Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 06:44 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Hmm . . . not entirely sure its quite that simple.

Like we said there are MANY, MANY people who love San Diego, but can't stand LA.

However the point I was making before, is that people, even suprisingly, family oriented, "heartland" people still love visiting Chicago. But Milwaukee is not EVEN on ones radar. Or if so, its Packers, beer, and cheese.

And I'm not sure if people think of Austin as being the more "family-oriented" town. I would say most people not from Texas, think of Austin as being this city full of live music, liberalism, etc. while they think of Houston, as some sauna/swamp with jobs and cheap living. They barely acknowledge it as even a city.

I think it all depends on the region/state. And which cities simply market themselves better.

Austin markets itself much better than Houston.
San Diego markets itself better than LA.

(in both cases many of the natives themselves can be quite self deprecating).

Chicago markets itself better than Milwaukee. In addition to being bigger, Chicago just has a boosterism/swagger.

While Boston and NYC are very, very different, I would say both have a sense of swagger and pride that can be very obnoxious when taken too far.
I know some people who are from LA and they like living in San Diego better than LA. There is a rumor that people in San Diego are friendlier and no so judgemental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
Spot on! I'm from a small town in between Milwaukee and Chicago (Beloit, WI, right next door to Janesville) and I moved to LA in 98'. I'll tell you this, this city is sooo rediscoverable. I branch out of my neighborhood a lot and I realize a lot of people in LA don't do that and so they see one facet of it and that's it. This includes people that have been here their whole lives. I put one of my boys onto the Venice Canals and he was like, "I never knew this was here, it's got it's own little vibe." And that's what I tell people that live here or lived here and hate it. Most of them never branch(ed) out and hate a small part of LA. I get it! I mean I hate Beverly Hills. Well the people. The drivers over there are even more self-absorbed than the average LA driver (which most are pretty bad--blinkers don't exist here), I hate the plastic surgery fitness sex queens (ya know, 40+, tons of botox and really skinny with big boobs but doesn't realize she'd probably look better naturally). But even in my hate I love that aspect of LA because it's just a part of the city.

Anyway, yeah LA has some issues but people love to generalize and therefore never open their eyes to see all that it has to offer.
I travel all over LA all the time. I drive to Burbank,Glendale,Pasadena,Brentwood,Beverly Hills,Hollywood,West Hollywood,LA Miracle Mile area,Manhatten Beach,Venice,Santa Monica,Thousand Oaks,Santa Barbara(not really LA),Woodland Hills,Sherman Oaks,Studio,City,Tarzana and of coarse Encino. LA has lots to offer and lots of different things to see. But people in LA are always in a hurry and in their cars most of the time. People get influenced by the media.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVVEGAS View Post
I lived in many of the cities you talked about, LA, Vegas, Scottsdale, Chicago, Denver, Portland, Seattle and the Bay area and guess what? The San Fernando Valley was the biggest arm pit of all of them. Sure some big cities had more dangerous areas then the San Fernando Valley but in general I have never lived in a place where the people were as miserable as SFV.

Areas of tha San Fernando valley like Panorama City,Pacioma,Sylmar,North Hollywood,Reseda,Canoga Park and Van Nuys may be lightly sketchy to very sketchy. But areas like Studio city,Sherman Oaks,Encino,Tarzana,Woodland Hills,West Hills,Tuluca Lake and Calabasas are very nice areas. I dont know anyone who lives in the sketchy parts of the San Fernando valley nor do I have any reason to visit or go to these ghetto areas. Like if you live in San Francisco you dont go to the Tenderlion,Mission or South of Market areas or the area of Market street between Van Ness and Larkin street. Most big heavily populated cities have bad areas and good areas.

People in the Westside of Los Angeles,San Fernando Valley,Hollywood,Santa Monica are miserable because we have tons and tons of bad traffic congestion and there are too many people living in these areas. Its probably one of the most heavily populated areas of the United States besides New York and San Francisco and Chicago.

Last edited by Count David; 10-17-2012 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: fixed quoting

Old 10-17-2012, 08:26 PM

12 posts, read 24,148 times
I hate to be the be the one to break it to you, but Encino CA is one of the most dangerous, highest crime areas in the whole country if not the whole world. Here are the Encino crime statistics. Moderator cut: see note The First number represents Encino...second number California and third The US as a national average....

2010 Crime Rate Indexes Encino, CA 91436 California United States Total Crime Risk 303 97 100 Murder Risk 272 123 100 Rape Risk 104 81 100 Robbery Risk 538 124 100 Assault Risk 555 108 100 Burglary Risk 220 89 100 Larceny Risk 196 84 100 Motor Vehicle Theft Risk 569 160 100 The data for Encino, CA 91436 may also contain data for the following areas: Encino, Van Nuys

Crime Risk Index (100 = National Average): Index score for an area is compared to the national average of 100. A score of 200 indicates twice the national average total crime risk, while 50 indicates half the national risk. We encourage you to consult with a knowledgeable local real estate agent or contact the local police department for any additional information.

Crime Indexes are based on numerous current and historical datasets as well as proprietary modeling algorithms which estimate values at more granular geographic levels when specific data is either unavailable or impractical to aggregate. While every effort is made to ensure accuracy, these are estimates and should only be used as a guide. For detailed information regarding crime and safety in a community, please contact local law enforcement agencies.

Last edited by Count David; 10-18-2012 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: way rude and unnecessary

Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,623,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Areas of tha San Fernando valley like Panorama City,Pacioma,Sylmar,North Hollywood,Reseda,Canoga Park and Van Nuys may be lightly sketchy to very sketchy. But areas like Studio city,Sherman Oaks,Encino,Tarzana,Woodland Hills,West Hills,Tuluca Lake and Calabasas are very nice areas. I dont know anyone who lives in the sketchy parts of the San Fernando valley nor do I have any reason to visit or go to these ghetto areas. Like if you live in San Francisco you dont go to the Tenderlion,Mission or South of Market areas or the area of Market street between Van Ness and Larkin street. Most big heavily populated cities have bad areas and good areas.

People in the Westside of Los Angeles,San Fernando Valley,Hollywood,Santa Monica are miserable because we have tons and tons of bad traffic congestion and there are too many people living in these areas. Its probably one of the most heavily populated areas of the United States besides New York and San Francisco and Chicago.
Not all of North Hollywood is ghetto. A lot of it borders Studio City, Toluca Lake, Burbank and Sherman Oaks. Sometimes I forget if I am in Burbank or NoHo sometimes.

Valley Village, where I live, for one is not bad at all.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 PM

5,975 posts, read 13,111,142 times
Anyone got any popcorn?

Old 10-17-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Not all of North Hollywood is ghetto. A lot of it borders Studio City, Toluca Lake, Burbank and Sherman Oaks. Sometimes I forget if I am in Burbank or NoHo sometimes.

Valley Village, where I live, for one is not bad at all.
I actually like valley village. I hang out at a coffee shop on Tujanga avenue and Moorpark Street all the time. The part of North Hollywood I'm reffering to as being rough is Vanowen and Lankershim Blvd.

The area around magnolia blvd and Lankershim is getting much better.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I hate to be the be the one to break it to you, but Encino CA is one of the most dangerous, highest crime are Moderator cut: see note The First number represents Encino...second number California and third The US as a national average....

2010 Crime Rate Indexes Encino, CA 91436 California United States Total Crime Risk 303 97 100 Murder Risk 272 123 100 Rape Risk 104 81 100 Robbery Risk 538 124 100 Assault Risk 555 108 100 Burglary Risk 220 89 100 Larceny Risk 196 84 100 Motor Vehicle Theft Risk 569 160 100 The data for Encino, CA 91436 may also contain data for the following areas: Encino, Van Nuys

Crime Risk Index (100 = National Average): Index score for an area is compared to the national average of 100. A score of 200 indicates twice the national average total crime risk, while 50 indicates half the national risk. We encourage you to consult with a knowledgeable local real estate agent or contact the local police department for any additional information.

Crime Indexes are based on numerous current and historical datasets as well as proprietary modeling algorithms which estimate values at more granular geographic levels when specific data is either unavailable or impractical to aggregate. While every effort is made to ensure accuracy, these are estimates and should only be used as a guide. For detailed information regarding crime and safety in a community, please contact local law enforcement agencies.
What website did you get this information from? I went to several other websites and these numbers look like Compton. Many websites regarding crime contain all of Los Angeles County and dont break down each individual community. Many websites said in small print no actual crime data for encino and include Los Angeles county as a whole.

Moderator cut: orphaned statement

Last edited by Count David; 10-18-2012 at 07:23 AM..

Old 10-17-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I hate to be the be the one to break it to you, but Encino CA is one of the most dangerous, highest crime areas in the whole country if not the whole world. Here are the Encino crime statistics.Moderator cut: see note The First number represents Encino...second number California and third The US as a national average....

I found something in the LATIMES that proves you are wrong and ignorant.

Here is the link

Encino Crime - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

According to this link the last week Encino had 0 violent crimes, 16 property crimes. The link also says Encino had 3.6 crimes for 10,000 people last week. That is low if you ask me.

Last edited by Count David; 10-18-2012 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: More information

Old 10-18-2012, 12:20 AM

12 posts, read 24,148 times
Look Buddy who lives at home, who can't get a date. You don't think the information I provided is real!! What a joke! HERE ARE THE FACTS...ENCINO HAS three times as much crime on average that is really bad. I lived it! I had about $3000 in property stolen from me in the 2 years living in Encino. I think you must be covering something up if you say you have had nothing ever happen to you ever. further more I don't live in Riverside anymore but I did go to college there to CBU which is a great school and people from SFV probably would not go to Riverside. I doubt you have been to Riverside more then 1 or 2 times your whole life. You seem like a real snob making fun of cities...that sounds really child like. I think your making fun of Bakersfield and Fresno now. The SFV was the Palmdale of its day, it was for people who could not afford to live in WLA and SFV still is the same way today void of culture and bravado. I guess the crime statistics are a little like Compton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles