Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 02:13 PM

10 posts, read 14,997 times

Advertisements

One night, I was working alone in a residence in the westside, one of those little rich towns that are actually part of L.A. but have their own names. I sat in front of window and worked my ass off. In the entire first two hour, I could hear quite clearly what the neighbors living across the alley were fighting about. It a man and a woman, who should be a couple, doing a Jerry Springer show in their apartment. After two hours, finally someone banged a door really really hard. The sound of glasses broken also came out. Then there's silence. I was getting afraid because they might have hurt one another. I called 911, and two hours later, the police came.

Two hours?! Two hours is enough to bury somebody! I have lived in other non-American cities where the police will normally shows up in 10 minutes for pretty much any eligible reported incidence. I volunteered in a women's center where some of the ladies were battered at home. This makes me feel the women subject to domestic violence in L.A. are in really bad position. Makes me quite angry after this first-hand experience with the LAPD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,718,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine_girl View Post
One night, I was working alone in a residence in the westside, one of those little rich towns that are actually part of L.A. but have their own names. I sat in front of window and worked my ass off. In the entire first two hour, I could hear quite clearly what the neighbors living across the alley were fighting about. It a man and a woman, who should be a couple, doing a Jerry Springer show in their apartment. After two hours, finally someone banged a door really really hard. The sound of glasses broken also came out. Then there's silence. I was getting afraid because they might have hurt one another. I called 911, and two hours later, the police came.

Two hours?! Two hours is enough to bury somebody! I have lived in other non-American cities where the police will normally shows up in 10 minutes for pretty much any eligible reported incidence. I volunteered in a women's center where some of the ladies were battered at home. This makes me feel the women subject to domestic violence in L.A. are in really bad position. Makes me quite angry after this first-hand experience with the LAPD.
It depends how close you are to a donut shop .

Old 09-17-2012, 02:31 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,501 times
LAPD has set protocols prioritizing calls. If you had said you heard gunshots or saw someone in imminent danger they would've come immediately. But unless you saw someone brandishing a weapon it's more like a private altercation. Policemen aren't family counselors or mediators, nor should we expect them to be.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:39 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,150,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
LAPD has set protocols prioritizing calls. If you had said you heard gunshots or saw someone in imminent danger they would've come immediately. But unless you saw someone brandishing a weapon it's more like a private altercation. Policemen aren't family counselors or mediators, nor should we expect them to be.
Yeah, one time my mom lost control and did the same. They didn't come for nearly 45 minutes, and I thought that was bad! I expected them to have given up, but the cop said they had to "drive back and forth from downtown".

Old 09-17-2012, 02:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Look at the bright side OP: you didn't get music on hold when you called.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:51 PM

10 posts, read 14,997 times
We are paying so much in taxes and we get this quality of a troop? Is it the same in other cosmopolitan cities like London, Paris, Tokyo or Hong Kong? Don’t think so. It wasn’t like I got rear-ended but with my manicure perfectly untouched just waiting outside for the highway patrol outside of a 7-11. That kind of waiting, I can understand. But I heard a loud sound of glasses broken, then silence! Somebody could have killed the entire family and himself in two hours! As a matter of fact, at least in Hong Kong, which is what I'm familiar with, police negligence in domestic violence cases will certainly appear in all major presses as well as somebody’s being penalized, suspended and charged. I am quite disheartened by the LAPD here.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 PM

23,504 posts, read 23,980,674 times
They prioritize based on perceived urgency. I believe "officer down" calls will get an immediate response from all of the units in the city. Other calls, naturally, are of lower priority.

LAPD response times have always known to be long (averaging several minutes) even in high priority situations. The heavy traffic and spread out city geography doesn't help either.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:13 PM

12 posts, read 27,325 times
Honestly there is a reason why the police in Hollywood movies always show up AFTER the main character saves him/herself. It's because it's true! You cannot rely on anyone to get you out of a bad situation but yourself. I was in a wreck and LUCKILY everyone was around 1.paramedics 2. police. They got me out within seconds! I was lucky. Most people wait and wait. It's even worste if you live in a bad neighboorhood. Sometimes they don't show up at all! Budget cuts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles