Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 05:50 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times

Advertisements

LA is so refreshing in comparison to the rest of the country. I love every bit of this city, even as much as I complain about West LA.

But the COL is the biggest burden and the job situation make it worse!

these employers take advantage of the labor force here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 06:27 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
LA is so refreshing in comparison to the rest of the country. I love every bit of this city, even as much as I complain about West LA.

But the COL is the biggest burden and the job situation make it worse!

these employers take advantage of the labor force here.
BarcelonaFan, I'm curious which neighborhood you live in? It's OK if you don't want to mention it on here, I was just curious because I always read your posts/opinions on LA but can't remember ever seeing you mentioned where you chose to live when you moved out here, or where you would want to live.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 PM

I live in *Valley Village which rocks. I love my neighborhood. I am looking to move to Studio City or Sherman Oaks or closer to Toluca Lake.

* actually I live right in between Valley Glen and Valley Village but I am always in the latter half.

I have no complaints about where I live. I am just trying to justify the major downgrade in living standards from Texas to LA. The perks are living in an awesome town, natural beauty, laid back feel, no keeping up with the Jones's vibe, etc.

But all my friends back home are already owning homes, starting families and careers. That's just something you kind of have to put on hold in LA or at least wait until you're much more established.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 AM

810 posts, read 1,342,214 times
Midwestern suburbs have that vibe too much in their own way. People get all judgmental about what brand of grill you have, or if your tv is LCD vs plasma sort of thing.

At least in LA, a lot of the "keeping up" mentality is centered around being in shape and dressing well. In LA, that seems to go farther than most places. You can barely be making it and living in a small apt, but if you present a good image, you get some respect for that. In the midwest, if you're a guy - you'll have to explain you're straight if you aren't fascinated by big-screen tv's, subwoofers, and happen to care more about fashion and working out. There's absolutely nothing good about the "Oktoberfest" culture that everyone obsesses about over here.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:38 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Midwestern suburbs have that vibe too much in their own way. People get all judgmental about what brand of grill you have, or if your tv is LCD vs plasma sort of thing.

At least in LA, a lot of the "keeping up" mentality is centered around being in shape and dressing well. In LA, that seems to go farther than most places. You can barely be making it and living in a small apt, but if you present a good image, you get some respect for that. In the midwest, if you're a guy - you'll have to explain you're straight if you aren't fascinated by big-screen tv's, subwoofers, and happen to care more about fashion and working out. There's absolutely nothing good about the "Oktoberfest" culture that everyone obsesses about over here.
Agreed. On just about everything. I'm not sure if you have to explain you're straight if you're not fascinated by the TVs/stereos. However, if you have zero interest in following sports . . . I actually like playing sports, and even watching a live game, but following whats going on through the season?? no. But THAT might make people wonder.

Oktoberfest?? Not sure where that comes into play here. Personally I like German food and beer. That German culture that is all over the midwest, can be a little hard to come by in Socal.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 AM

In Texas if you're not into hunting, fishing, cars, as a source of pride then people think you're weird.

I have a mild interest in all three hobbies listed above but in small town TX if you're not totally enamoured by the three then think there is something wrong with you.

I'm more of the crunchy kind of guy; hiking, surfing, working out, and my favorite sports are soccer and tennis. So do the math and see why CA is more my fit.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
In Texas if you're not into hunting, fishing, cars, as a source of pride then people think you're weird.

I have a mild interest in all three hobbies listed above but in small town TX if you're not totally enamoured by the three then think there is something wrong with you.

I'm more of the crunchy kind of guy; hiking, surfing, working out, and my favorite sports are soccer and tennis. So do the math and see why CA is more my fit.
You're just like me in this regard. (although I haven't actually surfed yet, I do snorkel as I love marine life, and do some horseback riding and rock climbing on occassion).

The pine forests around Houston are more conducive to the more "manly" sports of hunting and fishing. They're flat, thick, with a lot of creeks.

What part of Houston did you grow up in. It seems like the thing about Texas cities, is that some parts are dominated by a diversity of transplants, while others have a much more old school Texan feel. It seems often that the urban core/downtown neighborhoods, as well as some new suburban subdivisions often have more transplants, whereas older suburban neighborhoods especially those that have bigger yards and more trees are characterized by a lot more native Texans.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 AM

810 posts, read 1,342,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Agreed. On just about everything. I'm not sure if you have to explain you're straight if you're not fascinated by the TVs/stereos. However, if you have zero interest in following sports . . . I actually like playing sports, and even watching a live game, but following whats going on through the season?? no. But THAT might make people wonder.

Oktoberfest?? Not sure where that comes into play here. Personally I like German food and beer. That German culture that is all over the midwest, can be a little hard to come by in Socal.
I mean as an overall representation of the "beer culture" too much of the midwest prides itself on. I never cared for that stuff really. Too many people also are judgmental if you prefer light beer, that's not very masculine, guys will say stuff like "clear beer" - except the word starts with a "q" and rhymes with "clear", but doesn't show up when written here. Usually followed by some ignorant "huhuhu" laugh, implication real men drink Guinness, Leinenkugel, etc. Then again, counting calories is not really of importance in the midwest unless you're a woman trying to lose weight after pregnancy.

Don't get me wrong...there are some cities known for fitness in the midwest, Minneapolis comes to mind, but it is more like a PNW city stuck in the upper midwest.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
This gave me a chuckle. People really care about brands in other places. For women, it's always brands of clothing.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:13 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
you fail to mention that some people won't choose to live their home city because that is where their family is located. as much as i may have been interested in living elsewhere, my wife would never have moved more than a couple hours from her family in the LA area. thus, we remain here, but i'm not complaining.
He failed to mention? Haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles