Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:03 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,609,292 times

Advertisements

I think we would all be better off in another city but we have to make the most of what LA has to offer. The community colleges here are excellent and offer leeway into the California colleges. Also I feel as though while LA is eight million strong the actual professional population is smaller. Network. Be social.

It's never been tough for me to land a date or talk to a woman in any city, even in Boston. But in LA it's hard to talk to hot as heck women. It's almost an unwritten rule; don't talk to a hot girl in LA unless your big ballin'. Cute or average even above average, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 AM

2,441 posts, read 3,420,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381

Since graduating college...

certan
restuarant
competetive
rediculus
arent
acquantances
consumeristic
Mercedez
Andriod
acquantances
Unfortunatly
restuarants
Pheonix
anough
wether
mountans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Is it really this bad out there?
I'm afraid that it is. Proper spelling and grammar, are no longer cool or have at least been redefined by today's generation.

And I suggest that the OP study more about sociology, learn tolerance, or just move away to where everyone is the same as he/she is.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:21 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,313,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
I'm a 31 year old single white male. I moved to the San Fernando Valley portion of LA in 1982 at one year old. I grew up in Encino and have lived in the LA area all of my life. After high school I went to California State University Northridge and got a BA degree after 5 year in Radio-TV-Film.

Since graduating college in 2004 I have noticed certan things about LA and the San Fernando valley that bother me.

I have noticed that more and more generation Y kids from the midwest and other parts of the country keep moving here and try to act like fake actors or actresses. These out of towners take away many of the retail and restuarant jobs. They also make other jobs more competetive. The high apartment rental prices are rediculus here. The traffic is horrible and gets worse and worse every day. The single woman are very superficial and fake. Its hard to make friends that arent acquantances.

The LA area is also very very consumeristic.

I drive a 1999 Toyota Camry that I after I graduated high school. The car still runs and drives great. People I try to meet look down at me for not driving a BMW,Mercedez or late model Honda or Toyota. My cell phone is a basic Verizon flip phone. Almost everyone in the LA area has these expensive Andriod or Iphones. Whne people see me pull out my basci Verizon flip phone they wonder about me.

I'm not interested in wasting money in a new car or expensive smartphone.

Since I lost my job in February 2012 I have been collecting unemployment and I cant find another job anywhere in LA.

Currently I'm living at home with my parents in Encino. When I did work I couldn't afford $1,500 a month for a basic run down apartment.

For the past 8 year I have been unable to meet a woman to date.

I do appear different than most people by LA standards. I wear glasses,walk wobbly and talke in a monotone voice.

Also I don't have any great male friends either. Most of them are acquantances. Many of them live 25-30 miles away. Unfortunatly I have met guy friends who used and took advantage of me to pay for them at restuarants,movies and road trips.

For the past 4 years I have considered packing up my car and moving to Las Vegas,Pheonix or Portland,Oregon. Las Vegas and Phoenix have very high unemployment rates now. Portland also has very high unemployment rates.

I have anough money saved to afford a nice apartment in the 3 cities I mentioned.

Even though I have family in LA I'm starting to realize that LA isn't the right place for me.

I'm lost as to wether leaving LA is a good choice.

A friend of mine just moved out of LA and moved to Albany,New York. He told me on the phone last night that it was the best move he ever made. He is 41 years old and for 8 years couldn't find a woman who would date him. This person is 300 pounds and drives a 1991 Nissan Maxima. He also has an att prepaid cellphone. In Albany he met a 35 year old girlfriend that he has been dating for 3 months. He also told me he had better luck finding better paying full time jobs in Albany as well.

Should I say goodbye to LA and try my luck elsewhere?
There are some good things about living in the LA area such as nice beaches,mountans,canyon roads and so much to see and do.
I also like how LA has nice weather year around.
ok, just my take on what you are saying and feeling: losing your job, living with parents, at your age and spending your entire life in one area has taken a toll. that is understandable, but the grass is always greener on the other side, too bad, it can turn brown as well. If you really think it is time for a change of scenery and it might very well be, visit one of the cities you are considering, spend a week of so talking to companies and looking the city over. See if you think your skills will be marketable in that city. I will suggest, you might want to add Albuquerque to the list..Anyway, give it a shot, it will give you something to think and dream about, if nothing else.

Nita

Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 AM

10,084 posts, read 15,792,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windnsea00 View Post
The city of LA is not to blame, the issues pointed out are for the most part personal.
That's what I was thinking. Sounds like personal problems that won't go away with a change of scenery.

Also interesting is how the OP just knows people are judging him on his old car and flip phone - it seems like a lot of people just assume others are judging them, when honestly they probably could not care less. I'm a pretty judgmental person, but 9 times out of 10 it is against people with gaudy, over-indulgent cars / clothes / phones / etc.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:44 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,470,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I'm afraid that it is. Proper spelling and grammar, are no longer cool or have at least been redefined by today's generation.

And I suggest that the OP study more about sociology, learn tolerance, or just move away to where everyone is the same as he/she is.

Haven't you heard? It's cool to be dumb nowadays. Those kids in other countries with their proper spelling and grammar and excellence at math? So not cool!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:25 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,059,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestchicagoan View Post
I feel ya man. That's how I felt about living in Chicago. I guess you could say Chicago is the Midwest version of California, heck Illinois has an even worse debt crisis than California due to the unfunded pension systems. But, enough about that. FWIW these are the most up to date unemployment stats given by the BLS. Take these with a grain of salt, as this is the government we are talking about. Phoenix metro 7.5%, Las Vegas 13%, Portland 8.2%, and your native area of LA at 10.9%. I moved from Chicago for the very reasons you described above. I can't tell you that Phoenix will be any better, because more than likely it will not. I can say though, that unless you have some connections Las Vegas is probably one of the worst, or the worst area in the country to be jobless. Until consumer spending comes around, that place will remain in the state it's currently in. My advice would be to try Portland. Looking back on things, I wish I would have researched more about my move. I'm younger than you (22). But, I have been working "real world" jobs since I graduated. I've been very lucky compared to my respective peers, and I am thankful. To me Portland seems like a great place. I have never been, but have heard wonderful things and I truly enjoy the nature associated with the area. One thing you will not see here in the Phoenix area is any "natural" greenery. However, if you want more of that SoCal feel Phoenix would fit the bill. For me, from visting LA, and looking around here it seems that Phoenix tried their "best" to model it after LA. Just my opinion though. I wish I could tell you more about the dating scene in any area. I have found one thing that is more inviting in the Midwest and that is talking to girls. I don't know if it's the sprawl that kills that, but I have an awful hard time making conversation and meeting new people here. Perhaps, it is just me and I have been broken since the ex fiance of three years left me. But, I didn't think I was nearly this bad at socializing. Just my two cents.

SouthwestChicagoan
Personally I disagree about Chicago. It is not the midwest version of LA.

Other than being major cities/major metropolitan areas in states that that have budget issues, the two really have little in common.

Chicago, while world class and cosmopolitan, has a culture is much more entrenched in tradition, that may not always make sense to people not from there. LA is not really like this. You certainly have materialism and superficiality, but is very different than LA.

In LA and other parts of California, people get married later, and there is not the pressure to start a family as much. LA may be more superficial about appearance, youth, etc. Chicagoland there is more superficiality about which schools you went to, which neighborhood/town you grew up in, the sports team you follow, the size of your house, etc. Chicagoans may also judge you on what you are wearing, but its more about having a more traditional, classic appearance in the workplace.

The only areas where you see the kind of LA glitz and glamour vibe in Chicagoland is the near north side of the city (Mag Mile/River North/Gold Coast, somewhat Lincoln Park, West Loop, South Loop, etc.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:29 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,059,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
I'm a 31 year old single white male. I moved to the San Fernando Valley portion of LA in 1982 at one year old. I grew up in Encino and have lived in the LA area all of my life. After high school I went to California State University Northridge and got a BA degree after 5 year in Radio-TV-Film.

Since graduating college in 2004 I have noticed certan things about LA and the San Fernando valley that bother me.

I have noticed that more and more generation Y kids from the midwest and other parts of the country keep moving here and try to act like fake actors or actresses. These out of towners take away many of the retail and restuarant jobs. They also make other jobs more competetive. The high apartment rental prices are rediculus here. The traffic is horrible and gets worse and worse every day. The single woman are very superficial and fake. Its hard to make friends that arent acquantances.

The LA area is also very very consumeristic.

I drive a 1999 Toyota Camry that I after I graduated high school. The car still runs and drives great. People I try to meet look down at me for not driving a BMW,Mercedez or late model Honda or Toyota. My cell phone is a basic Verizon flip phone. Almost everyone in the LA area has these expensive Andriod or Iphones. Whne people see me pull out my basci Verizon flip phone they wonder about me.

I'm not interested in wasting money in a new car or expensive smartphone.

Since I lost my job in February 2012 I have been collecting unemployment and I cant find another job anywhere in LA.

Currently I'm living at home with my parents in Encino. When I did work I couldn't afford $1,500 a month for a basic run down apartment.

For the past 8 year I have been unable to meet a woman to date.

I do appear different than most people by LA standards. I wear glasses,walk wobbly and talke in a monotone voice.

Also I don't have any great male friends either. Most of them are acquantances. Many of them live 25-30 miles away. Unfortunatly I have met guy friends who used and took advantage of me to pay for them at restuarants,movies and road trips.

For the past 4 years I have considered packing up my car and moving to Las Vegas,Pheonix or Portland,Oregon. Las Vegas and Phoenix have very high unemployment rates now. Portland also has very high unemployment rates.

I have anough money saved to afford a nice apartment in the 3 cities I mentioned.

Even though I have family in LA I'm starting to realize that LA isn't the right place for me.

I'm lost as to wether leaving LA is a good choice.

A friend of mine just moved out of LA and moved to Albany,New York. He told me on the phone last night that it was the best move he ever made. He is 41 years old and for 8 years couldn't find a woman who would date him. This person is 300 pounds and drives a 1991 Nissan Maxima. He also has an att prepaid cellphone. In Albany he met a 35 year old girlfriend that he has been dating for 3 months. He also told me he had better luck finding better paying full time jobs in Albany as well.

Should I say goodbye to LA and try my luck elsewhere?
There are some good things about living in the LA area such as nice beaches,mountans,canyon roads and so much to see and do.
I also like how LA has nice weather year around.
maybe you just need to get out? Who knows, maybe the mindset of going somewhere else, puts you in a positive mode. That helps a lot.

I moved to LA for a lot of the things you mentioned at the end: Nice beaches, mountains, canyon roads, so much to see and do, and the year round nice weather.

Personally I have a verizon flip phone, I know others do, and it has been very easy to make friends. I've made many friends, and have been on great dates with people I have met through meetup, church, etc.

You should know, however, that while you may get away from the materialism and superficiality, and more friendly that you describe LA as being, it may be harder to break in, into a social group in smaller towns, as most people are from there, don't need to expand their social group, speak references and traditions that you might not get, and people typically get married younger, and the "pickins may be slim"

Old 09-25-2012, 12:25 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,521,747 times
I would also scratch "Las Vegas" off that list if you're looking for a social life. Vegas is a very transient town and is one of the hardest places to make meaningful and long-lasting friendships, according to many ex-Las Vegas residents.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:17 PM

Location: Orange County>Inland Empire>Phoenix>Flagstaff>Chicagoland
51 posts, read 140,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Personally I disagree about Chicago. It is not the midwest version of LA.

Other than being major cities/major metropolitan areas in states that that have budget issues, the two really have little in common.

Chicago, while world class and cosmopolitan, has a culture is much more entrenched in tradition, that may not always make sense to people not from there. LA is not really like this. You certainly have materialism and superficiality, but is very different than LA.

In LA and other parts of California, people get married later, and there is not the pressure to start a family as much. LA may be more superficial about appearance, youth, etc. Chicagoland there is more superficiality about which schools you went to, which neighborhood/town you grew up in, the sports team you follow, the size of your house, etc. Chicagoans may also judge you on what you are wearing, but its more about having a more traditional, classic appearance in the workplace.

The only areas where you see the kind of LA glitz and glamour vibe in Chicagoland is the near north side of the city (Mag Mile/River North/Gold Coast, somewhat Lincoln Park, West Loop, South Loop, etc.
Sorry if I came on strong with what looks like a personal distaste for Chicago. Didn't mean to come off like that. I was just comparing my personal feelings with the city. I know Chicago may not be anywhere near LA on most fronts. It's just how I felt similar things towards Chicago as the OP did about LA. I am proud of the few things you mentioned with family coming into play more, and less physical things holding as much value to people. More often than not, especially with the health of my mother, I will have to return to the Chicago area probably sooner rather than later. I hear the OP issue though with maybe trying some new scenery, and a change of pace. If anything moving to new places or areas, makes you appreciate the things from your hometown more, and give you a better idea of what you like and don't like in a place to live. I will go on record saying that I personally don't think the Phoenix metro is a good place for young people, with the exception of the ASU area around Mill Ave.

*Disclaimer - I would like to think I am above the norm with my punctuation and grammar of my generation. However, I do know there are probably a couple run on sentences here.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:30 PM

928 posts, read 1,706,713 times
So you hate LA because your life sucks? Move elsewhere then. Your life will still suck, but it'll be a lot cheaper to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles