Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 04:19 AM

810 posts, read 1,342,106 times

Advertisements

Thinking more about the logistics of the actual move now. And it dawned upon how much I could streamline the process having one of these nearby.

The reason I mention stores like walmart/target (yes, I know lots of people hate walmart but that's besides the point) is because at Super walmart or Super target, you can literally buy all the food you'll need (unless you're into that "foodie" thing, which I'm not), a plasma TV, household cleaning supplies, a table, super glue, advil, a flash drive, and a bottle of wine to top it off if you'd like.

All in one visit. I don't like the idea of going to Vons for this, CVS for that, and end up paying more, then having to find an electronics store for basic electronics. Best Buy doesn't seem easy to come across either in LA.

Also, I've never found a place that is across-the-board as cheap as walmart for basic necessities. I need to be on a budget when I get there.

To the people who moved to LA from elsewhere...

Did you ever find it hard to "set up shop" so to say with the lack of these department stores that seem to be oversaturated everywhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 08:11 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
There are lots of Targets, particularly in SFV.

Few Walmarts because LA politicians have opposed them.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:55 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,990 times
There are more Targets than Walmarts for sure. Here is an article talking about the new Target about to open in Downtown LA and how Target was welcomed while Walmart has been shunned.

Development :: blogdowntown

But I agree that in the LA basin there are relatively few Targets given the population density. But that is just it....the LA basin is dense, already built out. Hard to find suitable sites for Target. Now, Target has developed a slightly smaller format to get into more urban districts.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:09 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
The OK thing about living in Los Feliz was that there was Glendale close by. In Atwater/Glendale there was a Best Buy and Target pretty close by. There was also a Target off La Brea and in Eagle Rock.

An Albertsons and Gelsons and CVS were close by also.

I admit that this might be pretty rare for most of the city, but I found it rather convenient.

I'm not a fan of Walmart for many reasons, but I do go there occasionally. Mainly for automobile oil.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
there are targets all over LA, both in the city and the valley. there are a few walmarts in the valley, but locals seem to prefer to not have these in their neighborhood. every time a new location is proposed, there is lots of protesting. i'm reminded of the 'mini' walmart that was scheduled to be built near union station.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Wal-Mart opened a new store in Torrance just last week.
Torrance Wal-Mart store opens - The Daily Breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
To the people who moved to LA from elsewhere...

Did you ever find it hard to "set up shop" so to say with the lack of these department stores that seem to be oversaturated everywhere else?
Actually, I found that it was pretty easy to "set up shop" in L.A. Most communities and cities in L.A. County have a Target, Wal-Mart, Costco, Sam's Club, Best Buy, etc. that's within 10 miles. And, some places, such as Burbank, Carson, Cerritos, Glendale, Hawthorne, Lakewood, Long Beach, and Torrance have most of those stores within 5 miles. For instance, there are 9 Targets, 3 Wal-Marts, 4 Costcos, 2 Sam's Clubs, 5 Best Buys, and one IKEA within a 10 mile radius of Manhattan Beach.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:26 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,529 times
There are at least three Targets, two Walmarts, two Costcos, one K-Mart, and three Home Depots within a 5-mile radius of where I live now. Not to mention literally dozens and dozens of grocery stores.

Back in the early '90s, when I was growing up in Los Feliz/Silverlake, it was like a shopping-desert. There was nothing around except for small stores and a couple supermarkets (namely Lucky on Hillhurst and Vons on Sunset).

Old 09-18-2012, 11:40 AM

341 posts, read 708,491 times
Not many Targets: Good. Not many Walmarts: Priceless. We're better off w/o that walmart mentality. The mindless suburban drones of middle America and the south can keep them. It's more than a one stop shop, it's a way of life for many and can become 'trap' or vortex, if you will, for lots of good ppl out there.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:51 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,740 times
Target & Walmart are generally take up a sizeable amount of real estate, especially when parking is factored.

Real estate is expensive in LA and traffic is heavy here. There are better/more cost effective options for the
land a walmart or target would occupy.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:03 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico View Post
Not many Targets: Good. Not many Walmarts: Priceless. We're better off w/o that walmart mentality. The mindless suburban drones of middle America and the south can keep them. It's more than a one stop shop, it's a way of life for many and can become 'trap' or vortex, if you will, for lots of good ppl out there.
Yes, its so much better to waste time and gas driving to 5 different stores, finding parking 5 times, waiting in 5 checkout lines, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles