vegas had this same debate, what's ironic is that her best friend lives in MP which has lots of authentic Chinese food.

Fight all you want, it's a well-known fact that many other cities don't have the same level of food or people. It doesn't bother some, I do have cousins that have lived in rural Illinois or whatever, but since SGV is located not too far from Hawthorne anyway, I wouldn't live in Hawthorne over SGV. Yeah, if you were a transplant who found a job in Hawthorne, well, by all means, take it and live there.

Same with you. Rolling your eyes isn't gonna help, but whatevs.
I think she was trying to get at the fact that the many of the Asian restaurants in South Central or Hawthorne are not very good. I used to live in Hermosa Beach and I would go to San Gabriel or Monterrey Park for Chinese food, or Koreatown for Korean food. I used to eat out with my Chinese friends often when I was based in Hermosa Beach & I don't think we ever went for Chinese food anywhere outside of SGV. You have to go to Artesia or OC to find decent Vietnamese sandwiches if you live in Hawthorne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles