Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times

Advertisements

Here's why I love LA.

Basically this: I'm more of a nature and outdoor person, but I do NOT at all identify with small town and rural culture. I like the cosmopolitan, melting pot, and I am left of center. The cities I prefer have less to do with the cities themselves, but with the variety of natural environments the surround the metro areas to enjoy and explore, and to meet and connect with people who like doing this too.

You are probably wondering, well wouldn't Seattle, Denver, and Portland be better for you then? Well, besides the fact that climate does limit some outdoor activities throughout the year, there are specific reasons why I love LA. The diversity. Hiking, and outdoor pursuits are not just something white people engage in! In my outdoor groups I belong to, there is everyone of every background partaking in enjoying the natural environments. Lets be honest, most other western cities are not exactly a melting pot. Also, I DON'T want everyone to be more rugged than me. I DON'T want everyone to be black diamond skiers. I DON'T want to be in an area where people are dressed ready to go backpacking all the time! I had enough of that in environmental science/natural resources curriculum in college. And that is a clique in and of itself. I also like to look good. Not in a narcissistic way, but I don't want to be looked upon as falling into the trap of consumerism just because I enjoy buying new clothes, etc.

I want to take city people, that don't get out much, and show them the beautiful places. In smaller western cities everyone knows that stuff, and if you are from east of the Mississippi or California, in other western states you kind of have to prove yourself.

Apart from the drop dead sexy, gorgeous model/actress, most cute women, will be delighted if you are just a regular nice guy.

So, in a nutshell, I like the outdoor lifestyles with the cosmopolitan melting pot, where you don't have to prove yourself in a red state culture. I tried doing that in college. I bought a shotgun and got into hunting, and haven't touched in about a decade. Its sitting in my cousins gun cabinet. But if I move to a RED state, I can tell all the guys that I own a gun, so just because I am newcomer from a blue state, I'm not coming here to "change your lifestyle with regulations"

Having said all that, I can easily and am open to living in many different areas of the country.

OK, that was a bit of a stream of consciousness cathartic dump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 04:49 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
I don't hate LA or the SF Valley. Recently been thinking about moving to the northwest corner of the valley. Seems quiet after dark and less congested as opposed to West LA.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:51 AM

73 posts, read 151,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Is it really this bad out there?
LOL

Old 09-26-2012, 06:54 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Maybe the OP lost their way back. Or they left LA and forgot to take along their City-Data Forum Password.
Maybe the OP moved to Albany.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:19 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Riverisde is one of armpits of Southern California.
Those of us from there, thank you for this! ^

Quote:
Albuquerque is a place I should look into. I have never been. I spent a week in Portland,oregon. I have visited Phoneix and scottsdale many times. In Las Vegas I have visted Sumerlin and Green Valley ranch many times. If I moved to the phoenix area I would move to Scottsdale. In Las Vegas I would move to Sumerlin.
Just get out while the gettin' is good. New suburbia is waiting for you.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:06 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times
Tex, I too am a bit of a country guy but do not identify with Southern country culture. In the South they just take too much pride in being "country", almost as though they're just doing it now, not out of love for the sport but out of spite against the blue states. It's a total pride thing for a lot of them.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:36 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,035 times
Maybe you should consider Vegas. You could count cards like Dustin Hoffman in Rainman. Make a fortune!

Quote:
People could also be judging me because I have Aspergers Syndrome.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:32 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Nice Dennis Miller style rant but while these are problems that one can find in any big city I still think it varies from city to city. I never had any of these problems in Southern Cities, in fact I was the one flaking out on people. Women, not a problem. It never was in any city except for the Northern ones and in the West Coast to some extent. Bigger coastal cities expect more from people, I am sure it's the same in Chicago. These places seem HEAVILY influenced by the media. Every single time I visit NY, Boston, LA, or DC, I feel as though I am seeing life immitate art with how much the people resemble those on TV or the movies.
Yeah the thing about Southern cities is you run into other social issues that you may typically not have to deal with in more urban areas. Same goes for the midwest for the most part. Sure they'll be nice to you but you're also more likely to be judged by other things (race?). I'm not saying that's everywhere in the south but that's a prevailing issue.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Is there a big difference between living in the valley and say West LA? Is it literally like living Jersey or Long Island and NYC?

Studio City and Sherman Oaks closer to the hills have a less Valley-ish feeling I love.
You're kidding right? West LA and the Valley are totally different. Sure there's some intersecting groups of people but the overall lifestyle (cost of living being one of them) is just different.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Here's why I love LA.

Basically this: I'm more of a nature and outdoor person, but I do NOT at all identify with small town and rural culture. I like the cosmopolitan, melting pot, and I am left of center. The cities I prefer have less to do with the cities themselves, but with the variety of natural environments the surround the metro areas to enjoy and explore, and to meet and connect with people who like doing this too.

You are probably wondering, well wouldn't Seattle, Denver, and Portland be better for you then? Well, besides the fact that climate does limit some outdoor activities throughout the year, there are specific reasons why I love LA. The diversity. Hiking, and outdoor pursuits are not just something white people engage in! In my outdoor groups I belong to, there is everyone of every background partaking in enjoying the natural environments. Lets be honest, most other western cities are not exactly a melting pot. Also, I DON'T want everyone to be more rugged than me. I DON'T want everyone to be black diamond skiers. I DON'T want to be in an area where people are dressed ready to go backpacking all the time! I had enough of that in environmental science/natural resources curriculum in college. And that is a clique in and of itself. I also like to look good. Not in a narcissistic way, but I don't want to be looked upon as falling into the trap of consumerism just because I enjoy buying new clothes, etc.

I want to take city people, that don't get out much, and show them the beautiful places. In smaller western cities everyone knows that stuff, and if you are from east of the Mississippi or California, in other western states you kind of have to prove yourself.

Apart from the drop dead sexy, gorgeous model/actress, most cute women, will be delighted if you are just a regular nice guy.

So, in a nutshell, I like the outdoor lifestyles with the cosmopolitan melting pot, where you don't have to prove yourself in a red state culture. I tried doing that in college. I bought a shotgun and got into hunting, and haven't touched in about a decade. Its sitting in my cousins gun cabinet. But if I move to a RED state, I can tell all the guys that I own a gun, so just because I am newcomer from a blue state, I'm not coming here to "change your lifestyle with regulations"

Having said all that, I can easily and am open to living in many different areas of the country.

OK, that was a bit of a stream of consciousness cathartic dump.
Love it! totally dig this view of LA. That's what I try to tell people. IF you go to the LA vs SF or LA vs NY forums you get the whole, "LA is fake" thing but that's a generalization based on a small population of people in LA. Sure it's here, but there's so much more to LA than that. Also, not everyone that wants to be an actor is a jerk. I think the insecure people that aren't acting or whatever like to project that on them. Sometimes you run into the snobs (you'll see a lot in Beverly Hills) but for the most part LA is very laid back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles