Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 06:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,307,196 times

Advertisements

This is kind of tricky...because how do you decide which houses to tear down?...Not many vacant lots or mostly vacant blocks in L.A versus some other cities.

If you liked where you and your family lived would you be happy having them tear down your neighborhood? People get emotionally attached to where they live.

Besides that, I think if density meant that the city could become more affordable..i think that would be a good thing.

Interesting point about Palms....since I know a lot of people recommend palms as a place to start out in L.A because of the more affordable apartments because of supply.

There are a ton of apartment buildings in the valley it seems...but these aren't in great areas. Like Panorama City,etc.

Last edited by jm1982; 03-22-2013 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 06:37 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,774,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This is kind of tricky...because how do you decide which houses to tear down?...Not many vacant lots or mostly vacant blocks in L.A versus some other cities.

If you liked where you and your family lived would you be happy having them tear down your neighborhood? People get emotionally attached to where they live.

Besides that, I think if density meant that the city could become more affordable..i think that would be a good thing.

Interesting point about Palms....since I know a lot of people recommend palms as a place to start out in L.A because of the more affordable apartments because of supply.

There are a ton of apartment buildings in the valley it seems...but these aren't in great areas. Like Panorama City,etc.
The best way for the city to add density without destroying historic SFH neighborhoods is to populate the Avenues and Boulevards, which as of right now are mostly commercial or light-industrial structures.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:42 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,363,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
But it doesn't look like it "yet". This skyline is a joke for a city of almost 4 million people, and a urban area of 17 million.

Look at how Miami's skyline has changed in the last 30 years.

It

I'm hoping LA's developers could step it up and start having more highrises and skyscrapers to finally look like a Alpha World City.
Questionable logic. A collection of tall buildings do not a world class city make. Otherwise Dubai would pummel London and Paris in global rankings.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:44 PM

18 posts, read 50,796 times
Before any of that density crap happens, there should be better public transportation so you don't have to pay $200/mo to park your car in a garage structure. It's not gonna happen.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:58 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,278,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Questionable logic. A collection of tall buildings do not a world class city make. Otherwise Dubai would pummel London and Paris in global rankings.
Imagine if LA had a skyline like Dubai that spreads from Westwood from Downtown. It would look mighty impressive. Having a skyline ranked #34 in the US ain't cutting it.

LA Skyline Ranked Number 34 (Right Below Minneapolis) - The Skyline - Curbed LA

Old 03-22-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

LA's a mostly transient city. So there isn't a lot of families who lived there for 3 or more genrations that'll really oppose revitlization. In my honest opinion. The developers could look at the dense apartment structures found in Koreatown and spread it up to LA Brea on the western end, Sunset Blvd on the northern end, Melrose on the South(Hancock Park is right below Melrose), and to Korearown on the eastern end. The density would be insane, and the area is mostly transient. So there wouldn't be that much opposition of building denser structures. It would look awesome.

And when the public transit plans by Metro is completed. Some of the parking structures could be taken down to add more multi-use structures.

Last edited by hipcat; 03-22-2013 at 08:25 PM..

Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 PM

27 posts, read 61,144 times
No way. I already feel like this city is too dense at times. If people really want it, then I guess they can settle in Downtown or West Los Angeles where people want the density. Other than that, I say leave single family houses alone.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:04 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,363,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Imagine if LA had a skyline like Dubai that spreads from Westwood from Downtown. It would look mighty impressive. Having a skyline ranked #34 in the US ain't cutting it.

LA Skyline Ranked Number 34 (Right Below Minneapolis) - The Skyline - Curbed LA
That would suck. Los Angeles gets more days of sunshine than just about any major city on Earth--you don't block that with skyscrapers period. It's not like they add vibrancy or anything. Ever hung around in Century City? How could a street named Avenue of the Stars be soooo boring? Amazing.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:14 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,404,912 times
Well my first outside sales job I had an interesting territory. Cerritos-nice, Anaheim Hills-nice, Compton level it, Inglewood level it, Hawthorne level it, Carson hmm some of it is gangsta we will keep it, Lynwood level it.

I think I found your space. Or we could move all the hood rats into a dense blng like Cabrini Gardens. Oh sorry forget whack Snoop Dog's hood of Nor LB too.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
That would suck. Los Angeles gets more days of sunshine than just about any major city on Earth--you don't block that with skyscrapers period. It's not like they add vibrancy or anything. Ever hung around in Century City? How could a street named Avenue of the Stars be soooo boring? Amazing.
Dubai, Miami and most Latin American cities have sunshine all year also and they have impressive skylines. The constant sunshine is not an excuse to have a small skyline like Downtown. Wilshire from Downtown to Westwood is mostly tall and medium height buildings anyways. Skyscrapers might not work, but more meduim height to taller buildings from Downtown to Westwood would add a bit of vibrancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles