Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 PM

16 posts, read 43,103 times

Advertisements

Reading these posts reminded me of a great 1950s film set in LA. Watch 'Rebel Without a Cause' with Jimmy Dean. Every time I am in Griffith Park or near Bakersfield, I cannot help but think of James Dean...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 09:48 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius69 View Post
Every time I am in Griffith Park or near Bakersfield, I cannot help but think of James Dean...
Why Bakersfield? Up until last year, I always though he died on a curve on Sunset Boulevard. He actually died somewhere north of San Luis Obispo and south of Salinas. The person whose car collided with his was from one of the Central Valley towns near Bakersfield, though, and I believe was going from his parents' home to school at Cal Poly S.L.O. when this occurred.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:28 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Why Bakersfield? Up until last year, I always though he died on a curve on Sunset Boulevard. He actually died somewhere north of San Luis Obispo and south of Salinas. The person whose car collided with his was from one of the Central Valley towns near Bakersfield, though, and I believe was going from his parents' home to school at Cal Poly S.L.O. when this occurred.
He died at a place called Cholame in San Luis Obispo... I remember reading an article on Wikipedia about this guy a long time ago.

James Dean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-17-2012, 10:42 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
World keeps changing

But big entertainment and real estate money has been heavily Jewish and on Westside for decades

Places like Palisades and Brentwood are less Jewish and less ethnic than BH: self-segregation amongst affluent perhaps?

Places like NewportBch are more throwback places with lots of non-Jews with some money, though not much really big money or much of a local economy beyond Pimco and retirees....lots of entrepreneurs from LA region and other semi-retireds from TX, etc who may not be comfortable w/Westside "culture"

And world's most powerful economic epicenters like SiliconValley are full of young, white, rather wealthy, self-made engineers/entrepreneurs, from all over US suburbia but choosing to migrate to CA for a better life

As much as US, esp CA/NYC/TX, is a melting pot, ranks of self-made wealthy, whether in SiliconValley or BH or Houston, are about as homogenous as are ranks of NBA players....self-selection is perhaps inevitable in any talent-driven industry, whether tech or finance or even the clown industry....

Old 02-10-2013, 06:41 AM

281 posts, read 750,645 times
Interesting thread!

Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
OK, so now I got the Brady Bunch theme song stuck in my head.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:26 AM

116 posts, read 377,856 times
Default Apparently you forgot the Brady Bunch was not a hispanic family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Where do people in other expensive cities like SFO, NYC, Chicago, etc live? Especially, if they are on the younger side, maybe hipsters, no kids yet, DINKS, etc? Don't they live in "happening" places with fun things to do like the beach, clubs, bars, trendy shopping regardless of house size? Later, when they get married and have kids and perhaps lose one income to stay at home, they might move to a more suburban area like the San Fernando Valley, Santa Clarita, etc.
These areas are extremely hispanic, and unless the Brady Bunch were hispanic, they probably would not have moved there.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
No, this is not a serious conversation. Our friend rob here is trying to fish out where he can go in So Cal to get away from the dark people. The answer is: Nowhere. Good luck with your search, pal!
First, hon, you read the gist of the post incorrectly. I am an ex-pat of L.A., and not by choice, but rather by grad school and subsequent moves for work. During that absence, the economics changed and I could not really afford to go back ... and have the QOL I wanted.

Second, I SAID Los Angeles has always had a DARK HEAD of hair. The majority of my classmates were dark haired, many ethnic, and some blondes. Boy, did the blonde chicks ever get a lot of attention. They often had the worst personalities. But, 1/3 of any of the schools was Hispanic, often native to L.A.

Third, the mix that WAS there was multicultural and it was great. It's the "here and now" that's annoying to a person that comes to town every once in a while. Here are a few examples: Westwood Blvd, south of Wilshire and north of Santa Monica, feels more like Tehran than LA, thanks to the signage in Farsi. The Glendale Galleria has no white people to be seen anywhere, other than Armenians. Entire neighborhoods in the further out SGV near Hacienda Heights, La Puente, and Puente Hills are all Asian, no English signage, with the Hispanics being displaced. Lastly, I was at a big LAX car rental agency on Memorial Day 2010 and I did not see ONE white, non-Hispanic person working there. I was noticing the change, and this happened in 10 to 20 years. That's fast.

I LIKED the multicultural L.A. I grew up in. I don't like the polarized L.A. I see now. In fact, I liked seeing the rental car counters at LAX operated by ALL kinds of people, including some white ones. Don't worry, hon, the "dark people" were always there. I went to school with them, so they hardly a shock to my system or something I want to get away from. Defensive people read things with selective perception, the way you did.

We need some music to liven this up:

Theme Song to The Brady Bunch - YouTube

This ain't no L.A. family, let me tell you. Overland Park, KS is more like it!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:17 AM

221 posts, read 347,691 times
OP- I'm Nordic and from Midwestern stock. I have brown hair. For many years, I also dyed my hair black or red, so people assumed I was Irish or Welsh. Which I do have Scottish and Welsh as well, so that isn't far off.

My sister is Nordic and Scottish, and she has brown hair and brown eyes.

All Scandinavian Midwestern-origin people are not blonde with blue eyes (though my entire mother's generation is dark blonde hair and green eyes).

Most of our families have been here in the New World a while if we were from Scandinavian stock, and we've been mixing it up for a few hundred years with every other ethnic group. Half my Nordic family has a tan you wouldn't believe if they are in the sun, because we had some Native American relatives a couple generations ago.

It's not like you can just pick Nordic types out of a crowd and know by hair and skin color where the Midwesterners are.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post
OP- I'm Nordic and from Midwestern stock. I have brown hair. For many years, I also dyed my hair black or red, so people assumed I was Irish or Welsh. Which I do have Scottish and Welsh as well, so that isn't far off.

My sister is Nordic and Scottish, and she has brown hair and brown eyes.

All Scandinavian Midwestern-origin people are not blonde with blue eyes (though my entire mother's generation is dark blonde hair and green eyes).

Most of our families have been here in the New World a while if we were from Scandinavian stock, and we've been mixing it up for a few hundred years with every other ethnic group. Half my Nordic family has a tan you wouldn't believe if they are in the sun, because we had some Native American relatives a couple generations ago.

It's not like you can just pick Nordic types out of a crowd and know by hair and skin color where the Midwesterners are.
Got you. And, even though this was about LA demographics, there is an all too predictable spillover to the desirability of certain physical traits. Forgetting the Nordic/Anglo/Germanic stereotypical look, there were numerous natural Italian blondes in school in LA who got just as much, if not more, attention than did the Nordic ones. Think Giada DeLaurentiis-alikes.

http://img.poptower.com/pic-50893/gi...tiis.jpg?d=600

Again, the blonde look was NEVER prevalent in L.A., from the first day L.A. was incorporated all the way until it has swollen to 4 million people. It is, however, the look that was disproportionately favored for women. I think the craze over Sofia Vergara and Kim Kardashan is moving that pendulum. But this isn't really what this thread is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles