Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:42 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,375 times

Advertisements

x8q1, where are you coming from, literally? Knowing where you're from might help give us a frame of reference for comparisons.

HA's post above very good. I'll say this another way. East of the Westside is what I call the "city" of Los Angeles. It's not the whole area within the city limits, but it's the most urban area. I would say its borders are roughly La Brea Ave. on the west, the Los Angeles River on the east, the I-10 freeway on the south, and the base of the Hollywood Hills (a little north of Sunset Blvd.) on the north. Hollywood, Koreatown, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Downtown Los Angeles, and other neighborhoods fall within that large area.It's roughly 10 miles east to west by 5 miles north-south. Most of the housing in that area is in small, low rise apartments of 2-6 stories. There are neighborhoods of single family houses, and highrise office buildings (and a few highrise apartments) especially in Downtown LA. This area has LA's best transit--mostly buses, but also heavy and light rail. Most residential areas within it have commercial districts you can walk to. Some areas are in good shape, some in not so good shape, though there's a lot of renovation. I think it's a very cool set of places, different from the widespread sea of sprawl that other people have referred to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,885 times
I work on the west side and can't stand it. No way would I live there. I prefer the Los Feliz/Atwater area - I like being near the foothills. Pasadena is great, Sierra Madre, etc... (but that is too far for my commute). Burbank is good - there are some cool parts of Glendale. All have their own personalities and, IMO, are lovely with the hills in the background.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:42 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
I live in the northeast section of the city, and you just won't find this view from the west side.
This was taken one early spring day.
This is what I see when I am out on my rear deck.
I think the northeast is far superior to any other part of this sprawling city.

Bob.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:15 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I live in the northeast section of the city, and you just won't find this view from the west side.
This was taken one early spring day.
This is what I see when I am out on my rear deck.
I like mountainous backdrops too.

The San Gabriel Mountains are stunning, especially in the cooler months.

Try driving up north in one of the eastern foothill cities (Sierra Madre, Monrovia, Azusa, etc.--especially Azusa) if you ever go that way.

You may catch a full view of the hills. It takes your breath away.

Monrovia:

Old 09-11-2012, 09:37 PM

193 posts, read 465,408 times
While we have our preferences, LA's vast geographical diversity in general is one of the major aspects that first made me fall in love with this place. At least those living in Los Feliz, NELA, northern SGV, etc can head out to the ocean and those by the ocean can take an awesome hike farther east (Debs park is ridiculously underrated)

Old 09-11-2012, 11:59 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaemophilusAphrophilus View Post
While we have our preferences, LA's vast geographical diversity in general is one of the major aspects that first made me fall in love with this place. At least those living in Los Feliz, NELA, northern SGV, etc can head out to the ocean and those by the ocean can take an awesome hike farther east (Debs park is ridiculously underrated)

Debs is literally in my back yard.
I have hiked it more times than I can remember.
Great place to get away for some peaceful ,quiet time.
Plenty of little critters up there like fox, rabbit, squirrel, and cyotes.
Love it.

Bob.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 AM

23,532 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Miss the San Gabriel Valley neighborhoods of Pasadena, San Marino, Glendora, Arcadia, Monrovia etc. Lived in Pasadena/South Pasadena and there is definitely a nice character (not to mention the mountain views of snow in the winter months) to these cities.

I recall watching the Rose Bowl game in January, wearing shorts in 70-80 degree weather and sipping a beer, while the rest of the country was having cold weather!

Old 09-12-2012, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,096 times
Moving from Detroit, MI. to North Hollywood area. Have any information about surrounding areas like valley village, studio city? Looking for a great 2br 2bth for a reasonable rate! Thanks!

Old 09-12-2012, 12:13 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
An acquaintance I know takes photographs of his "idea" of east vs west LA.

East of West LA Gallery

I don't think it's all as "rough" as he portrays, but there is a certain grittyness that the "eastside" cities have and to some extent that grit exists in the westside too; especially compared to a suburb, or South Orange county, for example.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:38 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,375 times
The Westside does tend to have better air quality, however. There's not much industry and ocean winds tend to blow all the auto pollution to inland eastside neighborhoods!

I like Pasadena, but it's got a smog problem. My wife and I went there three or four times before she was able to see those lovely San Gabriel Mountains. She was pretty surprised to find out they were there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles