Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:44 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times

Advertisements

One of the things that I've noticed when I periodically return to LA is the changing demographics. When I was growing up, blonde girls who looked like they could be cast for "The Brady Bunch" were ubiquitous in the Southland, be it the Glendale Galleria, Santa Anita Fashion Park or West Covina Plaza. Within the last 5 or so years, stopping in at these malls when visiting friends or to get something to eat in the food court showed anything but. In the Glendale Galleria, I was the only Anglo person I saw in half an hour, and I'm not even technically an Anglo. I only ask because I find the changing face of LA interesting.

I know that ethnic populations in LA have grown and natives from the 70s and before are living in exurbia. However, where are these blond Midwestern stock folks living now? Orange County? Out-of-state? Rural areas? The only place that I can honestly say, without really looking for them, that I've seen Maureen McCormick-alikes is in Chico CA while briefly in the area. Whether eating or getting coffee, I thought to myself "Man, the Brady Bunch moved here." However, I don't think rural NorCal is on Angelenos' radar screen.

Demographics are interesting. Many people erroneously think LA is full of blond surfers. LA has ALWAYS had a dark head of hair and today, even more so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 07:58 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,073,932 times
Where the white people at? The OC.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:09 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Their hair turned gray and they all died out.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Their hair turned gray and they all died out.
Maybe the former, but not the latter. My HS had a fairly large number of blond people, but I can't follow everyone's FB, nor do I want to. They are not in the LA basin, for the most part.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:16 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Maybe the former, but not the latter. My HS had a fairly large number of blond people, but I can't follow everyone's FB, nor do I want to. They are not in the LA basin, for the most part.

The Brady boys were brunettes.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:55 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times
There are lots of Anglos and Nordics in places like Simi Valley, Santa Clarita, Thousand Oaks, Moorpark, Ventura, Camarillo. In the San Fernando Valley, you definitely see the "Nordic look" in Sherman Oaks and the area immediately south of the 101, it gets more dominant as you get into the western side of Woodland Hills where it mixes in with the Mediterranian looks of the Persians, Jews and Isrealis in Calabassas. Malibu is and always has been very Nordic. There is a relatively large Anglo, non-Armenian community in Burbank of which there are second and third generation Burbank natives. Overall, though, I think the biggest change in population has been in the heart of the San Fernando Valley where most of the Anglo population left for the suburbs starting in the 1980s and into the 1990s.

West LA, Marina Del Rey, Venice and Santa Monica have always had lots of Nordic/Midwestern-looking people too. As a matter of fact, Santa Monica has the largest British expatriate community in California and the U.S. The Nordic element in West L.A. is probably only secondary in size to the Persian/Jewish/Mediterranian element in terms of population percentage. Santa Monica, at one point, had a very large Norwegian community (there's a reason Santa Monica High School's mascot is "the Vikings"). I've been noticing lots of Europeans in Venice and Marina Del Rey as of late too.

As the other posters mentioned, lots of Nordic-looking people in South Orange County and even pockets in Long Beach and the South Bay (Rancho Palos Verdes, Manhattan Beach, etc. )

Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk92681 View Post
There are lots of Anglos and Nordics in places like Simi Valley, Santa Clarita, Thousand Oaks, Moorpark, Ventura, Camarillo. In the San Fernando Valley, you definitely see the "Nordic look" in Sherman Oaks and the area immediately south of the 101, it gets more dominant as you get into the western side of Woodland Hills where it mixes in with the Mediterranian looks of the Persians, Jews and Isrealis in Calabassas. Malibu is and always has been very Nordic. There is a relatively large Anglo, non-Armenian community in Burbank of which there are second and third generation Burbank natives. Overall, though, I think the biggest change in population has been in the heart of the San Fernando Valley where most of the Anglo population left for the suburbs starting in the 1980s and into the 1990s.

West LA, Marina Del Rey, Venice and Santa Monica have always had lots of Nordic/Midwestern-looking people too. As a matter of fact, Santa Monica has the largest British expatriate community in California and the U.S. The Nordic element in West L.A. is probably only secondary in size to the Persian/Jewish/Mediterranian element in terms of population. Santa Monica, at one point, had a very large Norwegian community (there's a reason Santa Monica High School's mascot is "the Vikings"). I've been noticing lots of Europeans in Venice and Marina Del Rey as of late too.

As the other posters mentioned, lots of Nordic-looking people in South Orange County and even pockets in Long Beach and the South Bay (Rancho Palos Verdes, Manhattan Beach, etc. )
Interesting. I could see Moorpark, Thousand Oaks, the South Bay and Orange County. That the West Side is still "hanging in there" is surprising. I didn't see many the last time I was in the area. The Santa Monica observation is funny. Yes, I've heard "Yes, I live in Santa Monica" with THAT accent many times! I also believe many are in the more affluent parts of the Coachella Valley ... Palm Springs and adjacent cities, though not so much in Indio or rickety Desert Hot Springs.

Thanks for an intelligent and thorough post. With each successive visit, LA's demographics seem to shift.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
The only place that I can honestly say, without really looking for them, that I've seen Maureen McCormick-alikes is in Chico CA while briefly in the area. Whether eating or getting coffee, I thought to myself "Man, the Brady Bunch moved here." However, I don't think rural NorCal is on Angelenos' radar screen.
Correct! Chico is full of mostly ex-Bay Area folks who wanted a more rural lifestyle closer to the Sierras, but who didn't want to go to Grass Valley or El Dorado Hills closer to Sacramento.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:10 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,623,973 times
Just got back from Sherman Oaks Westfield Mall and it seemed like it was mostly Persian and Armenian. Besides Latinos, the biggest group of people in LA are Mediterranean/Eastern types; Persians, Israelis (along with American Jews), Arabs, Armenians and other white ethnics.

Nordics/Anglo types I see in Burbank, the OC, parts of Sherman Oaks and scattered about in metro LA (mostly West).

Beverly Hills is one area that seemed dominated by rich Persians, Russians and Arabs. Any Nordic types I see there are European tourists.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I could see Moorpark, Thousand Oaks, the South Bay and Orange County. That the West Side is still "hanging in there" is surprising. I didn't see many the last time I was in the area. The Santa Monica observation is funny. Yes, I've heard "Yes, I live in Santa Monica" with THAT accent many times! I also believe many are in the more affluent parts of the Coachella Valley ... Palm Springs and adjacent cities, though not so much in Indio or rickety Desert Hot Springs.

Thanks for an intelligent and thorough post. With each successive visit, LA's demographics seem to shift.
The Westside is very pricey and probably always will be. You'd be shocked if you knew how many Country Western artists and musicians have homes in Pacific Palisades. Santa Monica has always been tremendously popular with Europeans, Brits and Australians and seems to be getting more so by the year. In fact, last time I was there, I had an impromtu lunch with a bunch of Australians on holiday at the hostel there on 2nd Street. All of them said they fell in love with Santa Monica and the idea of living there someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles